Humbly back here again

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @memememeiii welcome back to the group. Great news on your weight loss well done. I started LCHF on 30th April with a Bs of 16.6. I do the 18/6 fast, no food between 20.00 and 14.00 next day. Only have black tea, water and vitamin water during fasting. I also try and do less than 20% carbs. Good thing I have found with this way of doing things I'm not hungry at all and sometimes have to force myself to have something to eat! I have to eat as I'm on Metformin and Glicazide.
My 12hr fasting Bs are down to between 4.5 and 5.6. You could have bacon, eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes for breakfast. You could then take some cooked chicken breast, (with the skin on) with a chopped salad for lunch. Then for tea you could have some nice meat and veg. As mentioned there are some good recipes on here if you like to cook, even low carb bread and scones!
Good luck with your journey we are all here to help and be there for you. :)

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi @memememeiii welcome back. It may help you to take your body measurements now before you have lost too much weight. You have already lost a lot in a week and I understand the feeling of desperately wanting to lose the weight but at some stage the weight loss will stall, it happens. The trick then is to keep on going. If you measure yourself once a week, it doesn't matter which day as long as it is regular, then you will be able to see that your body may still be shrinking although your weight seems static - it is working hard redistributing the remaining fat, then the weight loss will start again. I found that a spreadsheet already marked up with daily numbers and weekly measurements to be taken kept me on track and the cut and paste option makes it quick and easy to do. Chin up and good luck.

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
"we have to live in the real world where everyone else is eating all the things we can't and temptation is all around us"

I totally relate to this. Yes, having to be strict, this is what is going to have to happen, and I'm not done grieving the freedom I suppose I've enjoyed until my body started to shut down. Thanks for your support. This site has been the sole reason I have continued to even try to resolve this and deal with it.

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
Hi @memememeiii welcome back. It may help you to take your body measurements now before you have lost too much weight. You have already lost a lot in a week and I understand the feeling of desperately wanting to lose the weight but at some stage the weight loss will stall, it happens. The trick then is to keep on going. If you measure yourself once a week, it doesn't matter which day as long as it is regular, then you will be able to see that your body may still be shrinking although your weight seems static - it is working hard redistributing the remaining fat, then the weight loss will start again. I found that a spreadsheet already marked up with daily numbers and weekly measurements to be taken kept me on track and the cut and paste option makes it quick and easy to do. Chin up and good luck.
That's very good advice, and I did take my measurements before when I had hit this - my top - weight, but I will start to measure again. Thank you.

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
Hi @memememeiii welcome back to the group. Great news on your weight loss well done. I started LCHF on 30th April with a Bs of 16.6. I do the 18/6 fast, no food between 20.00 and 14.00 next day. Only have black tea, water and vitamin water during fasting. I also try and do less than 20% carbs. Good thing I have found with this way of doing things I'm not hungry at all and sometimes have to force myself to have something to eat! I have to eat as I'm on Metformin and Glicazide.
My 12hr fasting Bs are down to between 4.5 and 5.6. You could have bacon, eggs, mushrooms and tomatoes for breakfast. You could then take some cooked chicken breast, (with the skin on) with a chopped salad for lunch. Then for tea you could have some nice meat and veg. As mentioned there are some good recipes on here if you like to cook, even low carb bread and scones!
Good luck with your journey we are all here to help and be there for you. :)
Thank you, Terrytiddy! I'm looking forward to eating 'normally' again - that would be a generous place to get to, that diet, after this Newcastle University regime. Wow.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Dont buy food when hungry .

Reward yourself with other treats!! Ie in 4 weeks buy a coat or have a new hair do etc.

For every aisle you avoid ie bread, cakes etc... physically put the money away that you have saved.

When you dont have a treat, put that physical money away.

Treat yourself to picture or theatre or day at seaside etc. Dont buy new clothes with money. Its treat money to be used on something you enjoy.

Join a n art group or pilates or yoga group to relax... and to de stress...

If you have. Partner or family... say you need encouragement as this is not going to be a fad diet, but a change to a healthy life style so you would appreciate their help.

I had to cut out food that I loved. Completely. My bowel and colon nit functioning and my consultant said you are at "stage D, and stage G Is removal and life changing".

I hated shopping. My hubby took over all shopping and cooking. We wrote food plans together and food list. He never deviated. He was brilliant.

Radually I realised that if I went past that aisle, the thoughts of those foods only stayed with me for 5 seconds. So I gradually started going with hubby occasionally.. i rewarded us with something each month or two. An expensive haircut, a new dog!! Training classes for new dog!! It all came as rewards for my ignoring aisles and coping..

