Deeply concerned about symptoms

schweir1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone. Long story here, but I have been experiencing the following symptoms:

- Frequent Urination: Developed about 3 weeks ago and worsened up until about one and a half weeks ago, where I was going about 10 times a day. On some of these occasions I would only produce a small amount of urine, but on others occasions, quite a bit. It then got better for a few days, almost back to normal (~ 4 times per day) but over the last couple of days has worsened again.
- Fatigue: Feeling a bit fatigued or most of the day, but there is usually one period of about 2 hours (at varying times during the day) where it becomes worse, and I can not concentrate properly, although I can stay awake. Developed about the same time as the urination.
- Increased hunger: suddenly for the last couple of days, I have become increasingly hungry, particularly in the evening.
- Increased thirst: Again, came on about 2 weeks ago, before peaking about a week ago, and has got slightly better ever since.
- Cold hands and feet: My right hand especially has been feeling cold, but it is difficult to determine whether this is just down to the cold temperatures we have experienced for most of the winter. Developed in November / December.
- Head Pressure: Seems to develop on exertion (especially when running uphill / into wind) or when running long distances.

Other symptoms:
- "Weird" feeling in chest: Very difficult to describe - feels like my chest is almost rubbing against the skin, or expanded slightly. No pain whatsoever, and it doesn't feel like "an elephant is sat on my chest". Can last for seconds up to 40-50 minutes when walking. I can sometimes feel this sensation immediately after standing up, or at times, when sat down (especially when bent forward). Developed last July / August.
- Achy arms & legs: Now whenever I go for a walk or run, I feel an achy sensation in my thighs in particular, and occasionally in my calves. Again, this can come on immediately, and generally lasts for the duration of the exercise. Again, at times, this occurs at rest. Could be claudication?

Now, some further details.
BP: After a few attempts normally falls somewhere between 125-135 (can peak at 165 but the Doctor believes that this is White Collar syndrome)
Weight: In the normal BMI range ( Height ~ 185cm ; weight ~ 75kg)

Tests:
Glucose tests: Urine - normal. Fasting glucose - 4.6 mmol/ L. HbA1c - 32 mmol/mol
Echocardiogram - one slightly enlarged valve, but the Doctor who did the test did not see this as a particular issue. Ejection fraction was fine.
Electrocardiogram - had about 5, all normal.

I appreciate this might not be the correct forum, but I am still concerned that a lot of these symptoms are diabetes related, is it possible that the results might not yet show up the condition? I am also concerned that I might have heart disease given some of those symptoms, and the amount of chocolate I have eaten over the years, although I am only 21!?. Sorry about the long post, and thanks in advance for any replies. :)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. Long story here, but I have been experiencing the following symptoms:

- Frequent Urination: Developed about 3 weeks ago and worsened up until about one and a half weeks ago, where I was going about 10 times a day. On some of these occasions I would only produce a small amount of urine, but on others occasions, quite a bit. It then got better for a few days, almost back to normal (~ 4 times per day) but over the last couple of days has worsened again.
- Fatigue: Feeling a bit fatigued or most of the day, but there is usually one period of about 2 hours (at varying times during the day) where it becomes worse, and I can not concentrate properly, although I can stay awake. Developed about the same time as the urination.
- Increased hunger: suddenly for the last couple of days, I have become increasingly hungry, particularly in the evening.
- Increased thirst: Again, came on about 2 weeks ago, before peaking about a week ago, and has got slightly better ever since.
- Cold hands and feet: My right hand especially has been feeling cold, but it is difficult to determine whether this is just down to the cold temperatures we have experienced for most of the winter. Developed in November / December.
- Head Pressure: Seems to develop on exertion (especially when running uphill / into wind) or when running long distances.

Other symptoms:
- "Weird" feeling in chest: Very difficult to describe - feels like my chest is almost rubbing against the skin, or expanded slightly. No pain whatsoever, and it doesn't feel like "an elephant is sat on my chest". Can last for seconds up to 40-50 minutes when walking. I can sometimes feel this sensation immediately after standing up, or at times, when sat down (especially when bent forward). Developed last July / August.
- Achy arms & legs: Now whenever I go for a walk or run, I feel an achy sensation in my thighs in particular, and occasionally in my calves. Again, this can come on immediately, and generally lasts for the duration of the exercise. Again, at times, this occurs at rest. Could be claudication?

Now, some further details.
BP: After a few attempts normally falls somewhere between 125-135 (can peak at 165 but the Doctor believes that this is White Collar syndrome)
Weight: In the normal BMI range ( Height ~ 185cm ; weight ~ 75kg)

Tests:
Glucose tests: Urine - normal. Fasting glucose - 4.6 mmol/ L. HbA1c - 32 mmol/mol
Echocardiogram - one slightly enlarged valve, but the Doctor who did the test did not see this as a particular issue. Ejection fraction was fine.
Electrocardiogram - had about 5, all normal.

