Low carb shopping (fav items)

vanillapie

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The staples that keep me sane are low carb bagels from lowcarbmegastore (2g of carbs, 14g fibre and very filling. Made with almond flour. They are quite expensive so you could probably make your own!) and Cadbury Highlight's hot chocolate sachets. 4g carbs each and with a glug of double cream it's a warm, indulgent chocolate fix that has a negligible effect on blood sugars!

Reactions: Debandez

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The staples that keep me sane are low carb bagels from lowcarbmegastore (2g of carbs, 14g fibre and very filling. Made with almond flour. They are quite expensive so you could probably make your own!) and Cadbury Highlight's hot chocolate sachets. 4g carbs each and with a glug of double cream it's a warm, indulgent chocolate fix that has a negligible effect on blood sugars!

I forgot about option packets they are great for the desk draw.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you sitting comfortably? Then I will begin :D:

(most of these come from most supermarkets, where I have to go somewhere special, I will say so :) )

Worcesterhire sauce - can't live without it
Tescos finest garlic and chilli oil
Leerdammer and Jahlsberg cheeses
Stilton, St Augur and any blue cheese
70% + choc from most places, but Aldis, Lidls, Lindt and G&B are faves.
Local butcher's for most meat
Sadly have to go to Tescos for fish, so buy whole or half sides of salmon, when on offer, then freeze in portions.
Rollmops (watch for the sugar content in the vinegar. Tescos do a v low sugar one that is DELISH)
Salami, counter sliced and then microwaved into 'crisps'
Chicken liver (cooked with red wine and rosemary, then (optional) blended with cream cheese into a pate
Balsamic vinegar (you don't need much at a time)
Umami paste (ditto)
Smoked chipotle and paprika paste (ditto)
Wasabi paste (ditto)
Smoked garlic (when available)
Liquid smoke (Tescos)
Patak's curry pastes
Happy eggs (won't buy un-happy eggs)
Erythritol (Amazon)
Avocado and olive oil for homemade mayo (does anywhere know a UK source for macadamia nut oil?)

Then for Mr B, who is currently eating around 50g carbs a day:
Peanut 9 Bars
GF crispbread things
Cauliflower in any way, shape or form

Ask me again in a week, and half of that will have evolved/changed

Larissima

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get my veggies, fish, nuts/seeds, and 80%+ choc from either Asda or Sainsbury's - as if I knew they were going to merge! Oh, I discovered a sugar-free BBQ sauce in Asda, it tastes smoky but almost too sweet (and I'm currently trying to avoid any sweeteners)

Another Asda item I buy regularly is their liquid (refined) coconut oil, which I use when I don't need the taste of olive oil or butter/ghee/lard

Organic meat I order once a month from wellhungmeat.com . They have regular cuts, but interesting ones too, like bones for broth, liver, pork trotters, oxtail...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get most of the meat from a local butcher - they are worth supporting and the quality of mine is great. I buy whole pigs and hoggets (big lambs) and job lots of beef joints. They can tell me the carb content of their sausages and they pack up the meat in the sort of sizes I need, and freeze it too.
For my other shopping I go to Lidl most weeks, Tesco sometimes and Aldi once in a while, and what I buy has already been listed - though I only buy free range organic eggs - in the hope that the hens are as happy and contented as those we used to keep. Chickens are not very bright, but they positively glow with contentment when provided with the few simple things they need - though they can't be taught to share meal worms no matter how many there are.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I get most of the meat from a local butcher - they are worth supporting and the quality of mine is great. I buy whole pigs and hoggets (big lambs) and job lots of beef joints.
Wow! You must be strong, a whole pig carcase weighs about 80kg. Even if I could get it home I would have to buy an extra freezer, and another one for the lamb and beef.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Any ideas on what I can eat regarding low carb food. Was diagnosed about ten years ago with type 2 and have managed very well without meds to maintain readings of between 4.4 and 4.8 (old money). Last week results were up to 63, wish they would stop changing readings. told by diabetes nurse to cut out/ really reduce carbs. No bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, pastries, biscuits etc. Don't eat many of latter and although I love pasta and rice, only have about once a month. Don't have potatoes every day. Quite upset because I had been doing so well all these years, have lost 3lbs in last week. Have seen that foods to eat tend to include eggs, dairy etc, which I can't eat as they give me migraines Help! was also told that type 2 diabetics don't have to test, but how can I know what levels are if I don't test
Hello, and welcome, @angelahancock25april ! I think you'll get more responses to your question if you start a new thread. You posted it in the middle of another thread so it won't be seen by many people. Good luck!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow! You must be strong, a whole pig carcase weighs about 80kg. Even if I could get it home I would have to buy an extra freezer, and another one for the lamb and beef.
When I went to buy the freezer they had sold out of the middle size, only small and large left - and the manager offered me a large one cut price - so I have a lot of freezer space - though of course there is only meat and veges in there usually, and a bit of bread. I filled up all the available space just before Christmas last year as the Lidl store gave away lots of bread - my husband has been eating it ever since, and there is still some left. With it being a chest freezer I can dig down into the depths - there is probably woolly mammoth in there somewhere, if I go down far enough. I'd have no trouble in fitting a body or two in there - if need arose.
It is easy enough to move fairly heavy weights - I have always been involved in music and used to roadie using a motorbike and sidecar, these days I use a hatchback but have always had trolleys or a sack barrow to move weights around. I just encouraged the morris team to buy a couple to move their things around, and the Maypole too.