Sadly, my hubby passed away March and again I have had to face huge challenges around coping. People not realise how difficult it is for me. So I told them. If you want food when you comeover, buy yours as I dont eat the same food as you... but that didnt solve my shopping problems... so I go online now.. I do my list by myself and I still reward myself.. its nothing like people have said to me "that Hubby would want you to eat".... itwas getting over the shopping aspect.

I have now also gone to a local tesco twice as I get 4 times the value of point! This little stupudity over points wncourages me.

The reason for saying all this, is its because as you have found, times of stress etc can knock everything out of control.

Stress management needs one permant though in life.. "stress happens, but its my responsibility to take the appropriate action.." That applies for every stress matter in life. Even food.. people can say "i so miss that xxxxx" but they could add on the end, but I love that I can manage it by doing xxxxx as a treat" etc or with my hubbys death... I could hide away and be miserrable... and mourn forever... but I have to accept that nothing will bring him back and its me, only me that is responsible for my happiiness, my going out, my food. I am truly grateful for him helping me t think like this and my own food batttles are still tough...but I am empowered by it being
my responsibility....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Chuck out big plates and cereal bowls etc. Eat off side plates and weigh out food for a wh ile to teach yourself portion size.

I have different problms to you but eating is still a huge factor in my life..

I could at one time only one eat smoothies and a little mushy veg. Now I mantain my weight and have got to the size of the small inner rng of a large plate now.

The advice is two way... for people who are wanting to lose weight and people struggling to gain weight. A teaplate of food is enough to give good portion either way....

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
Dont buy food when hungry .

Reward yourself with other treats!! Ie in 4 weeks buy a coat or have a new hair do etc.

For every aisle you avoid ie bread, cakes etc... physically put the money away that you have saved.

When you dont have a treat, put that physical money away.

Treat yourself to picture or theatre or day at seaside etc. Dont buy new clothes with money. Its treat money to be used on something you enjoy.

Join a n art group or pilates or yoga group to relax... and to de stress...

If you have. Partner or family... say you need encouragement as this is not going to be a fad diet, but a change to a healthy life style so you would appreciate their help.

I had to cut out food that I loved. Completely. My bowel and colon nit functioning and my consultant said you are at "stage D, and stage G Is removal and life changing".

I hated shopping. My hubby took over all shopping and cooking. We wrote food plans together and food list. He never deviated. He was brilliant.

Radually I realised that if I went past that aisle, the thoughts of those foods only stayed with me for 5 seconds. So I gradually started going with hubby occasionally.. i rewarded us with something each month or two. An expensive haircut, a new dog!! Training classes for new dog!! It all came as rewards for my ignoring aisles and coping..

Sadly, my hubby passed away March and again I have had to face huge challenges around coping. People not realise how difficult it is for me. So I told them. If you want food when you comeover, buy yours as I dont eat the same food as you... but that didnt solve my shopping problems... so I go online now.. I do my list by myself and I still reward myself.. its nothing like people have said to me "that Hubby would want you to eat".... itwas getting over the shopping aspect.

I have now also gone to a local tesco twice as I get 4 times the value of point! This little stupudity over points wncourages me.

The reason for saying all this, is its because as you have found, times of stress etc can knock everything out of control.

Stress management needs one permant though in life.. "stress happens, but its my responsibility to take the appropriate action.." That applies for every stress matter in life. Even food.. people can say "i so miss that xxxxx" but they could add on the end, but I love that I can manage it by doing xxxxx as a treat" etc or with my hubbys death... I could hide away and be miserrable... and mourn forever... but I have to accept that nothing will bring him back and its me, only me that is responsible for my happiiness, my going out, my food. I am truly grateful for him helping me t think like this and my own food batttles are still tough...but I am empowered by it being
my responsibility....

GOSH. Where does one start in responding. You literally stopped my night right there and nearly made me cry. Grief is a big part of my reality, and the stamina to deal with what it has done to my head and body are my present reality. This is a potent tribute to your process, courage, husband, and history. Thank you SO very much for sharing it here. Thank you. Really, you have given me ideas that I will read again and again. I'm copying them to a safe place so I can remember these. I wish you continued peace in your journey. x

Reactions: donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
GOSH. Where does one start in responding. You literally stopped my night right there and nearly made me cry. Grief is a big part of my reality, and the stamina to deal with what it has done to my head and body are my present reality. This is a potent tribute to your process, courage, husband, and history. Thank you SO very much for sharing it here. Thank you. Really, you have given me ideas that I will read again and again. I'm copying them to a safe place so I can remember these. I wish you continued peace in your journey. x

Oh my, you have me in tears now!