I appreciate this might not be the correct forum, but I am still concerned that a lot of these symptoms are diabetes related, is it possible that the results might not yet show up the condition? I am also concerned that I might have heart disease given some of those symptoms, and the amount of chocolate I have eaten over the years, although I am only 21!?. Sorry about the long post, and thanks in advance for any replies. :)
I'm sorry you have so many symptoms and worries. Given your A1c result, which is brilliant, I think, indeed I am SURE that you can cross diabetes off the list of health problems you are worrying about. OK eating tons of chocolate is not the best, but how many 21-year olds do you know who haven't done that or much MUCH worse? And think how much chocolate I had eaten by the time I found out I shouldn't, as the ripe old age of 75? (Clue - I LOVE chocolate!)

Maybe you could do with a few counselling sessions to help you talk through why you are feeling so anxious. CBT is often available on the NHS and might well suit you. And you could profit from your anxiety by starting a healthier eating plan. Even ration the chocolate to a few squares of the dark sort each day as a special treat?

schweir1

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm sorry you have so many symptoms and worries. Given your A1c result, which is brilliant, I think, indeed I am SURE that you can cross diabetes off the list of health problems you are worrying about. OK eating tons of chocolate is not the best, but how many 21-year olds do you know who haven't done that or much MUCH worse? And think how much chocolate I had eaten by the time I found out I shouldn't, as the ripe old age of 75? (Clue - I LOVE chocolate!)

Maybe you could do with a few counselling sessions to help you talk through why you are feeling so anxious. CBT is often available on the NHS and might well suit you. And you could profit from your anxiety by starting a healthier eating plan. Even ration the chocolate to a few squares of the dark sort each day as a special treat?
Thanks for the reply :) Yes it has been going on for so long now, I think I have developed some sort of anxiety too!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@schweir1 I agree about crossing diabetes off your list :)

People can 'over think' health conditions, it can become quite consuming when you over think something then check with 'dr google' who will lead you to believe it's cancer, diabetes, heart attack etc. I'd just start with ensuring you follow a healthy diet, stay off the sugar, get more exercise and take up something like meditation to help with the anxiety. Also speak to your friends,, you'd be surprised how many people over think these things..

Reactions: schweir1

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the reply :) Yes it has been going on for so long now, I think I have developed some sort of anxiety too!
At your age your immune system is so strong, it can help you recover from anything! Here is my prescription:- A new month is about to begin, and spring is almost here. It's a great time to make a new start and forge yourself a new super-healthy body and mind. You could pretend that you are going to spend the whole of March at a health spa. Everyday you will eat good fresh foods, sleep 8 hours a night, exercise and also, very important, do something you enjoy AND talk to another person. (You may be able to combine some of these.) You will be very busy! By the end of March spring will really be here and you will be in fantastic shape. Guarenteed!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What is "White Collar syndrome"?

White coat syndrome

Doctors used to wear white coats. White coat syndrome is when some people experience anxiety at the doctor's and blood pressure rises. It is a common syndrome. My GP once told me she mentally knocks 10 off the result of a test in her surgery.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your blood test results indicate that that you don't have diabetes.

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
peeing a lot can be the result of lots of things. have you been tested for diabetes insipidus.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you had your thyroid function checked out? Might be worth getting a check. Also a full blood panel to check platelet count etc. Can be used to diagnose / eliminate some of the less obvious candidates to consider such as anemia or inflammation due to infections. The symptoms you describe sound like possible diabetes, but it is not supported by the lab results so not likely to be diabetes.

Suggest keeping a food log noting symptoms as well. It may be an allergy or intolerance to certain foods, or conversely it could be a deficiency showing.

I am not medically trained so unable to give medical advice except to see your doctor/

Hi
I have exactly same symptoms what you have. Some days are fine other days are horrible. I keep going and it’s clear pee each time. Can you post your liver function tests like bilirubin alkaline phos and Ige levels please. I think it’s one of them.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi
I have exactly same symptoms what you have. Some days are fine other days are horrible. I keep going and it’s clear pee each time. Can you post your liver function tests like bilirubin alkaline phos and Ige levels please. I think it’s one of them.
Hi,

I'm sorry, but you posted in a thread that is about a year and a half old... The person who started this thread hasn't been around for a long time. Why are you asking about liverfunction? Doesn't have all that much to do with frequent urination far as I know... That'd be kidneyfunction and HbA1c, more likely. Have you gotten blood work done since the last time you posted here? Do you have the numbers to go with those results?

You could also have a chronic bladder infection, just something to look into, though I have a feeling you already have. If your GP isn't helpful, try getting a referral to a urologist.

Good luck!
Jo