The SCREAM thread

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My 16yo daughter has had her learners permit for just over 24 hours. So far she has driven over 4 snow banks and the last one required my vehicle to be towed to a shop for loss of transmission fluid. Just waiting to see how much $$ this will cost me.

Thankfully the damage is minimal. The problem is the required parts aren’t available in Canada and have to be shipped from the U.S not major, just a broken fitting on the transmission cooler line. The mechanic will bypass the internal cooler while leaving the external cooler functional.
Teaching driving to someone completely clueless on how to operate a vehicle is nerve wracking to say the least. She cried for over an hour about breaking my vehicle. I’ll have to get her back behind the wheel in an empty lot to practice turns.

Just got the repair bill for my daughter’s first time behind the wheel. $2500.00 ugh!!!
Hi,
Just been following this... Is the vehicle an automatic..? (Just sounds like auto from the description of damage?)
I'm in the UK. I hope they just literally "towed" the vehicle for more than a few meters up onto a "flatbed" if it is?
As opposed to putting it in neuteral & pulling it a number of miles to,the garage for repair....
Not good for the auto box even if the ATF is not leaking..!

The repair bill you had (after a rough conversion to £s sterling.) sounds a little like a new auto box to me? :banghead:

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I don't scream because I haven't any children. Bliss

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
Husband and I were going on a weekend birding trip on Friday, but we've had to cancel as we've both got flu. And yes, we had the flu jab. I've still got a temperature of 38.4, for the third day running. My eyes have gone funny so I can't read. We take it in turns to 'crawl' to the kitchen to prepare food. I'm eating weetabix to keep my pecker up - normally low carb.
My worst problem is the pain round my middle when I cough.
One of my sons has Amazon Prime and sent us a proper ear thermometer -ordered 8 pm, monday and arrived yesterday midday.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Husband and I were going on a weekend birding trip on Friday, but we've had to cancel as we've both got flu. And yes, we had the flu jab. I've still got a temperature of 38.4, for the third day running. My eyes have gone funny so I can't read. We take it in turns to 'crawl' to the kitchen to prepare food. I'm eating weetabix to keep my pecker up - normally low carb.
My worst problem is the pain round my middle when I cough.
One of my sons has Amazon Prime and sent us a proper ear thermometer -ordered 8 pm, monday and arrived yesterday midday.
Hope you feel better soon

Gannet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Showbiz
Hope you feel better soon

Thanks. I'm screaming because I've missed the trip to Slimbridge and Ham Walls. It could be worse though, I could have been taken ill on holiday and that would have been dreadful. I'm still having to stay in bed, though my husband is up and about but by no means well.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
What is it about youngsters and the stuff they put into their mouths? My youngest has just been telling me about 'Tide Bombs' (yes, I had to ask, too).
A Tide Bomb is one of those liquitabs you put into the washing machine in place of soap powder. You do not get a buzz from it but do it after a dare. Kids have died! Can you imagine the damage done even if you survive?

My lad said 'Oh well, it takes the scum off of the top of the gene pool'. Arghhhh! Whatever will the next fashion be? Shooting up Fairy Liquid?

Cumberland

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Foodwise Nuts & Mushrooms (Vomit)
I’m screaming about the snow

Aaaaarrgh

Better

D

debrasue

Not so much a scream as an unburdening, prior to moving on...

My mother and I have never had the closest relationship in the world, but she’s still my mum and I do call her each week for a chat, and to make sure she’s ok and doesn’t need anything. She’s 89, badly disabled with fibromyalgia and RA, and lives with my brother and his family in what used to be our childhood home.

I’ve been trying to call her all this week, both on her mobile (which she frequently switches off “to save the battery”) and on the family landline, to no avail. I’ve not been unduly worried, however, because I was sure if anything was wrong they would have let me know.

Apparently not. I had a call from my mother this evening to say that she’s been in hospital since Wednesday!