I so hope you can fine tune anything useful to your individual self.

Grief is a huge thing to cope with, no matter what form it is in. My very best pal has chronic disabilities. She did say the other day that she cannot look back to when she was 'normal' at 18. She has had to accept the grief of losing her mobility and has made it her responsibility to laugh everyday and to embrace and accept what she is now and to love life.
She has given me the biggest encouragement to move on from grief... its still there but accepted now.

You will do it. Weight wise you have lost it before, so you know you can do it again... you've got help in real life with moving on and pushing down hurdles... no one says you have to jump them!! When I read your original posting, I think you have an extra ability this time. You also have someone backing you up physically.

We are all rooting for you too. I still have to face appts at hospitals ref my hubbies death being a "serious incident" and solicitor going to inquest with me at end of year. But I will fill my pockets with courage on those days... and make sure before I go to sleep that I will have a laugh of some description for the day!!

Always here for you. We all want you to succeed.. and want you to be able to enjoy life again...

Thinking of you. Xx

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My biggest challenge right now is how to diminish the risks of muscle wasting. I've been reading up on this. Seems the body builders have the answer. Your thoughts would be good, too.

If you are concerned about muscle wastage, @memememeiii I suggest restistance band exercises. The exercises don't need to be too intense as they are for strength, rather than weight loss. Some exercises can even be done whist seated.
Here is an example..
https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-matters-magazine/activity/resistance-bands

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
As I said in my earlier post, welcome back @memememeiii . Your experience is valuable, so stand straight, lift your head up and go out to enjoy the sunshine. People are checking in with lots of ideas to help, some that I have not come across before and which I may try myself, so thank you for bring out that response in others. I know I am onto a winning forum when people feel free to come back after a while away and bring the benefit of that experience, You are a winner!!

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
As I said in my earlier post, welcome back @memememeiii . Your experience is valuable, so stand straight, lift your head up and go out to enjoy the sunshine. People are checking in with lots of ideas to help, some that I have not come across before and which I may try myself, so thank you for bring out that response in others. I know I am onto a winning forum when people feel free to come back after a while away and bring the benefit of that experience, You are a winner!!
Bless you, seriously.

I woke this morning and hadn't dropped a pound. In fact, I thought I'd gained a pound until I got to work and got on the scale there. No. I've now reached a small plateau, I'll bet. The mental stamina it takes to go through this...I haven't got it alone. I knew and KNOW I need to pull out the stops here re. mental and material support. Definitely I praise this forum and site highly to anyone concerned with this issue. Thank you for your kind words. Means a lot today. Yesterday I had monkey mind and was extremely restless. Made roast eggplant and ***' HATED it - without oil (though I tried roasting with tinned tomatoes - awful). I'm back to protein shakes and plain tinned tomatoes for breakfast, and will do a cabbage salad for lunch. ***.The simple things. I meditated this morning, and still inside I feel miserable. I just need to say it. My diabetic numbers are pre-diabetic, but stagnant. I don't know what will happen until I get another 20 lbs. off. I'm now at 216 lbs. Down from 225 on May 12th.

Mod edit: Expletives deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Meditation has to be fine tuned to still get our minds away from whats in them... it is not easy to master it and inside can still make numbness, no action, no motivation or inspiration...

Art therapy is good, as it actually allows you to take your mind away on to other things.. and boy, finger painting like a child can be very unwinding! Its amazing. Even colouring in adult books is taking thoughts away and unwinding...

Sometimes, people say find something to inspire or motivate you... but it can be hard to do... and then you can end up taking no action..

However, if you learn to take "action" first then motivation and inspiration naturally follows... taking "action" for anything is good, rather than waiting for motivation and inspiration...

You have done amazing to lose 9lbs since 12 May... seriously good. So you must have found some ability to take "action" to do this.

So, rather than thinking bad and miserable about plateau... and dreading failure. Embrace the challenge and take some action. Demotivation, lack of inspiration etc always results in no action.... or sometimes the wrong action.. even including drugs, alchohol, comfort food etc... or avoiding doing things.

Think "action" first...

You can do this... you have huge support here and you have people that fully understand making a horrible roasted eggplant !! Totally!! Roasted eggplant reminds me of slugs to be honest!! Something about taste and texture!! Been there, done that!! Stick to fried courgette now!! Or roasted beetroot, cut thick in to chips and roasted! I hate raw beetroot but love it cooked! And with a bit of mayo to dunk the beetroot chips in!!