Reactions: Aly67

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone, I hope your all doing as well as you expect, with the aid of this Forum and it's Members, as it Does Work!!!

I'm not sure this will help, but here it is, I found this High Protein Low Carb, 5 Grain bread at my local shop, made by Helgas Bakeries. It's very nice and it fits right in with my diet. The reason I said I wasn't sure it would help was because I'm from Downunder and I'm not sure your able to get Helgas Bread products in the UK, or your part of the world, as I know this is a globe site, as the Beast of a condition is everywhere also!!! I hope you can find it at your local store, as it's Ok!!!

Reactions: Aly67

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone, Well I suppose most if not all of you, are enjoying your day, either at work or shopping,, as I'm at work myself as it's 03:30 hrs here in Sydney, I'm having lunch and the waves are tossing the boat about a bit! My reason for this message is to enquire as to the availability of Helgas Bakeries,, 5 Grain, High Protein, Low Carb Loaf of bread, as it's 25% less Carb Content that their other products. So I really hope that it's available in the UK and other parts of the Globe, as this Beast we all have to come to terms with is also a global Condition.

I hope you all tested as expected this morning, as all the Tools, Advice and Support, one could ever want is right here on this Global Forum, as it Works 100%, all one need do is to ask a question, or for some advice and one of the multitude of Members, will respond with Assistance, so do give it your best shot and stay Healthy, Ok!!!

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
Meat i buy from my own butcher at the end of my street, he know i am a type 1 diabetic which is handy. Almond flour from amazon, fresh veg often from the ladies in moore street market, dark chocolate at lidl. Greek yoghurt from Aldi. I do like Kvarg which i take as a snack sometimes but can only buy it in Dublin at Dunnes.

Stemar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How are you all feeling this morning, as good, as one can expect to be with this condition, I hope?

Well I'm still coming to terms with what I can and can't eat, except for the basic stuff like Low Carb Bread, Eggs, Pork Meat, Bacon, Dark Chocolate, and Cheese, but there are so many things one has never heard of plus the information on the packets isn't always readable or contain the info we are looking for so it makes it a bit hard, especially when at 60 I had to learn how to cook more than eggs, and steamed fish. But one just needs to soldier on and a lot of trial and error.

xxTinksxx

I came across this in Waitrose last week. Thought I'd give it a try expecting NOT to like it. Fell in love with it. In addition it has zero carbs and zero sugars.
20180530_092603.jpg
20180530_092611.jpg

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Eggs & meat (from my local butcher) fish (from the market), tinned mussels in olive oil, cream (single and clotted), green veg, cheese, raspberries, nuts and seeds, butter and olive oil, and wine from Naked Wines.

If I'm pushed for time I just get the lot in the nearest supermarket to home or work.