Seven months into the low carb diet...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have my full admiration. Your story is inspirational, although you now have to keep it up! I am certain you will because you seem highly motivated.

Your doctor probably thinks your HbA1c is too low because you were on insulin, and anyone on insulin can have low HbA1cs if they are hypo much of the time. Now you are not on insulin, this isn't an issue, so your HbA1c is not too low. Doctor is wrong!

Well done, wonderful achievement. :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wrote a post yesterday after seeing my doctor at the nine months point but that message seems to have vanished, so for anyone who is interested, here is an update.
Weight loss -- another four and a half kilos. Not the original speed but it continues. Total weight loss :26 kilos (four stone),
HbA1c -- 35. One point down on last time even though I have now not had medication for at least three months. "A bit too low" said my GP. Not sure why. He told me I am now off the list of patients with diabetes. I replied that I realise this is only as long as I keep off the carbs. He added that they are now starting to recommend cutting carbohydrates to patients. Times change.
Blood pressure (with reduced medication) 138 over 70 -- not quite as good as last time when it was 120 but I have dropped one medication.

I am eating about 20g - 35g of carbohydrate each day (low) and taking in a total of 1400-1700 calories. I eat quite a lot (relatively speaking) of berries--up to 100g a day some days of raspberries or strawberries. Some days none. All weighed and counted.

Actually I am still quite heavy by BMI standards and would like to lose another 25 kilos to get back to where I was in my twenties. I think I can do it but it would be nice to be losing a kilo a week. Recently the loss has sometimes been under a kilo a month, though in the last month it was 2.5-3 kg when I cut out some foods.

So I am expecting a two year campaign against the flab. And meanwhile I recommend LCHF to any Type 2 diabetics I come across. After eighteen years, including about seven or eight on insulin, I never expected to be completely off medication but I am.
Just spotted your update and wonderful to see you are continuing to do well. Ignore the too low hbaca1 comment - how can it be when you’re not on medication so not at any danger of hypo or anything. It’s just a good normal number. Just stick at the way of eating that is giving you the good blood glucose results and the weight loss should follow. Another option if you are keen on getting weight lower more quickly is to bring in another method to give your body a bit of a shake up. I started just low carb but when stalled on my weight loss I started intermittent fasting and it worked really well. Lots of ideas on dietdoctor.com on weight loss and intermittent fasting.
Good luck any questions do ask

Reactions: Jemz

TwoRivers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Obesity.
Just spotted your update and wonderful to see you are continuing to do well. Ignore the too low hbaca1 comment - how can it be when you’re not on medication so not at any danger of hypo or anything. It’s just a good normal number. Just stick at the way of eating that is giving you the good blood glucose results and the weight loss should follow. Another option if you are keen on getting weight lower more quickly is to bring in another method to give your body a bit of a shake up. I started just low carb but when stalled on my weight loss I started intermittent fasting and it worked really well. Lots of ideas on dietdoctor.com on weight loss and intermittent fasting.
Good luck any questions do ask
Thanks...I will consider intermittent fasting very seriously. You seem to have got down to the sort of weight that I would like to reach.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks...I will consider intermittent fasting very seriously. You seem to have got down to the sort of weight that I would like to reach.

I was also on 14 units of insulin but now zero due to low carbing.

Well done!

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Diabetes is considered a “progressive” disease by some very judgmental, out of date and misinformed doctors and nurses who have little training and education about diabetic diet, control and management!

Reactions: Jemz and Ragmar

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had some history in it going back to reading Michael Yudkin years ago. I knew that in the past it had worked for me. But I was a bit put off by the warnings against the Atkins Diet which one hears from HCPs. I had tried other diets and got nowhere. So I gave low carb a try and the results were instant.
Yeah - they have been going ballistic over my use of Atkins - some of them get really nasty - but it is the only way I have ever been able to lose any weight and control it - more carbs always meant more weight gain and no energy. Fewer calories came close to killing me, I suspect.

lefeilouss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Great results and news on BG with LCHF diet.. however do you all do High Fat as well? any issue with lipid levels? or you can go on with non high fat on low carb?

Lynnzhealth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was first diagnosed T2 a year ago my Doctor and Diabetic Educator advised me to not give up anything, however, eat in moderation. OK. I tried their way and my sugars went up, so I researched and found the LCHF Keto lifestyle and changed immediately. Three weeks ago my Doctor said I was doing excellent and last week the Diabetic Educator said if she didn't know I was 70 she'd think the blood results were that of a 19 to 20 year old. So, she then said she's not worried if I go six months before coming back to see her and get my blood checked. She said if I get worried about anything to call her. My A1C went from 6.7 at the beginning of this journey to now being 5.5. If I continue on with this lifestyle change hopefully it will be even lower come September. Kudos to everyone who is managing their diabetes so well.