Good for you and how did it go

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@jasmindesylva

It is very likely what is known as a liver dump. Putting it very simply, when our body detects we need extra energy for whatever reason (and fasting is one of them) it will dump some of its stored glucose into the blood stream. This happens to everyone, including non-diabetics, but when our pancreas and insulin works normally, enough insulin is secreted to push this glucose into the cells for energy. In T2 diabetes, our insulin is restricted from working properly because our cells have become resistant to it, so the liver dumps but the insulin doesn't clear it.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Lol what’s that?

The ability of your liver to make glucose from non carbs. It senses low BG and pumps some out. I think I’m wrong though as your readings where not hypo.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The ability of your liver to make glucose from non carbs. It senses low BG and pumps some out. I think I’m wrong though as your readings where not hypo.

The body doesn't have to be hypo, far from it. Otherwise most of our newcomers would not have liver dumps in the mornings.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
The body doesn't have to be hypo, far from it. Otherwise most of our newcomers would not have liver dumps in the mornings.

So you go into GNG without low BG levels. I didn’t know that. So what triggers GNG if a low BG signal/ level doesn’t cause it.?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Started to day with a cup of tea at 7:00. Tested at 11 ish, 6.0. Haven’t eaten anything since the tea. Tested now and it’s 7.2?? Anyone care to explain?
It could be that your body is using your lack of food as an excuse to dump some of the extra sugar that has been stored in your cells. It's pushing up your blood sugar to allow it to be burned off as energy.
This happened to me a fair bit in the early days.. once you have got rid of excess sugar (and stop adding more to it by lowering carb intake) you should find you sugars will drop when fasting.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Me please
I am a newbie though
Yes and welcome to the tribe!

I see you are Type 1.... Im showing my ignorance here but how does it work with fasting and type 1 Diabetes.

You might need to read up on it a bit. Im just asking for your own sake. There will be others who know more than me starting with you lol......

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So you go into GNG without low BG levels. I didn’t know that. So what triggers GNG if a low BG signal/ level doesn’t cause it.?

You are mixing up gluconeogenesis (GNG) with liver dumps (Glycogenesis).

GNG is not the same thing at all.

Liver dumps are dumps of stored glycogen converted to glucose by the liver. This glycogen is mainly stored carbohydrate and is released at any time when the body thinks it is starved on energy. This can be on fasting, when anxious or injured, when exercising etc. It is why we have dawn phenomenon etc.

GNG is made in cells throughout the body out of protein and fats and has hardly any affect on blood sugars..

Reactions: jasmindesylva

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok just so everyone knows we're going to start the next group fast the week starting Monday 21 May (I'll be having my last meal sunday night).

As a quick disclaimer if you feel odd and extremely hungry and you're new to this then please eat something. Its not good to over stress when fasting. Also make sure you keep hydrated and maybe have some extra salt.
I'll start a new thread for the actual fast when I get back from the PHC conference on 21st May with a hopefully suitably witty title!

I'll try and tag everyone who has said on this thread that thy want to join in. So if you want to join and haven;t said so yet then add names to this thread.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
You are mixing up gluconeogenesis (GNG) with liver dumps (Glycogenesis).

GNG is not the same thing at all.

Liver dumps are dumps of stored glycogen converted to glucose by the liver. This glycogen is mainly stored carbohydrate and is released at any time when the body thinks it is starved on energy. This can be on fasting, when anxious or injured, when exercising etc. It is why we have dawn phenomenon etc.

GNG is made in cells throughout the body out of protein and fats and has hardly any affect on blood sugars..
I dont think I was getting mixed up I was only talking about Gluconeogenesis (GNG) :)
As far as GNG goes it is basically done predominately in the liver ( some in the kidneys) whereby the liver is able to convert amino acids (not exclusively) into glucose.

However I dont think that GNG has little effect. Especially while fasting without GNG we would die. So its not a little thing. I think your right that in respect to people saying they are getting liver dumps its not GNG

I may have confused myself even more

Reactions: jasmindesylva

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I dont think I was getting mixed up I was only talking about Gluconeogenesis (GNG) :)
As far as GNG goes it is basically done predominately in the liver ( some in the kidneys) whereby the liver is able to convert amino acids (not exclusively) into glucose.

However I dont think that GNG has little effect. Especially while fasting without GNG we would die. So its not a little thing. I think your right that in respect to people saying they are getting liver dumps its not GNG

I may have confused myself even more

All I know this evening (I'm very tired) is that I was referring to liver dumps and suggesting that maybe was why @jasmindesylva saw those levels after her fast. I don't think it had anything to do with GNG. However, it is all immaterial now.