Anyone remember these syringes?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About the only "old" thing I remember was my first glucometer that I got in 1984. It was in a zippered case, made of plastic, about 9"X 6". I had to put in the strip, drop blood on it, wait a minute, wipe it off with a cotton ball, and load it into the meter. It took another minute to get the blood sugar reading. Anyone remember those?

Reactions: Struma

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About the only "old" thing I remember was my first glucometer that I got in 1984. It was in a zippered case, made of plastic, about 9"X 6". I had to put in the strip, drop blood on it, wait a minute, wipe it off with a cotton ball, and load it into the meter. It took another minute to get the blood sugar reading. Anyone remember those?
We had BM sticks back then, same wait time but you compared the colours to the ones on the tub.after banging your finger with one of those horrible lancets to draw blood.

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ha ha yes we had to no choice all those years ago and dont forget we didnt think there would ever be an alternative but thank god there.is now I shudder when I think about those days!!

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is this the kit you mean.
View attachment 25512
I once wondered if the Clinitest tablets really boiled the urine and touched the bottom of the tube with my finger. They certainly did!
Aha! That thing was a constant fixture in our bathroom when I was growing up with my type 1 mum. I had no idea what it was. Just one of the things we had that other people didn’t...! I’m learning so much about my own past on these forums

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
You bet I do! In the late 1970s they were not designed for handbags, or pockets.

Last edited:

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Oh my goodness!! How did you do it, my worst nightmare :wideyed:
Hi @Llinz04 The following describes similar nightmares in 1966, while I was a Type 1 inpatient:

I remember a ginger haired and very tall boy coming in for an operation on an in-growing toenail, a girl coming in with non-stop hiccups who was applied to an oxygen mask, and a 12 year old girl (I think her name was Christine, but I can’t be certain) who was a newly diagnosed diabetic. The nurses took advantage of her arrival by pointing out that she was a girl and had started administering her own injections straight away and that I was being a wimp. Although I believed this, I stubbornly refused to “self-harm” way beyond Christine’s incarceration. One morning I surrendered and aimed the frighteningly thick Luer mounted needle towards my right thigh. Just like trying to remove a splinter with a sewing needle. Having made a bloody, but futile mess, one of the nurses whipped the syringe out of my hand and plunged it straight in. I was given an orange on which to practise, but I was not convinced that oranges have any sense of pain. It would be nearly Christmas before I was able to be discharged and even then I was not as stable as they would have liked

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm real glad I didn't have to go through the big needles, glass syringes era. I peed on the sticks and took NPH for about 4 months. Then MDI (Ultralente/Regular animal insulins) and the big glucometer from then on.

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cold weather, angry people, queues,
Can anyone remember the injection guns where you clipped the syringe on the top of the gun and pulled back onto a spring that then shot it through your skin? Cor the bruises they used to cause !

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I've just seen Dodos photo of the Palmer injection gun, it brought back memories OUCH1

Reactions: kev-w

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Were any of you old timers lucky enough to have a shot of the first ever pump? I wonder why it didn't catch on...

images (1).jpg

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Jaylee, do you remember the small cake for diabetics sealed inside a can and you needed a tin-opener to get to it? That was the Christmas treat I was given from the mid-60's. Never got it any other time as my folks, bless them, said it was too expensive.

Bill
Hi Bill, Just been rummaging in the loft. Found this from a December 1969 magazine! Considering a Kit-Kat would have been at the most 8d then - I actually think 6, 8/4d would equate to 12.5 Kit-Kats which is £8.75 in today's money. Would it have been worth opening the can?!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Was this advert sponsored by ExLax?! As for Trade Descriptions...
View attachment 25629
All so called diabetic food was very expensive in those days. I remember the Energen rolls which were lower carbohydrate. It was obvious why they were so low as when you broke one open they were virtually just an empty shell.
Also found these in a 1969 BDA journal!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
upload_2018-3-10_15-21-13.png
I've found a picture of the Hypoguard Automatic Injector which is exactly the same as the one I used. It's top right and is in amongst other diabetic 'museum pics' that folks here might find interesting. I'd love to know what the small piece of equipment bottom right is. Another hand-held injector?. The photographs are on a British site I've never heard of, I've spent some time this morning reading through it and it's now added to my browser favourites. I don't normally post links but it came up as a 'safe' site on both my virus and malware checkers. The link is:

https://type1bri.com/wp-content/gallery/jdrf-day/20161105_150759.jpg

Bill
Hi Bill, yet another 1969 advert:

Last edited:

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
View attachment 25398
Don't forget the Palmer Injector. Many a time the needle would shoot off the end of the syringe!
What is staggering is the price - by 1969 had reached 50/- which is around £70 in today's money!
Once again it won't load!

Last edited:

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Also found these
All so called diabetic food was very expensive in those days. I remember the Energen rolls which were lower carbohydrate. It was obvious why they were so low as when you broke one open they were virtually just an empty shell.
This was the other option in 1969
upload_2018-3-10_15-50-38.png

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
@rochari Hi Bill, I seem to be suffering from techno-senility. I'll try again for Rite Diet ad.
upload_2018-3-10_16-2-24.png

Very expensive!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes

jaywak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Can anyone remember the diabetic chocolate in the 70s I think it had a butterfly as the logo and I think coca cola Tab were the first to do sugar free coke in I think a pink can?