See each day as a new day and a new action needed. Give yourself loads of praise for doing well and for doing an action!!

We are right behind you and in your pockets all the way.

Reactions: Serena51

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Come on, you can do this, you have before so you can again and this time make it better so that the weight stays off. Stop expecting to lose noticeable amounts of weight on a daily basis, set aside a few minutes once a week to weigh, take measurements and record them. I found Monday was a good day for me - I work every Sunday so Mondays were the start of my 'weekend', and by losing a pound a week it was soon noticeable, I don't have loose skin and I soon had achieved my goal.
Working in a public facing job means that I have to paint on a smile whatever I am feeling, gradually through a day I usually find that if I feel down at the start I feel better by lunch and human by the time it is time to close. If at home I tend to indulge myself and by the end of the day regret not achieving more.
You are unlikely to plateau just yet, but be prepared for it a few weeks down the line. Remember the story of the hare and the tortoise, so just keep going and you will be a winner.

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
GREAT advice. Thank you: "Stop expecting to lose noticeable amounts of weight on a daily basis." Truly appreciate it, and will definitely look forward to not having loose skin. I did the last time, so it's a real concern. Thank you again for the reminder to have patience.

Come on, you can do this, you have before so you can again and this time make it better so that the weight stays off. Stop expecting to lose noticeable amounts of weight on a daily basis, set aside a few minutes once a week to weigh, take measurements and record them. I found Monday was a good day for me - I work every Sunday so Mondays were the start of my 'weekend', and by losing a pound a week it was soon noticeable, I don't have loose skin and I soon had achieved my goal.
Working in a public facing job means that I have to paint on a smile whatever I am feeling, gradually through a day I usually find that if I feel down at the start I feel better by lunch and human by the time it is time to close. If at home I tend to indulge myself and by the end of the day regret not achieving more.
You are unlikely to plateau just yet, but be prepared for it a few weeks down the line. Remember the story of the hare and the tortoise, so just keep going and you will be a winner.

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
Meditation has to be fine tuned to still get our minds away from whats in them... it is not easy to master it and inside can still make numbness, no action, no motivation or inspiration...

Art therapy is good, as it actually allows you to take your mind away on to other things.. and boy, finger painting like a child can be very unwinding! Its amazing. Even colouring in adult books is taking thoughts away and unwinding...

Sometimes, people say find something to inspire or motivate you... but it can be hard to do... and then you can end up taking no action..

However, if you learn to take "action" first then motivation and inspiration naturally follows... taking "action" for anything is good, rather than waiting for motivation and inspiration...

You have done amazing to lose 9lbs since 12 May... seriously good. So you must have found some ability to take "action" to do this.

So, rather than thinking bad and miserable about plateau... and dreading failure. Embrace the challenge and take some action. Demotivation, lack of inspiration etc always results in no action.... or sometimes the wrong action.. even including drugs, alchohol, comfort food etc... or avoiding doing things.

Think "action" first...

You can do this... you have huge support here and you have people that fully understand making a horrible roasted eggplant !! Totally!! Roasted eggplant reminds me of slugs to be honest!! Something about taste and texture!! Been there, done that!! Stick to fried courgette now!! Or roasted beetroot, cut thick in to chips and roasted! I hate raw beetroot but love it cooked! And with a bit of mayo to dunk the beetroot chips in!!

See each day as a new day and a new action needed. Give yourself loads of praise for doing well and for doing an action!!

We are right behind you and in your pockets all the way.

Am I ever with you on the ACTION bit. Totally. This was such a perfect message and a very generous one, again, to receive. I also caught up with your other responses to MY response...hey, you are a special person, I can see. You made me really feel much better today, at day end, when I saw your message to me. To be able to be really understood about the nature of meditation - and challenged - is very special and helpful. So, thank you again, and may this dialogue continue. I readjust my thinking and actions with every new learning. But for sure...action is key. I like the idea of art therapy or art as therapy being the very thing that heals. I am a musician, and so music for me, as well as scribbly drawing...seems to the way I have to work through some of those frustrated mental thoughts and feelings. I know there's a growth opportunity here. I'll take it.

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.

