Need to GAIN weight and maintain low BG level!

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m in the small minority of T2Ds that needs to put weight on and also keep BG level down and it really depresses me at times. The vast majority of advice and support relates to shedding weight which is the last thing I need to do. I’ve got pretty good control of my BG levels due to LCHF diet, but I really could do some suggestions about how I can maintain acceptable BG levels AND put on a bit of weight.

Any suggestions will be welcome as I feel a bit of an isolate.

Dave

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Very good question Dave and should be promoted. I have no idea when you're doing LCHF so someone would have a few ideas. What is your weight?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
The physical route is to lift weights. In your position I would go slowly hitting each muscle group almost daily with good form.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
More fat and a bit more protein?
If your body has settled on a weight it likes it can be hard to move in either direction.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Very good question Dave and should be promoted. I have no idea when you're doing LCHF so someone would have a few ideas. What is your weight?
Currently a bit above 8 stone/ 51kg. I was once about 65 kg. I've lost all my body fat and need to put some on. I'm quite active and do a lot of hard work in our big garden and cycle about 1000 miles a year.

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure if your aware of the calorie deficit for gaining/losing weight so forgive me if you do but we'll use 2000 calories per day as the average. When people want to lose weight, they'll eat 500 calories under 2000 so this way they'll lose about a pound a week because one pound of fat is like 3500 calories but in your case it would be eating 500 calories over the 2000 to put on weight

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Whoa ... that ain't much. Your BMI I guess would be less than ideal. So many members need and want to lose weight. You're the reverse. A dietician (a good one) might have a few clues. But still, a valued comment.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You are not alone as I am in the same position. I am constantly having to claw my way out of the underweight category of BMI and it has become quite wearing. 'Watching' your thread for more ideas.
The additional problem of not having the option to build muscle is, I think, hampering me.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Have you kept a food diary to see how many calories you're consuming and then just .... up it? Lots of snacks - cheese, nuts etc. (I'm guessing you've already tried this but thought I'd put it out there just in case.)

Reactions: Bea56

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
cycle about 1000 miles a year.
I think you might be selling yourself short there mate that averages out to less than 3 miles a day.

My advice would usually be gain weight by adding muscle mass and eating more protein after exercise. But looking at your figures you posted
"January 2018 HbA1c - 46mmol/mol. diet controlled' (LCHF) in the 'pre-diabetic / non-diabetic' category. "

I guess the simplest solution if you can handle it would be to up your carbs. Is that an option for you?
By upping carbs and exercising more to control bg levels you should be able to gain weight and keep bg down.
(in theory at least)

I read a little while back we can become carb intolerant on prolonged LC diet so I would expect some rocketing bg levels until your body adjusts. ;)
:bag:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m in the small minority of T2Ds that needs to put weight on and also keep BG level down and it really depresses me at times. The vast majority of advice and support relates to shedding weight which is the last thing I need to do. I’ve got pretty good control of my BG levels due to LCHF diet, but I really could do some suggestions about how I can maintain acceptable BG levels AND put on a bit of weight.

Any suggestions will be welcome as I feel a bit of an isolate.

Dave

Miahara - I'm a skinny old girl, dancing around the lower healthy weight threashold, into under. When I had some surgery a couple of years ago that got a bit complicated (I'll spare you the details of my lady bumps), I found myself having lost a couple of kilos I really needed to get back.

On an appointment to have my dressing changed, I was bemoaning my predicament, only to be told it would take me several months to achieve (largely because of the surgical complication I'd had), but also because she actually understood reduced carb living.

In the end it took me about 3 months to gain 2kg by upping my protein a bit, and my fat a lot, and sticking with it. As I had been told it would take a while, I didn't become disheartened.

I've just gone to check my blood tracker for the period in question.My pre-op assessment HbA1c was 33, then 4 months later, so following my gaining efforts, it was 33. I call that a win.

Good luck with it all.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @miahara maybe you need to eat some more of that fabulous sounding chocolate avocado ice cream that you had me drooling about! Saw someone make it on TV last night and it made me think of you! Seriously need to get an ice cream maker so I can try it!! It sounds like you are getting on better with your diet control only status - I think initially you were a bit concerned they were rising a bit more than you wanted? Hope they are where you want them now. I think @DCUKMod has the best advice for you as she has experience to back her up! Take care on the roads when you are cycling! Regards/L

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Based on your activity level, you could probably up your protein intake. You could use a very low carb protein powder if you are not comfortable with eating more solid protein foods or the expense of it. And see how it goes. How does it affect your bg levels etc. Adding muscle mass takes time. You could drink it before getting on the bike or after it, or during etc. Depends on how long you are riding for. Mix it with water, add some sweetener if need be. Just read the label to see what's in it. Many are full of ****.