For the past 4 months or so she has been having a daily visit from a district nurse to dress some long-standing (+2 years) ulcers on her legs, and it was decided on Wednesday that she was in danger of losing her legs if she didn’t have surgery as a matter of urgency.

I’m not at all surprised to hear the prognosis, as I had suspected it for the past 6 months or more, although my mother didn’t choose to discuss it. But I am very surprised - and more than a little put out - that nobody in the family felt the need to tell me that she was in hospital.

I’ll get over it. But it has driven another wedge into the ever-widening chasm between me and the rest of my birth family. Thank goodness that nowadays I am blessed with a close-knit, loving and much loved family of my own.

Thanks for listening. :shy:

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have the closest relationship with my Dad (my Mum died many years ago) or with his wife, but I would be annoyed if I didn't hear something like that. However, given that Dad's wife was straight on the phone to me and my brother when he went into Hospital for a hip replacement some years ago, it seems as if channels of communication are working OK. Long may it continue: I would never want to wash my hands of my Dad, however much of a challenge he can be.....

Reactions: gemma_T1 and heh
D

debrasue

I don't have the closest relationship with my Dad (my Mum died many years ago) or with his wife, but I would be annoyed if I didn't hear something like that. However, given that Dad's wife was straight on the phone to me and my brother when he went into Hospital for a hip replacement some years ago, it seems as if channels of communication are working OK. Long may it continue: I would never want to wash my hands of my Dad, however much of a challenge he can be.....
I’m glad that your stepmother keeps you informed, Jay, and that you still persevere to maintain a relationship with your dad. Families are very important in building our perceptions of who we are and the nature of our place in the world.

heh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@debrasue & @jay hay-char Families are strange things and the saying "you can't choose your family" is so true. I come from a large family, I'm the youngest of 6 kids and I don't have a close relationship with any of them and in fact one brother I avoid like the plague (not difficult as he lives in Liverpool and I live in Kent :hilarious:).
I am very lucky now though to have a wonderful family of my own; daughter, son & DIL.

@debrasue I hope your mum is ok and they can get her legs sorted.

D

debrasue

@debrasue & @jay hay-char Families are strange things and the saying "you can't choose your family" is so true. I come from a large family, I'm the youngest of 6 kids and I don't have a close relationship with any of them and in fact one brother I avoid like the plague (not difficult as he lives in Liverpool and I live in Kent :hilarious:).
I am very lucky now though to have a wonderful family of my own; daughter, son & DIL.

@debrasue I hope your mum is ok and they can get her legs sorted.
Thanks heh:)

Reactions: ickihun

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Van drivers parking in front of my window so they can still have a nice clear view out of there own

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not my scream but hubby's

We popped into a local Subway for a bite to eat and hubby is not impressed that now you cannot buy a full sugar drink in there, it's all diet brands. I've tried explaining its sugar tax and companies wont pay it but he's still a very angry bunny

All I think is it means there's more for me to chose from rather than the just diet coke/pepsi they used to serve

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Not my scream but hubby's

We popped into a local Subway for a bite to eat and hubby is not impressed that now you cannot buy a full sugar drink in there, it's all diet brands. I've tried explaining its sugar tax and companies wont pay it but he's still a very angry bunny

All I think is it means there's more for me to chose from rather than the just diet coke/pepsi they used to serve

That’s diabolical

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I thought I'd come here and scream.

I think I have another pressing health problem.... It feels never ending.

I'm sick of going to see GP about all my various ailments.
I'm even there holding hubby's hand this morning.
Hoping his is curable by less alcohol or a tablet.

I have suspected CES. I cannot feel a poo coming out so don't know when to complete it. Just get a constipation feeling in my bowel.
ARGH! !!
I want to wait til 24th for my assessment but nhs info says see gp immediately or A&E.
I don't want to do either.
I'm fed up of doctors, tablets and pain!!!!

Reactions: Freema