Breakfast...Some Ideas Please!!

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My current go to breakfast is chocolate or strawberry chia pudding with a dollop of soya cream

Reactions: Granny_grump_

justadad

Almond flour and coconut flour pancakes. Easy to make. Low carb count.
Make more and refrigerate, they are good for the next couple of days, if not even longer.
My son loves them with peanut butter, marmalade or hazelnut choco spread (low carb ones, at least the labels say so).
I even like them plain. (I add vanilla and a bit of mashed apple, or pear)

enjoy

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
My diabetes nurse has told me to avoid fatty foods as they are really bad for diabetics,, saying that eggs can be bad for my cholesterol which she says is high at 5.1 and to pretty much avoid cheese which is a shame as I love cheese!!!!!!
Also is bacon not fatty?? Thanks for the helpful responses folks....

Find another nurse. She's / he's full of ****.

Edited by moderator for language.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry!! shes not diabetic, she is treating my diabetes....

Perhaps if she were a diabetic she might have different ideas. And she isn't treating your diabetes, she is mishandling it.

My diabetes nurse has told me to avoid fatty foods as they are really bad for diabetics,, saying that eggs can be bad for my cholesterol which she says is high at 5.1 and to pretty much avoid cheese which is a shame as I love cheese!!!!!!

Fat is good for diabetics. It does not raise blood sugar levels at all, in fact it helps.
Carbohydrate raises BS levels, and the more you eat, the higher your levels will become.
Carbohydrates deplete the good cholesterol (HDL)

Cholesterol high at 5.1? Have you any idea what this total cholesterol is made up of? You need to know the LDL, HDL, and triglycerides. The total is just that - a total of the good and the not as good. Maybe your good stuff is high? If you ask for a print out of the test results this information will be on there.

I am really angry with your nurse.

Reactions: Mark_1

deathbycoke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I'm retired now so I have a cooked breakfast come lunch fast from evening meal night before,keeps my weight loss in check and when I'm not stressed my BG too! K

You will gain lots of good information on here just read threads on forum and see how others have got there BG under control,believe me it wasn't by listening to our diabetic nurses,fats fill you up carbs turn into sugar you cannot control your BG eating mostly carbs they will not sustain you. That's why you will be hungry, we do follow different things on here but has your a newbie I will tag @daisy1 to send you some very good information for newbies take the time to read it. And Rome wasn't built in a day it takes time to work out what works best for You! Just test your BG before and 2 hours after food and see what the difference is in your reading with your amount of carbs and eating less carbs and filling up with full fat dairy bacon meats cheese nuts,etc the info. Is all on here look for it and ask a question if your unsure! K
Thanks for the help, that's much appreciated

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Most diabetes nurses tell you that Type 2 is a chronic progressive disease and you will keep on having to have more drugs.. this is mainly because if you follow their flawed advice that's exactly what will happen. They probably tell you to eat starchy carbs with every meal too. Fat keeps you feeling full so you end up eating less and better foods. I use fats for statiety and am not afraid of them. Butter, cream in coffee, cheese, eggs, bacon. These are real foods not processed rubbish like breakfast cereals that got us where we are in the first place. Ditch the bread, pasta, rice, potatoes and ditch diabetes.. hmm new catch phrase anyone?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Sorry to hear about your nurse. Do you know her name, and can you avoid her in future?

Your cholesterol is 5.1
That is below the national average. So it isn’t ‘high’.

It would appear that your nurse has not kept up to date with modern thinking.
Eating carbs (bread, rice, potato, pasta, sugar, sweet fruit...) will push up blood sugar levels.
If you stop/reduce carb intake then you need to replace those foods with something else, don’t you?
Protein and non-starchy veg are useful to fill you up, and so is eating a bit more cheese, butter, mayo, etc. Since fat does not push blood glucose up.
Dietary fats barely increase cholesterol. She should know this.
There are a number of ways to reduce bad cholesterol, and reducing carb and alcohol intake are amongst the quickest. Cutting sugary drinks like coke will make a big difference.

See if you can make an appointment with another nurse next time.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cooking food is really out of the question.
Hi sorry this is going to sound flippant but its not meant to be.

