What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
8.3 at 5:20. Ate nothing but meat eggs and cheese yesterday. 2 HB eggs for breakfast. Hamburger and cheddar for lunch. Pork chop for dinner. No carbs at all. Even downed apple cider vinegar before bed. What is going on? Thinking I should take metformin again. Was doing great and it’s all whack now. So confused and depressed. If I fast my BG goes up! Ugh.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thinking I should take metformin again. Was doing great and it’s all whack now. So confused and depressed. If I fast my BG goes up! Ugh.
@JMcB My opinion is probably worthless but I don't like to see fellow posters struggling so here goes nothing. Taking metformin again can't do any harm unless it was giving side effects. If that was the reason for stopping, visit the physician treating you and see about a change. Next, this is very definitely a marathon not a sprint so continue the low carb routine and go with the flow - just trust and relax into the new lifestyle. "The score takes care of itself". Several posters who routinely have exemplary low fbg have periods where they are higher for a while- it is frustrating but it happens.
Anyhow, that's my two cents worth - not sure what its worth but given in the spirit of camaraderie :)

Last edited:

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@JMcB My opinion is probably worthless but I don't like to see fellow posters struggling so here goes nothing. Taking metformin again can't do any harm unless it was giving side effects. If that was the reason for stopping, visit the physician treating you and see about a change. Next, this is very definitely a marathon not a sprint so continue the low carb routine and go with the flow - just trust and relax into the new lifestyle. "The score takes care of itself". Several posters who routinely have exemplary low fbg have periods where they are higher for a while- it is frustrating but it happens.
Anyhow, that's my two cents worth - not sure what its worth but given in the spirit of camaraderie :)

Thank you for your two cents. It does make me feel better. I am very new to this and was so happy I had been able to bring it down so quickly at first. This past week it’s just been drifting up and up even though I am eating LCHF and walking almost every day. I have been under a great deal of stress which may contribute. I’m just afraid of the complications so am freaked out by what’s happening now. I only took the metformin for a few days after diagnosis and my BG went down so quickly I didn’t think I needed the metformin. Also felt weird and dizzy and cranky. I will def stay the course on diet and exercise and try not to lose it when my numbers go up. Cried and cried this morning so need to buck up. Thank you for responding. It’s helpful to have people in the ether to reach out to.

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your two cents. It does make me feel better. I am very new to this and was so happy I had been able to bring it down so quickly at first. This past week it’s just been drifting up and up even though I am eating LCHF and walking almost every day. I have been under a great deal of stress which may contribute. I’m just afraid of the complications so am freaked out by what’s happening now. I only took the metformin for a few days after diagnosis and my BG went down so quickly I didn’t think I needed the metformin. Also felt weird and dizzy and cranky. I will def stay the course on diet and exercise and try not to lose it when my numbers go up. Cried and cried this morning so need to buck up. Thank you for responding. It’s helpful to have people in the ether to reach out to.

Hi @JMcB How long have you been doing LCHF? I started on 30th April with a Bs of 16.6. Was steadily coming down then last Sunday dropped to 4.5 lowest I have ever been!!! Its been around there ever since highest reading has been 5.6. I do 18.6 fasting testing after 12 hours and then again after 18 hours. I have nothing to eat after 20.00 and start eating around 14/15.00 next day. I only have a cup of black tea, water and vitamin water as needed during fast. I'm also on 20% or less carbs per day. Still taking my Metformin and Glicazide as per normal. Try not to upset yourself we are all different so some will take longer than others to get sorted. We are here for you so you are not doing this on your own! :)

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi @JMcB How long have you been doing LCHF? I started on 30th April with a Bs of 16.6. Was steadily coming down then last Sunday dropped to 4.5 lowest I have ever been!!! Its been around there ever since highest reading has been 5.6. I do 18.6 fasting testing after 12 hours and then again after 18 hours. I have nothing to eat after 20.00 and start eating around 14/15.00 next day. I only have a cup of black tea, water and vitamin water as needed during fast. I'm also on 20% or less carbs per day. Still taking my Metformin and Glicazide as per normal. Try not to upset yourself we are all different so some will take longer than others to get sorted. We are here for you so you are not doing this on your own! :)

I’ve been on LCHF since 20 April. BS was 21 at diagnosis and I got it down to 6.5 fbs in about a week. Was doing fairly well then it started creeping up. Have been very strict on the carbs - only from above ground veg and less than 20 g per day. Am thinking my recent walks were vigorous enough as today I went for very brisk walks 1 hr after each meal and for it down to 6.6 after lunch from the high this morning. So now I’m feeling a bit more chipper about things. Hopefully tomorrow’s fbs will look better. We shall see!
Thank you for being here! It is so helpful to have others to reach out to.

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning fellow members of the tribe Dia Bet Es

What a contrast to yesterday, sun is out and looks like being a pleasant day.

My service to the blood loving Lady Vampira, rewarded me with a 6.2 this morning at 5.30am

As they used to put on my school report 'Must try harder'

A terrific Thursday to you all

On upside, I have now lost over 2stone 1lb since february

Brilliant weight loss Mick

Reactions: Freema

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
8.3 at 5:20. Ate nothing but meat eggs and cheese yesterday. 2 HB eggs for breakfast. Hamburger and cheddar for lunch. Pork chop for dinner. No carbs at all. Even downed apple cider vinegar before bed. What is going on? Thinking I should take metformin again. Was doing great and it’s all whack now. So confused and depressed. If I fast my BG goes up! Ugh.
Don’t despair @JMcB. Reading what you ate, it might be just too much protein. Did you have any veg?
My take - LCHF - not too much protein as your chemical factory will convert excess into nasty things. Shop bought hamburgers might have bread in. Cheese contains lactose. What did you eat the day before.
Perhaps chat to your GP about your meds (not a nurse).
Food diary, blood sugar readings and go from there.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: flexi06 and JMcB

JMcB

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Don’t despair @JMcB. Reading what you ate, it might be just too much protein. Did you have any veg?
My take - LCHF - not too much protein as your chemical factory will convert excess into nasty things. Shop bought hamburgers might have bread in. Cheese contains lactose. What did you eat the day before.
Perhaps chat to your GP about your meds (not a nurse).
Food diary, blood sugar readings and go from there.
Good luck.

I’ve been eating LCHF up until yesterday when I got desperate to bring the numbers down and went for HF only. I made my own burger from grass fed local. Since my numbers improved a lot today after my brisk walks am thinking maybe I wasn’t exercising enough or at the right time. Or could be the phase of the moon. Who knows. Today I was back to the LCHF and had an omelette with salmon for breakfast and another omelette with asparagus and cheese and pepperoni. Dinner is salmon and maybe more asparagus since I have some. Seems walking very briskly one hour after meals is helping. For today anyway. We’ll see what the morning brings.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
IFor today anyway. We’ll see what the morning brings.
@JMcB Loving your attitude test and evaluate is definitely the way forward as is the walking as long as there are no side effects. I would personally advise waiting to test until about an hour after your walk if it is quite brisk bg can rise on exercise then fall rapidly.