Alcohol eeek!!

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good for you! Congratulations! Will enjoy one glass of wine in your honour and another for my son (he's over a year into it and I'm so proud of him). It's a tough road but keep on it.

Thank you that’s lovely to hear. Good on him.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yes I remember my dear old dad saying when I was kid and fallen over skinning a knee "Get up and for god sake stop that mithering"

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
eg Metformin.
That was my first concern. I have almost every type of alcohol one could imagine at home but rarely drink. I do always have red wine when eating at relatives who don't understand what low carb means and when having celebratory family meals. Works well for me also love brandy, bourbon and single malts - no mixers. All work well and allow flexibilty in diet without making a fuss in restaurants and other people's homes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peadair O Brionn

Raj2512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm a T1 so not sure how it would relate to T2. I limit my drinking to vodka mixed with soda (carbonated water and not coke) and I ensure that I dont drink empty stomach. So something to much upon like almonds is always there.

Cocktails are a big no as most contain syrups with high sugar content.

I am a bit confused on beer as at times my BG shoots up and on other occassions it stays normal. My best bet with beer has been to have a mug (330 ml) whilst ordering food and another mug to wash the food down.

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me
Whisky and Diet Coke before bed
tames overnight highs and lows

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
XXXX Gold which is a low carb mid strength 3.5% beer. I

It tastes as good as it looks.

nzw4v.jpg

Only banana benders like it.

D

Deleted member 308541

Only banana benders like it.
Nothing like a nice cold Goldy, when you're eating a feed of mud crabs and prawns mate.

Queensland State of Origin rugby league team are sponsored by XXXX Gold as well, makes you wonder if that's what the secret is of Queensland winning 11th straight series in 12 years over the NSW Cockerroaches. :D

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Never mind this year. This decade. Ahh that's better.

Bud1979

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Fiona29 - As the others have said, sensible drinking of alcohol is fine, if you can avoid the sweet stuff. Very dry white wine, or champagne, red wine of spirits, plus a diet mixer are fine. Bears tend to be tricky for T2, not on hefty medication and any cocktails involving sugary syrupy would likely be a challenge.
Bears, I wouldn’t be so cruel plus they’ve got teeth and claws ! Stick to beer, I find it tastes less of bear

Reactions: Fiona29

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My nurse once told me that red wine is an excellent choice as not only is it heart healthy, but also helps lower BS levels whilst it is in your system, but warned me not to use it as medicine!! She also said it is best taken with or after food and not before. I ignored that bit because I like a small glass before dinner.

Most alcohols will lower your blood sugar. Hence why they are not recommended on top of medication which does the same.....

Zilsniggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry for keep mithering, I'm still getting used to this lol.
Here goes.... is alcohol a definite no no?

Really it depends if you're on medications or not. A few drinks of an evening aren't too bad, if they're wine, spirits, diet mixers. Cocktails tend to be high in sugar as do alcopops. Beers and ciders are too high carb and tend to play havoc with blood sugar most of the time. Check your BG before and one hour after and then 2 hours after a drink to find out how it affects your sugar, that's really the only way to find out. A rise of less than 2mmol or 20 points would indicate that the drink is ok to have in moderation.