Dear judgemental person

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@AdamJames - just a thought, looking at your salad ingredients, have you tried roasting some of them, letting them cool and add in that to the leafage? Little tomatoes and peppers are amazing roasted, maybe with a clove or two of garlic - and it takes away the totally “raw rabbit food” feeling of a lot of salad. The oil you cook them in make a lovely dressing, too. Almost makes salad bearable!

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can never compare a type1 diagnosis to a type2 diagnosis.

Absolutely. It's probably not clear where my anger was coming from when I started this thread, as it came from another thread where T1 and T2 were being compared, which may blur the issue.

For the record, my angry post was 100% against judgmentalism and stereotyping of people with T2. It says nothing about T1 and I wasn't even thinking about T1.

Also for the record, there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind: I'd rather have T2 than T1. I don't even feel the need to explain why - I could compare T2 to a million other diseases to perform some kind of interesting ranking system, but I don't think it would achieve anything.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AdamJames - just a thought, looking at your salad ingredients, have you tried roasting some of them, letting them cool and add in that to the leafage? Little tomatoes and peppers are amazing roasted, maybe with a clove or two of garlic - and it takes away the totally “raw rabbit food” feeling of a lot of salad. The oil you cook them in make a lovely dressing, too. Almost makes salad bearable!

Wonderful idea! I love garlic, and olive oil for the roasting is very much on the allowed (even recommended) list!

I've been realising recently that just doing different things to the same food really helps keep things interesting.

Thanks for the suggestion.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Wonderful idea! I love garlic, and olive oil for the roasting is very much on the allowed (even recommended) list!

I've been realising recently that just doing different things to the same food really helps keep things interesting.

Thanks for the suggestion.
My pleasure! I love food so much, and am determined to still love what I eat, even though it’s so different these days. Lidl do jars of chargrilled veggies in oil, which are fab to warm slightly and chuck in a salad, maybe with some olives and feta.

My favourite thing to to with a bowl of leaves is slather it in mayonnaise ;)

Last edited:

patco1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think a lot of the medical profession are still confused about T2 so it's not surprising many others are - myself included - for a long time. I am not insulin resistant. I don't produce enough insulin as my pancreas is damaged. I was on 'normal' T2 mess and feeling v poorly. Once I was put in insulin my health improved by leaps and bounds. Together with low carb/high fat diet my quality of life is much better. I have never been obese so I found it difficult to understand why I am diabetic and was in denial for a while! However, it is what it is and I just have to enjoy my life as it's the only one I'm likely to have and I'm very grateful for all the good things. I am 74 and soon to become a grandmother for the first time! How wonderful is that?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never been obese so I found it difficult to understand why I am diabetic and was in denial for a while!

That's the fault of the media and the medical profession. They like to blame people for their own illness, so you, like many others got a huge shock when you found out that obesity doesn't cause T2. Glad you have your meds sorted now and that things are on the up.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that, for some people, their insulin resistance kicks in fast and they get diagnosis and (hopefully) treatment before the weight piles on.

For other, like me, we slowly creep along, and its not until we become obese that our HbA1c goes mad and the balance is tipped. And sometimes it happens over such a long period of time, very gradually, that the weight is nigh on impossible to shift.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi again. Thanks for your reply. You're obviously struggling to get the right balance but by low-carbing where you can you are doing the right thing food wise. My wife struggles to keep weight down compared with me as her metabolism is much lower than mine. If we eat the same food on holiday (not low-carb) she gains weight twice as fast as me. She has to almost starve herself together with low-carb to maintain a good weight; very frustrating for her. I claim she absorbs nutrients from the air!
Good nutrients is OK but not fat.
Fat is absorbed in a section of the intestine which is currently being experimented on.
Flushed as becomes too congested which makes fat absorption for longer.
I'll try and find a better detailed report.
I know mentioned by Dr Steel on This Morning programme last month.

It wasnt this but very similiar.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...simple-gut-operation-cures-controls-diabetes/

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:p dear judgemental persons, don't run to a security guard when you find me with my strides half down in a bog having an injection tho I've not done that for 20 years, don't tut when I blood test when eating out, dont require me to leave your cafe as I injected at your table, don't imply my illness is self afflicted, don't compare me to the anecdotal perfect diabetic who never hypos, don't tell me I shouldn't swim if I risk hypos afterwards, don't tell me I failed at full time employment and I'm a lazy bar steward just working part time when I'm as fit as I am.
Oh and you don't need to tell me that I don't look ill either, nor assume I'm drunk or drugged up when sat hypo & sweating outside your shop with my shopping and I don't know if I paid for that Mars bar at the till, what Mars bar even.
Edit for addit :p and if you see me sliding down a fence & collapsing on the junior school playground floor while waiting to pick my kids up looking rough in rigger boots and cut off shorts and a t don't assume I've been in the pub when I've spent 6 hours laying half battered kerbs.

In fact, just get lost afore you get here as I could go on :p

Last edited:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@ickihun I dont think T2's are lazy-(being a T1). Glad not to be listed in the category of "some'l

Life is difficult enough without having to put up with judgemental persons...

I so wish that everybody on this planet could become non judgemental for any "different" people, whethers its sexual orientation, disabilities or illness etc. As humans it seems it has become a normal trait to judge others and it really is an abhorrent aspect of the human mind..

Love this post as it is educational and inspiring for me...

Thankyou..

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:p dear judgemental persons, don't run to a security guard when you find me with my strides half down in a bog having an injection tho I've not done that for 20 years, don't tut when I blood test when eating out, dont require me to leave your cafe as I injected at your table, don't imply my illness is self afflicted, don't compare me to the anecdotal perfect diabetic who never hypos, don't tell me I shouldn't swim if I risk hypos afterwards, don't tell me I failed at full time employment and I'm a lazy bar steward just working part time when I'm as fit as I am.
Oh and you don't need to tell me that I don't look ill either, nor assume I'm drunk or drugged up when sat sweating outside your shop with my shopping and I don't know if I paid for that Mars bar at the till, what Mars bar even.

