Dear judgemental person

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou for that , it has been most informative , I will try again , I do prefer eating nuts and fried eggs , I never really knew what my dad ate ( except at meal times) as he had a secret stash. I see myself ending up injecting if I can't give up chocolate & wine . ( wine not every day mind and definitely not alcoholic) ~` Many thanks Pre- Diet
Dark chocolate (70% +) is OK, A couple of squares a day is a real low carb treat. I have worked my way up to 99% now, even lower carb, but it takes a bit of getting used to. dry red wine isn't too bad as a treat.

Last edited:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Current evidence is pointing towards carb consumption playing a far larger part in atherosclerosis than fat ( it is in fact showing that fat is neutral to beneficial). Cardiac events are prevalent in uncontrolled Type 2 diabetics with higher than usual blood sugars so hence a lot of us use the LCHF diet to keep blood sugars low, reduce insulin stimulation thus allowing our bodies to burn fat which in turn leads to weight loss. I would go for LCHF (using fats to maintain satiety) over Slimming World, Weight Watchers or any other commercially based dietary regime. For me, to put it simply, it has worked.

My hubbys postmortem showed normal liver and no artherosclerosis from low carb higher fat diet... didnt stop him dying at 51 from aortic dissection though!! Some aortic problems diet will not alter...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubbys postmortem showed normal liver and no artherosclerosis from low carb higher fat diet... didnt stop him dying at 51 from aortic dissection though!! Some aortic problems diet will not alter...
Very sorry to hear about your husband.. somehow I had missed it completely and well done for a great article in the DM I had missed that too. You're a complete inspiration. Good luck with the fight!

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Very sorry to hear about your husband.. somehow I had missed it completely and well done for a great article in the DM I had missed that too. You're a complete inspiration. Good luck with the fight!
What's DM? I'd love to read an article by Donnellysdogs!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I guess it cannot fix every health problem. Just a few.
51 is not old. Did he know he had the problem when it started.
I think that, for some people, their insulin resistance kicks in fast and they get diagnosis and (hopefully) treatment before the weight piles on.

For other, like me, we slowly creep along, and its not until we become obese that our HbA1c goes mad and the balance is tipped. And sometimes it happens over such a long period of time, very gradually, that the weight is nigh on impossible to shift.
We are amazing thou.
All them years of IR and weight gain seemed to have took the brunt of my 40yrs+ of it.
It could be hugely worse.
I only gave mild PCOS otherwise I'd be alot bigger. I'm heavy due to big muscles (covered in fat).
Some are in a far worse situation but I put mine down to protein rich meals and loads of exercise..... til just recently.
Painful exercise and low carb has substituted it fairly well. Minus my iron deficiency which may have been contributed by the long term PPI I take and less nutrients due to less food due to satiety.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I guess it cannot fix every health problem. Just a few.
51 is not old. Did he know he had the problem when it started.

We are amazing thou.
All them years of IR and weight gain seemed to have took the brunt of my 40yrs+ of it.
It could be hugely worse.
I only gave mild PCOS otherwise I'd be alot bigger. I'm heavy due to big muscles (covered in fat).
Some are in a far worse situation but I put mine down to protein rich meals and loads of exercise..... til just recently.
Painful exercise and low carb has substituted it fairly well. Minus my iron deficiency which may have been contributed by the long term PPI I take and less nutrients due to less food due to satiety.

Husband and I paid to see a private consultant 8 weeks earlier. We had googlled 80-100 diastolic rates.... got told statistics show he live to 80 WITHOUT heart attack or stroke! No need for meds. His diatolic would drop at 50.....

8 weeks later. Dead. He knew he was in trouble from 3pm. He died at 00.20. No medical assessment done in those 8 hours at all by the hospital. 3 of those hours stuck in a corridor. The actual detail from the consultant in A&E that night which was sent to coroner (less than 200 words) said no medical assessment had taken place when they found him. At that point (too blooming late!) he had died. Cpr at that point with aortic dissection when alrta splits transversely is beyond help by then.

My hubby sometimes got neck/back/shoulder ache as the many of us do.
This was different. The pain in left arm to elbow and in his chest was enough to immediately agree for ambulance...

He was conscious up until death. In pain.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'm truly sorry for you @donnellysdogs ... a shocking outcome at that age especially, but your courage (yep, I looked at your trials with BC) is inspiring. Hopefully, it teaches some to just get on with it and not whine

Mike :)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Husband and I paid to see a private consultant 8 weeks earlier. We had googlled 80-100 diastolic rates.... got told statistics show he live to 80 WITHOUT heart attack or stroke! No need for meds. His diatolic would drop at 50.....

8 weeks later. Dead. He knew he was in trouble from 3pm. He died at 00.20. No medical assessment done in those 8 hours at all by the hospital. 3 of those hours stuck in a corridor. The actual detail from the consultant in A&E that night which was sent to coroner (less than 200 words) said no medical assessment had taken place when they found him. At that point (too blooming late!) he had died. Cpr at that point with aortic dissection when alrta splits transversely is beyond help by then.