Thank you so much. I agree. I'm so glad I decided to come back and 'work' the site here a bit more, read, and check...I'm learning new things by the day...today I read that 86% of people who lost over 15 kg managed to get into diabetes reversal. Those are good odds. I wish it read as 100% but what can you do? The bigger question that I can defer for now is how to overcome the odds of failure at 1, 2, and 4 years. You guys, you veterans, who seem to have mastered this and who stick around here to mentor and presumably stay inspired and healthy...inspire me to just keep marching forward. It cheers me, thank goodness.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I agree with not weighing every day... I was to gain weight!!! And got knocked when I hadnt gained a 1lb so I have a reversed true empathy for not losing a lb..
However I did find that changing to weekly, and now very rarely helped my mind a lot and for me it has enabled me to gain the 2stone I needed.. when weighing daily I could only lose!! So although its the reverse I needed to do... it is suggested my lots of people to weigh only weekly.. indeed weightwatchers etc have weekly weigh ins.... and support is important too. People that can identify with struggles.

My friend has stoma bag, ileostomy bag and bladder bag. I stand chance of losing my colon at some point if things get worse. I could be thinking omg... look what my friend has to put up with, I couldnt do that.... byt infact its given me positivity that I could if that was the worst thing that may come about, but actually also makes me more determined to not let it. Having friends whether virtually or in reality or professionals with true empathy and support is invaluable... dont think about 1, 2 or 4 years... cope with now... otherwise you heap pressure on yourself..
Most persons with cancer worry about it returning... like you worry about weight returning... but letting go of those thoughts and doing the best now is so important. You cannot know the future, I dont know if cancer will return but I can still live in the meantime and do my best daily. It may only be one thing that I achieve.. but that one thing on that one day is important because it has to be a laugh or a moment of fun.

Dont worry about 1, 2 or 4 years ahead... look at babies learning to walk. They may be falling down and falling down etc, but determination and encouragement and not having thoughts of "I keep falling down, so I'm going to give up"... they havent learnt those thoughts... they have that willpower and determination to keep plugging away and when they've learnt to stand... well then its running, jumping, skipping etc.... but they dont know that....

We make our futures from encouragement and no fear... no fear of failure but determination and learning how to deal with struggles...yes, even standing.. none of us remember those battles of falling over, to walk or our first time of running...

Our adult learnt fear of failure needs to be let go of.... we need to learn not to be afraid of falling over and to enjoy getting stood up and doing more....

We are virtual help... and friends... we'll always support and encourage you to go forward... albeit they are all from own experiences and not qualified medics or professionals.

Capture in your mind how babies and toddlers have no fear of anything... they dont know successs or failure.. they just keep going at it!! So can you.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
memememeiii
I'm afraid, due to the late hour (or early am - it's just gone 1am -UK and I need to get to bed), I have to admit to only skimming through your thread

However, one thing regarding your symptoms of neuropathy, burning etc, it's possible, due to diabetic medications and/or other meds if you take acid-reducing stomach meds, plus loads of other meds, you could be Vit B12 deficient, as these meds can hinder the absorption process of B12

It might be worth your while checking out the symptoms of B12 deficiency to see if you may recognise issues and relate to them. The bad news is that doctors are notably 'ignorant' of recognising this, even with relevant blood tests etc, so you'd need to read up about it all. You could also check out Health Unblocked forums, or for Pernicious Anaemia (different cause but same symptoms & treatment). There is very good, sound advice and help there.

I have difficulty too, regarding keeping to LCHF but find the Freestyle Libre monitoring system helps keep me on track. Unfortunately, it isn't cheap but, if you could afford it, it could be your lifesaver ;) It certainly is mine :)

Wishing you all the best

memememeiii

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dunno. Strange question.
memememeiii
I'm afraid, due to the late hour (or early am - it's just gone 1am -UK and I need to get to bed), I have to admit to only skimming through your thread

However, one thing regarding your symptoms of neuropathy, burning etc, it's possible, due to diabetic medications and/or other meds if you take acid-reducing stomach meds, plus loads of other meds, you could be Vit B12 deficient, as these meds can hinder the absorption process of B12

It might be worth your while checking out the symptoms of B12 deficiency to see if you may recognise issues and relate to them. The bad news is that doctors are notably 'ignorant' of recognising this, even with relevant blood tests etc, so you'd need to read up about it all. You could also check out Health Unblocked forums, or for Pernicious Anaemia (different cause but same symptoms & treatment). There is very good, sound advice and help there.

I have difficulty too, regarding keeping to LCHF but find the Freestyle Libre monitoring system helps keep me on track. Unfortunately, it isn't cheap but, if you could afford it, it could be your lifesaver ;) It certainly is mine :)

Wishing you all the best
Those are excellent tips and reminders re. B12. I'm sure I'm fine, but do need to be vigilant, I think, and follow up on this - do some testing. Thank you.