High HbA1c

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel for him. If there's one thing I've learned in recent weeks, it's that no matter how well controlled you are for months, all it takes is one day of "taking your eye off the ball" to be reminded that you are T2.

Taking your eye off the ball even slightly can easily lead to several times the calorie intake, and even more likely, several times the carb intake. I imagine his being on the road a lot doesn't help. The best control I ever had was when I was off work and at home all the time, with my food scales, spreadsheet etc!

It's just possible he's still got raised bg from the flu, even if that was weeks ago. But if you are conscious of him taking the eye of the ball, plus some of the other things you mention, then it's probably best to focus on those:

on the plus side he's gained just over a stone.

His work is also physical when he's not driving. He's 62.

He's just said to me he's done around 4,000 calories worth of work - exercise - today so what can he eat to put back the calories

Hi Resurgam
I do a chocolate roulade no flour no fat

Reading between the lines, or rather reading the exact lines I've quoted and ignoring the rest, he seems like a good candidate for a Low Carb High Fat diet. I.e. it seems he doesn't need to lose weight, and he burns a lot of calories.

So for example, maybe the "no fat" chocolate roulade should be replaced with a very high fat, very low carb roulade :)

And

a cereal type oat based breakfast with milk, normally a sandwich

could be replaced with bacon, sausage, coconut porridge (ask @Rachox :)) for beakfast, and something else for lunch that doesn't involve bread.

For example:

I think he's taken his eye off the ball a bit, eating bits and pieces from the bakers when he's on the road etc

If he must eat on the road / do fast food, one option is KFC. 3 pieces of chicken, about 20g carbs. Or a cooler box with an ice block in the car with a virtually-no-carb lunch inside.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh as @AdamJames says the Diet Dr low carb coconut porridge makes a good warm filling start to the day. I have it every morning with strawberries and cream :hungry:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/recipes/keto-coconut-porridge
I didn’t mention it earlier because of his problem with eggs. But as you’ve now said eggs within a recipe are ok, then maybe this would be suitable too?

Reactions: AdamJames

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The are some lovely low carb but very filling soups around - I buy mine in Waitrose. Most are around 20g carb for 600ml. If I'm out and about, I heat it at home and take in a flask - it easily keeps warm for 6 hours. If I'm going to be in the office, I heat it in the microwave in a plastic bowl. I have this with cheese and nuts, and follow with a few strawberries. If your husband needs more than that, he could also have some protein - a chicken breast, or a tin of tuna with a small salad.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Alexandra, he's difficult. We have chickens so he's not big on eating it especially cold and deffo not a leg. His go to since Xpert has been beans on toast or supermarket sandwich if he's out. Likewise mayonnaise makes him heave (raw eggs) I eat it so it's always in the fridge, if it wasn't for the allergy thing I'd do raw egg choc mousse etc. I cook loads of Vegs but he never puts much on his plate, I fill up on veg then I don't need/want anything else. He said he's got a sweet tooth, I said, well my teeth are the same as yours....he had antibiotics and steroids in Feb so possibly that's contributed to the high reading. I don't buy anything naughty e.g meringue nests but they're always in the cupboard, likewise ice cream in the freezer (which I don't eat cos it hurts my teeth)!

I hope the glucophage works without making him ill!
Thank you

this medication Glucophage only helps very little and is almost just a stick to lean at , and definitely not near at being a cure... maybe it can lower blood glucose 1-2 mmol and that is close to nothing when bloods are more like 15 mmol in average...

somebody ought tell him how difficult he is and his choice is really :" will he have a healthy life or will he gain more and more adding diseases...?" having a average blood glucose over around 7.5 it where all the adding and bad conditions really bloom... and steal life quallity from a person... most do regret when they are hit by eternal infections that they didn´t face the reality faster and took responsibillity themselves before it got that cronic

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
@myracat
This side dish recipe is so good. If he likes cauliflower and cheese, he'll really enjoy this (use the full fat version of sour cream and cream instead of milk). I've also made it with 1/2 broc 1/2 cauli. I also leave the cauli fairly chunky. Note: it's an American recipe so the carbs are less than what's indicated (subtract the fibre from the carbs to give you the net carbs).

He probably won't even miss potatoes with this dish!