I know this is a repugnant idea, you could get up 1/2 and hour earlier to give yourself time for a cooked breakfast.
I have to get up at 4:30 some morning so I know its not an easy thing to do.
Sometimes the simplest solution is the best. ;)
:bag:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@deathbycoke

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All advice as to how to lower cholesterol is controversial, as is the thinking that cholesterol is harmful. IMO we don't really know. However the facts that raised bg is harmful and that eating carbs raises bg whereas cutting carbs lowers it are known to be true. (What is controversial is whether any other method also works to lower bg.) I too recently discovered that my bg is higher than ideal, and also my cholesterol. I decided to work on lowering my bg by cutting carbs, and also taking Metformin, and hoping that my cholesterol will look after itself. Some people have found that cutting carbs actually lowers cholesterol, others have found that cutting carbs raises their cholesterol at first but it goes down after a few months.

I don't think it is realistic to cut carbs AND fat. There are only 3 macro nutrients: carbohydrate, protein and fat. If you are greatly reducing one of the three, that's enough! You don't want to starve to death! Don't forget, all this is adjustable. You don't have to decide once for all exactly how you will eat for the rest of your life. You can try different strategies out and see how they work for you. Since I started this journey I have changed and changed again.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey deathbycoke, If you have time on the weekend, you can make a huge omelet with vegs, meats, cheese like grated Parm, throw in some herbs and bake in muffin tins. they will keep for about a week in the fridge. Just grab and go or heat in micro for about 1 minute. Freeze well too. Boiled eggs last about a week as well and you can peel them, add a dab of mayo, mustard on each half and away you go. Even a bit of avocado with them is lovely and fills you up til lunch time. I am assuming you are LCHF? You will find that each of us finds our own "good" way of eating for our blood sugars....some don't even eat breakfast!! A tin of tuna or salmon with mayo, avocado, seasoning is also yummy - think outside the box for your meals - get out of the mindset that certain foods are only for certain meals!! Cheers/L

Reactions: There is no Spoon

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can some of you wonderful people please give me some ideas on what to eat for breakfast??
I've always had just cornflakes but these seem to spike my BG.
I'll be honest and say I don't have mush time in the morning so cooking food is really out of the question.
I'm racking my brains but thought there may be some good ideas from you guys who have overcome this problem.
Thanks, Steve.....
Hi deathby coke, I work shifts so if I am on earlies (up at 4.45am) I make up a little 'packed lunch' as it were the night before, stick it in a bento box and take it with me. Sometimes this is cold meats (ie chicken/ham) or boiled eggs and some salad leaves with a sprinkle of nuts and crispy bacon. Sometimes it's some cheese. Anything that you normally eat during the day will do, not just so called 'breakfast items'.

deathbycoke

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Cook up good quality (low carb) sausages when you do have the time. Grab a couple from the fridge in the morning and eat on your feet. Slices of ham/salami/cheese/hard boiled egg can be eaten in the same way.
Breakfast doesn't have to something resembling cardboard, shaken out of a cardboard box.
Sally
Hi, Where do you get the low carb sausages and what are the called?. Thanks, Steve...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Where do you get the low carb sausages and what are the called?. Thanks, Steve...

They sell them in most supermarkets. I buy the Lidl ones or Hecks, which are 97% meat. The higher the meat content the less carbs there will be. Just look in the sausage range and read the nutrition labels.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Where do you get the low carb sausages and what are the called?
Err, "sausages". Seriously though, we buy sausages from a small local butcher, having questioned them on the recipe and tested blood sugars afterwards. After a while on a low carb diet, it's very easy to taste sugar and fillers, so even this is not absolutely essential.
Sally

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just look for those sausages with a high meat content most supermarkets sell them

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Find another nurse. She's / he's full of ****.

Edited by moderator for language.

Sorry for that. Just sometimes I get quite frustrated with the amount of inaccurate information thrust upon us by our so called professionals. I've been a victim of this kind of behaviour myself with significant consequences that are only just getting under control since I took personal supervision.
Glenn

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I take out frozen berries the night before.. put them in a ramekin in fridge and dollop on yogurt if I fancy breakfast. I have to try to eat something but for me its an effort.. this is the simplest thing for me..

If I forget to take out frozen berries they are microwaveable andI do really prefer them warm..

Takes less time than cornflakes..