Weights are good, but if you don't enjoy it, you won't stick with it long term and if you are already very active and enjoy what you are doing now and that takes up most of your time, then perhaps adding more intense exercise is not the answer. That's up to you. I'd say 2 or 3 times a week would be enough if you wanted to try it. You have to allow time to recover, the older you get, the more recovery time you need imo, based on my own experience with it.

I do think you need to eat more, that's what it comes down to. I'm in the same boat. You have to find a balance with what keeps bg levels where you want them and be able to eat enough on LCHF. Personally, I have decreased the fat content and increased the protein. That has stopped my weight dropping and have gained a few kgs and maintaining. Still need to gain more, but it's a slow process. And a case of re-adjusting once you plateau for some period of time.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
This popped up in my youtube feed today. I was unaware of how little actual protein there is in foods which I thought were 'high'. Worth a look if, like me, you have taken protein for granted.
The lass waffles on for the first few minutes of this half hour presentation but bear with her as what she has to say about fats and protein is pertinant. For those interested, she touches on PCOS and Crohns.

Reactions: Ledzeptt

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
we'll use 2000 calories per day as the average. When people want to lose weight, they'll eat 500 calories under 2000

These are good guidelines but if I use the Harris Benedict formula for me personally my RMR is 2300 and my BMR is 2800 so at 2000 calories I should lose weight. I can't eat anything like the recommendation without gaining weight.

I've always felt (so no empirical evidence) that dieting (to lose or to gain) is not an exact science. The Harris Benedict formula is just one of several formulae that can be used to calculate how much one should eat. Not necessarily 100% accurate but a decent starting point. In theory, if you use the Harris Benedict formula and input your desired weight rather than your actual weight it should tell you how many calories to eat.

What the formulae don't do is take into account the rate at which you burn calories, it makes an attempt to do this by including multipliers for your level of activity. Not only is metabolism different from person to person but even within the individual it changes. It's why I lose weight on holiday and my wife always gains weight. All the dieting books say that 3500 calories is the equivalent to one pound and it's a good guideline but doesn't reflect my holiday losses or my wife's gains.

Diet isn't an exact science.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @miahara - sorry to go off topic slightly but saw your post and wondered how your going with your bs since you dropped the gliclizide? - did you manage to get your numbers down and settled? - just curious- as you know I never did and had to take the lowest dose gliclizide back which was disappointing- sorry for derailing ;)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure if your aware of the calorie deficit for gaining/losing weight so forgive me if you do but we'll use 2000 calories per day as the average. When people want to lose weight, they'll eat 500 calories under 2000 so this way they'll lose about a pound a week because one pound of fat is like 3500 calories but in your case it would be eating 500 calories over the 2000 to put on weight
Ragmar, true, but it is hard to eat 2500 calories (or less for women) when you're on low carb, I think that's what Miahara means? I get where he is coming from, I am at the very low end of the BMI chart but I baulk at the idea of eating yet more cheese and nuts!!!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am working with a (training)client trying to gain after illness. He uses MyFitnessPal to encourage him to hit a kcal target though I think in your case a protein target and frequent snacking may help encourage a little release of insulin and hence more fat storage. Could you add in a little more carb also during this regaining phase? Cronometer or My Fitness Pal both do the same thing and you can set a weight gain target plus activity level to get soem targets. He has no appetite so finds these apps useful to remind him to eat frequently!
Remember you will not gain muscle mass unless you are exceding what your body needs to maintain itself. As with losing weight stress management and sleep will come into play too in getting your body back to your 'fighting weight' whatever that turns out to be.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You may want to ask the Doc for the tests for T1. Mis-diagnosis is common where someone is slim and losing weight but they are diagnosed wrongly as T2. I'm guessing, but a few of us have been down that route. A lack of insulin production will make the body burn fat and raise blood sugar. A C-peptide test will show your insulin level.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi. You may want to ask the Doc for the tests for T1. Mis-diagnosis is common where someone is slim and losing weight but they are diagnosed wrongly as T2. I'm guessing, but a few of us have been down that route. A lack of insulin production will make the body burn fat and raise blood sugar. A C-peptide test will show your insulin level.

Some of us really are slim/thin T2s. At diagnosis I had not seen any changes at all in weight, I was asked to lose 7lbs and this I think was just so that the DN could tick all of her boxes.
I actively lost weight, there was never any unexplained loss.