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/recipe-loaded-cauliflower-bake/

yorkshiremen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Don't give up I have red berries and cream every day and jelly and cream, i never get bored with it have the meals you like but leave the pasta or rice out avoid the sandwiches and instead have tuna with mayonnaise with some salad easy to box up if he's at work my numbers were 140 and now in the 35 and have no need to take my medication now. Good luck

hi
I have posted on here before but now we have a fresh set of challenges. My OH t2 was controlling his diabetes with diet and got down from somewhere near 150 to 55 with diet including doing the Expert course. He has just been to the surgery for his 3 month check and his latest reading is 111. Now he has had the flu, cough syrups etc and struggled to eat for about 3 week, we have also had Christmas and New Year. I think he's taken his eye off the ball a bit, eating bits and pieces from the bakers when he's on the road etc, on the plus side he's gained just over a stone. His legs are still like sticks however. They have prescribed SR glucophage 1 to be taken at night. Sadly he cannot eat eggs as a meal as he is allergic to them and they make him sick so he has a cereal type oat based breakfast with milk, normally a sandwich and a yoghurt for lunch then it's over to me for an evening meal which must include a dessert. I'm looking for high cal low carb meals if there is such a thing! (I on the other hand need to lose a bit!). Last night he was extremely depressed and said he'd have a carrot for pudding! Some of my ideas include home made flour less sponge with sugar free custard and a bit of fruit (like trifle) or quark with a bit of grated chocolate but it doesn't do it for him really. So is this a blip, is he just settling down? Is there a chart anywhere which tells you how many grammes of carb you should have in a day? He has changed to brown rice and wholewheat pasta and doesn't eat so much of it, I'm not sure where we're going wrong. His work is also physical when he's not driving. He's 62. Tia

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Maybe you could go on a world cruise for 6 months and leave him to sort himself out? Then we might even have the pleasure of meeting him here! Seriously, could you lavish a bit more loving care on yourself, and less on trying to rescue him?
Well that would be lovely! The chance of seeing him on a forum is zero, he's not even that good with a mobile phone!
However, we travel a lot with our work and I'm concerned about him getting ill somewhere else, plus I can't run the business alone, he needs to be as well as possible! Tonight was a success though, chicken and loads of veg plus strawberries and cream and he's full! Although he had some nuts first. Baby steps! Ps I'd love to be pampered!

Reactions: rom35

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@myracat
This side dish recipe is so good. If he likes cauliflower and cheese, he'll really enjoy this (use the full fat version of sour cream and cream instead of milk). I've also made it with 1/2 broc 1/2 cauli. I also leave the cauli fairly chunky. Note: it's an American recipe so the carbs are less than what's indicated (subtract the fibre from the carbs to give you the net carbs).

He probably won't even miss potatoes with this dish!

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/recipe-loaded-cauliflower-bake/
That sounds lush, thank you

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
counting the number of grams of carbs eaten in a day is essential to get HbA1c down for a type 2 diabetic.. , all kinds of meat are fine to eat, avoacado, and nuts too and olives,.... many kinds of cheese also contain very little levels of carb.. so does LIDLs protein rolls that are a much better choice than bread in general

what to avoid , grain, wheat, bread almost all kinds cakes , potatoes and corn, sugar, juice, fruit

the better choice is to eat most vegs grown over ground like tomatoes, cucumber, spinach, cale,cauliflower, broccolli, leak and so on.. berries

all carbs count in the counting... and white bread is actually just as bad as sugar...

here is some links to low carb foods and treats... to make

https://draxe.com/low-carb-desserts/

https://www.lowcarblab.com/low-carb-snack-ideas-recipes-sweet-salty/

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/g3593/low-carb-recipes/
Thanks for that, just went to Lidl, no rolls and avocados were rock hard, however we found a chicken dish in Lidl quite low carb with cheese and it was delicious. I'm worried about what it's all going to cost though, spelt, lentils, all the things I normally fill him up with are too high

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tonight was a success though, chicken and loads of veg plus strawberries and cream and he's full! Although he had some nuts first
Given that you still think he needs to GAIN weight, why not nuts first? I do think though that it would be a good idea to get back to after-meal testing, to evaluate how various foods and quantities are affecting him. I and many / most Forumites find that eating more fat does satisfy. Perhaps if he could bring himself to eat a breakfast high in protein and fat instead of carbs, he might feel less desperate for sandwiches at lunch-time. Also, nuts and bits of cheese need no preparation and can easily be carried for emergency snacking.

If he can control his bg, I know of no reason why he should get ill while travelling. However, I did know a very nice man who was diagnosed diabetic but paid it absolutely no attention. One day he went to Ireland on a fishing trip and fell in to a diabetic coma. Luckily for him the Irish emergency services did him proud and saved his life: he couldn't speak highly enough of them. He then began to take diabetes seriously, but sadly it was a bit late and the last time I saw him he had almost no feeling in his hands. If you think shock tactics might help, you could show your husband the Panorama "the Hidden Killer" documentary on diabetes. But be warned, it really is shocking.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
avocados were rock hard
That's the often the trouble with avocados. I buy them hard and put them in a bowl on top of the microwave (the warmest place in my kitchen, as that's how I do almost all my cooking). I try to have some ripe and some coming along all the time. If I cut into a hard avocado by mistake, I have found that all is not lost. I put the halves into a closed dish and microwave very briefly. Be careful though as the part of the avocado just under the skin gets very hot when microwaved. In a way, that's typical of diabetic-friendly cookery. That is, preparation and fore-sight is key. I find this the hardest aspect. I would like to be able sometimes to eat quickly and spontaneously, but making a whole meal out of cheese and nuts (yes, I have been known to do this!) is not ideal.

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
That's the often the trouble with avocados. I buy them hard and put them in a bowl on top of the microwave (the warmest place in my kitchen, as that's how I do almost all my cooking). I try to have some ripe and some coming along all the time. If I cut into a hard avocado by mistake, I have found that all is not lost. I put the halves into a closed dish and microwave very briefly. Be careful though as the part of the avocado just under the skin gets very hot when microwaved. In a way, that's typical of diabetic-friendly cookery. That is, preparation and fore-sight is key. I find this the hardest aspect. I would like to be able sometimes to eat quickly and spontaneously, but making a whole meal out of cheese and nuts (yes, I have been known to do this!) is not ideal.
Yes the microwave is the warmest place I too do most of the cooking in the microwave including porridge. The rest of our house is freezing, I’ve been very worried because his hands have been so cold which is not like him at all

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
042CB2E0-48C9-4F14-8D99-95F2665F2DA4.jpeg
Looks interesting, can you see the egg or does it disappear?

Here’s a picture of it made!

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Given that you still think he needs to GAIN weight, why not nuts first? I do think though that it would be a good idea to get back to after-meal testing, to evaluate how various foods and quantities are affecting him. I and many / most Forumites find that eating more fat does satisfy. Perhaps if he could bring himself to eat a breakfast high in protein and fat instead of carbs, he might feel less desperate for sandwiches at lunch-time. Also, nuts and bits of cheese need no preparation and can easily be carried for emergency snacking.

If he can control his bg, I know of no reason why he should get ill while travelling. However, I did know a very nice man who was diagnosed diabetic but paid it absolutely no attention. One day he went to Ireland on a fishing trip and fell in to a diabetic coma. Luckily for him the Irish emergency services did him proud and saved his life: he couldn't speak highly enough of them. He then began to take diabetes seriously, but sadly it was a bit late and the last time I saw him he had almost no feeling in his hands. If you think shock tactics might help, you could show your husband the Panorama "the Hidden Killer" documentary on diabetes. But be warned, it really is shocking.

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I will get the ingredients and try it on him. Is it very coconutty? He likes Malibu !

myracat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Hi Alexandra, he’s just said he was told he doesn’t go low ever only high so no comas? I don’t know what’s right and what’s wrong! Tia

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I will get the ingredients and try it on him. Is it very coconutty? He likes Malibu !

It does indeed taste coconutty! It’s strange I wasn’t keen on coconut before I went low carb. My tastes have changed, I wasn’t keen on sweet peppers either but enjoy them now too!

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes the microwave is the warmest place I too do most of the cooking in the microwave including porridge. The rest of our house is freezing, I’ve been very worried because his hands have been so cold which is not like him at all
I used to love cooking porridge in the microwave, completely avoiding the punishing task of washing up the porridge pan. If the cold hands problem is recent, maybe it is a diabetic complication that can be reversed by ongoing low bg. Might that help motivation? Meanwhile, I too have terribly cold hands and have greatly benefitted from these battery operated handwarmers.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cookey-Rechargeable-Electronic-Portable-Motorola/dp/B01M4QCB9F
The Cookey ones I bought seem not to be available any more, but there are others similar on Amazon.