In fact, just get lost afore you get here as I could go on :p

Nice one.

I have to admit I imagine I could walk past a T1 having an "episode" and have no idea what I'm looking at and why it was happening, so it's nice to be aware of things like that.

I'm sure there have been plenty of times I'll have been drunkenly sweating outside a shop with a Mars bar in my hand and not knowing where I was, but for very different reasons than you.

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the context of this thread, I should probably have been careful to use the past-tense: "I'm sure there will have been plenty of times..."

Unfortunately I can't do alcohol and mars bars any more :(

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the hug @Mel dCP :) I think most of my unhappy face was for the alcohol bit!

Mars bars I could always take or leave, but I always packed them in my rucksack while hiking. I feel strangely naked while in the hills without a Mars bar in my rucksack. I suppose I should continue to pack them, because if I get into trouble in the middle of nowhere, managing T2 will very quickly seem like the least of my worries, and it may become more important to have a source of quick-acting energy!

I'm beginning to realise just how psychological a lot of the whole food thing is. After months of abstinence, I'd got used to no alcohol at the weekends and stopped craving it. But when I started doing lots of big walks in the mountains a couple of months ago, at the end of the long days of walking, I find myself craving alcohol again. Probably because I have lots of memories of drinking at the end of a day's walking, like a lot of people do. I know I can't go down that road again unfortunately, as it always leads to me inhaling food the next day.

Reactions: SueJB

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for the hug @Mel dCP :) I think most of my unhappy face was for the alcohol bit!

Mars bars I could always take or leave, but I always packed them in my rucksack while hiking. I feel strangely naked while in the hills without a Mars bar in my rucksack. I suppose I should continue to pack them, because if I get into trouble in the middle of nowhere, managing T2 will very quickly seem like the least of my worries, and it may become more important to have a source of quick-acting energy!

I'm beginning to realise just how psychological a lot of the whole food thing is. After months of abstinence, I'd got used to no alcohol at the weekends and stopped craving it. But when I started doing lots of big walks in the mountains a couple of months ago, at the end of the long days of walking, I find myself craving alcohol again. Probably because I have lots of memories of drinking at the end of a day's walking, like a lot of people do. I know I can't go down that road again unfortunately, as it always leads to me inhaling food the next day.
There’s so, so much cultural, emotional, societal and psychological stuff attached to food...

I can drink two drinks max now before feeling really unwell all night and having horrendous BG levels the next day, so I just don’t bother any more. So I really feel your pain on that one!

You can keep the mars bars though! :***:

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good nutrients is OK but not fat.
Fat is absorbed in a section of the intestine which is currently being experimented on.
Flushed as becomes too congested which makes fat absorption for longer.
I'll try and find a better detailed report.
I know mentioned by Dr Steel on This Morning programme last month.

It wasnt this but very similiar.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...simple-gut-operation-cures-controls-diabetes/

I agree , I cannot personally do the LCHF diet anyway as I can't stick to it and disagree with eating High Fat when , My dad who had T2 for years , had a heart attack at 59 from atherosclerosis ; isn't heart attack a high risk factor for diabetics ? I'm in a dilemma as I need to lose weight but Slimming World has too many high carbs ? What diet should I really be on?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree , I cannot personally do the LCHF diet anyway as I can't stick to it and disagree with eating High Fat when , My dad who had T2 for years , had a heart attack at 59 from atherosclerosis ; isn't heart attack a high risk factor for diabetics ? I'm in a dilemma as I need to lose weight but Slimming World has too many high carbs ? What diet should I really be on?
Current evidence is pointing towards carb consumption playing a far larger part in atherosclerosis than fat ( it is in fact showing that fat is neutral to beneficial). Cardiac events are prevalent in uncontrolled Type 2 diabetics with higher than usual blood sugars so hence a lot of us use the LCHF diet to keep blood sugars low, reduce insulin stimulation thus allowing our bodies to burn fat which in turn leads to weight loss. I would go for LCHF (using fats to maintain satiety) over Slimming World, Weight Watchers or any other commercially based dietary regime. For me, to put it simply, it has worked.

PreDiet

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Current evidence is pointing towards carb consumption playing a far larger part in atherosclerosis than fat ( it is in fact showing that fat is neutral to beneficial). Cardiac events are prevalent in uncontrolled Type 2 diabetics with higher than usual blood sugars so hence a lot of us use the LCHF diet to keep blood sugars low, reduce insulin stimulation thus allowing our bodies to burn fat which in turn leads to weight loss. I would go for LCHF (using fats to maintain satiety) over Slimming World, Weight Watchers or any other commercially based dietary regime. For me, to put it simply, it has worked.

Thankyou for that , it has been most informative , I will try again , I do prefer eating nuts and fried eggs , I never really knew what my dad ate ( except at meal times) as he had a secret stash. I see myself ending up injecting if I can't give up chocolate & wine . ( wine not every day mind and definitely not alcoholic) ~` Many thanks Pre- Diet

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thankyou for that , it has been most informative , I will try again , I do prefer eating nuts and fried eggs , I never really knew what my dad ate ( except at meal times) as he had a secret stash. I see myself ending up injecting if I can't give up chocolate & wine . ( wine not every day mind and definitely not alcoholic) ~` Many thanks Pre- Diet
Maybe check out the fat emperor (Ivor Cummins) on youtube. Aseem Malhotra (cardiac surgeon) and Dr Jason Fung (also you tube) Quite a few videos on www.dietdoctor.com too.