My hubby sometimes got neck/back/shoulder ache as the many of us do.
This was different. The pain in left arm to elbow and in his chest was enough to immediately agree for ambulance...

He was conscious up until death. In pain.
You must be so angry? Which is very understandable.
OMG. It's so scary. Depends on what day or time you get a problem, it seems.
Can the nhs not know when they are busiest to supply more room/help/cat scan operators etc?
All other business do.!!!!!
Jeremy Hunt I understood was starting to listen.
I guess not soon enough. :(

I guess when we are looking for medical help we don't give enough resources to the heart/circulatory section of the nhs. British Heart Foundation are doing loads but maybe nhs not matching their efforts or resources?

Surely heart risk is one of the biggest urgent cases in a A&E dept? OK severe bleeding or pneumonia too but we can help abroad in times of crisis. Why can we not help at home more effectively, in a crisis?
It thoroughly annoys me.

Your husband was too young to die !!!! :( :( :(

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
According to patlhologist in his report John was an "elderly" caucasion male!

On the positive - from low carbing with me... he had absolutely normal everything else for arteries, liver etc...

Aortic dissection very different to heart attack or aneurysm....and dissection is not so rare as made out!!

Now got an investigation for "serious incident!- (no kidding)- they didnt do that in timelines either!! I had to tell them! Thats hospital and also the ambulance service that should have taken him to Papworth, Centre of Excellence that is on our doorstep.

Angry, yes and that will never go.

Took John two years to build trust up with me and NHS after my 1st op. Well, now? No trust at all...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
According to patlhologist in his report John was an "elderly" caucasion male!

On the positive - from low carbing with me... he had absolutely normal everything else for arteries, liver etc...

Aortic dissection very different to heart attack or aneurysm....and dissection is not so rare as made out!!

Now got an investigation for "serious incident!- (no kidding)- they didnt do that in timelines either!! I had to tell them! Thats hospital and also the ambulance service that should have taken him to Papworth, Centre of Excellence that is on our doorstep.

Angry, yes and that will never go.

Took John two years to build trust up with me and NHS after my 1st op. Well, now? No trust at all...
:( :( :(
They need to change their name from Health TRUST. In the winter and on certain times of a day.
The news reports of the nhs in crisis wasn't exaggerated.
Maybe the press have a place in being judgemental but not blaming type2s but MP who relies seriousness of nhs crisis?

Maybe there is a justified place for judgemental press after all. I'd like them to be more judgemental.... MUCH MORE. To save lives !!!!!!

Reactions: donnellysdogs

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Judgemental or opinionated? :)
I saw an old mate at lunch, he came over from another town for some logs as I've been chopping trees down at mothers, he noticed the Libre in my arm and said it looked effing horrible :) grinned and asked if I had a sim card slot or a usb port in the other arm.
That's the first time anyone's mentioned it....

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Would be great to store things to remember :p
Or pass on instead of full health history when ill at a&e admission. I feel like crying trying to reel off my meds and conditions. Luckily I'm always conscious.

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ll put my hands up and confess to being a bit judgemental in the past, although never out loud, having believed the “lifestyle-induced” stuff. But since I joined up here, and read a lot of the T2 posts, I’ve come to realise how wrong I’ve been. As a result I’ve changed the kind of answers I’m giving to my close friend who has T2 when he asks me about diabetes things, gently suggesting he makes some of the changes you guys have said helped you rather than the standard NHS “lose weight, move more” mantra.

This really hit it home. Hence my <3 react x
hi mel i think weve all been guilty of this at one time or another .people are too quick to judge without knowing the facts :)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree , I cannot personally do the LCHF diet anyway as I can't stick to it and disagree with eating High Fat when , My dad who had T2 for years , had a heart attack at 59 from atherosclerosis ; isn't heart attack a high risk factor for diabetics ? I'm in a dilemma as I need to lose weight but Slimming World has too many high carbs ? What diet should I really be on?
You could consider the Pioppi diet, which is a cross between the Mediterranean Diet and LCHF. It is not a keto diet, so does not need high fat, but has low carbs and if you add Intermittent Fasting to that then it will gently assist in reducing the belly fat like LCHF can, but in a milder more gentle and more relaxed way all round, It is the diet recommended by the Cardiologist Dr Aseem Maholtra for his CVE patients, and is not specific for diabetics, but works just as well IMHO since it is the one I use now and my bgl is doing ok on it.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Or pass on instead of full health history when ill at a&e admission. I feel like crying trying to reel off my meds and conditions. Luckily I'm always conscious.
Like the Diagnostic port on the car?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Oldvatr What is the Pioppi diet? Never heard of it.
There is a book written by Dr Maholtra on this diet that is available from the usual sources, A Google search should provide info, but there are people with a commercial interest so be wary. It is possible to glean enough free info to make informed choices in this matter, It is basically a low carb version of Mediterranean Diet which is also published, It was named after the Italian town of Pioppi, and reflects their lifestyle which produced a significant reduction in CVE for the local population compared to other groups.

Edit to add a link that may help, but it does contain a sales pitch at the end:
https://www.getthegloss.com/article/the-pioppi-diet-weekly-meal-plan

Last edited: