bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok team here goes for our May fast
Had my last meal at 8pm tonight let's see how long we can go

I am hoping to be joined by @rab5 @rom35 @Mbaker @wiflib @jasmindesylva @david1968 @swavbags @Hotpepper20000 @kamsamji @Happyhomelands @vanillapie @lindijanice @FantomPoet (maybe?) @ianpspurs (maybe?) @Robbity (maybe?)

As a word of warning If you feel ill or experience significant hunger whilst fasting please eat something. It is meant to make you feel better not worse.
If you are on blood sugar lowering meds please monitor blood glucose very carefully (we don't want to induce any hypos)
There are no specific fasting methods or any minimum time limits so feel free to come and go as you wish.

For first timers have a read of this
https://www.dietdoctor.com/longer-fasting-regimens

@DCUKMod If you have any words of wisdom to add please feel free
I'm sure @Goonergal will be with us in spirit if not actually joining this time (and I hope she is feeling much better)

I'll be back tomorrow with some starting figs so see you all then.

Any questions don't be afraid to ask.

All the best and happy fasting

Regards
Mark

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
last meal 20.5.2018 @21:00
21.5.2018 4:30 (7.5 hours): BG 4.5; Weight 93.5; Visceral fat 11. Ketones @8:30 0.1

Last edited:
Reactions: Freema and rab5

Hotpepper20000

I will be doing one meal a day in the evening. Extending from only skipping breakfast to just having supper.
It’s Mr Hotpeppers last week before leaving for a month with work, so i still want to enjoy evening meals with him.
I’ll be back in the morning with my FBG number.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck all I’m also with you in spirit and will be supporting you all from the sidelines.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry late had a lie in this morning..!

Starting figs:
FBG 5.8
Ketones 0.3 ! hmmm no idea why so low
Weight 214.4 pounds 97.25kg
Body Fat 27%
Visceral Fat 13
BMI 29.1

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am going to be late to this party.
Just returned from holiday and having meal out with friends tonight. I intend to start a 48 hour fast on Wednesday evening.
My method will be light low carb meal Wednesday, thereafter drink freely green tea with lemon, peppermint tea, decaffinated coffee. 'Meals' if I fel necessarywill be Marmite in hot water, or Oxo cube of any flavour. Will be drinking plenty of water, small glass often. An emergency supply of double cream will be on standby, in case of hunger pangs, but I haven't needed this in previous fasts.

My reason for fasting? I have maintained weight for 3 years now on a low carb diet, having lost a lot on Newcastle diet method, then regained some of that following NHS advice. I still have far too much excess weight. I have in the last few months needed steroid meds and have seen a worrying increase in BG levels, particularly first test in morning, but alarmingly had some double figures for a few weeks. Main aim is to ensure that BG levels return to more comfortable levels. Any weight loss will be a bonus.

The GP nurse who monitors my health conditions is aware of my fasting, and approves. She fast it herself. I agree with @bulkbiker 's comments above, about being cautious with medication and testing, and breaking the fast if necessary, and would add that this is not a competition, so nobody should feel they have to compare their progress with others.

Best of luck to you all.

Reactions: Debandez and rab5

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm looking at fasting on weds at least until evening meal. Normally on weekends I'll fast until the afternoon but this is a first on a weekday.

Any tips?

Reactions: rab5

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
OK here goes @ . 0926 hrs

Last meal 20/5/18 10pm 50g pecan & Brazil Nuts:

FBG 4.7
Ketones 2.1
Weight 75.05kg - 11st-11.5lbs - 165.5 lbs
Body Fat 17.9
Visceral Fat 8.5
BMI 23.2

Im actually not feeling great. As a man I demand my right to complain that i may be coming down with something clearly not man-flu to fast under those conditions would be suicide. But I may be suffering from a cold, or ebola or leprosy its hard to tell.

Good Luck Peeps. Remember its a not a competition. If it doesnt feel right STOP!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm looking at fasting on weds at least until evening meal. Normally on weekends I'll fast until the afternoon but this is a first on a weekday.

Any tips?
Will you be working during the fasting period, @Engineer88 ?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I'm mostly desk based so should be ok hopefully. No major meetings after 10am
Reason I asked is that other people around can be a source of irritation. (Well for me, anyway.) especially those that are too curious about what you are doing, and / or want to offer opinions or tempting foods.
If you have felt ok fasting at weekends then being desk based you shouldn't have a problem with fatigue or anything. Though when I fast I seem to have more energy and am able to do usual activities and exercise. Not sure how it would be for anyone doing heavy manual work, though.

Reactions: rom35 and rab5

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I can get stressed out in work. I notice my BG rises by a point or two depending whats happening

Reactions: Freema and rom35

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Reason I asked is that other people around can be a source of irritation. (Well for me, anyway.) especially those that are too curious about what you are doing, and / or want to offer opinions or tempting foods.
If you have felt ok fasting at weekends then being desk based you shouldn't have a problem with fatigue or anything. Though when I fast I seem to have more energy and am able to do usual activities and exercise. Not sure how it would be for anyone doing heavy manual work, though.
A lot of regular fasters often say that they prefer to exercise fasted.. Richard Morris one of the Two Keto Dudes often does 100km bike rides in a fasted state. And lots of people who lift weights also prefer to do so fasted.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot of regular fasters often say that they prefer to exercise fasted.. Richard Morris one of the Two Keto Dudes often does 100km bike rides in a fasted state. And lots of people who lift weights also prefer to do so fasted.
My own theory is that if my body is not busy digesting food, it can be more productive in other ways.
I suspect I read that somewhere and plagiarised it.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I don't eat anything offered at work anyway as I'm coeliac, very rare is it that I'm able to eat treats :)

Reactions: Debandez and rab5

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all hope its all going well for you. I did my 72 hours earlier this month as I will be helping my son and his wife move house during this period. Basically went from bg of 5.3 at start to 3.9 at the end with ketones 2.8. Weight went from 11- 9 to 11-6 body fat 17.1
I am satisfied with that so hope everyone else likes what they find out from this process.
Forgot to add I made bone broth this time which I adore with a healthy slug of cider vinegar so that was a bonus! Local Morrisons has packs of bones which have enough meat to feed 2 old gits like us for £2.50 max and the broth cooks from frozen - I obs strained everything out.

Last edited:
Reactions: rab5

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Morning all hope its all going well for you. I did my 72 hours earlier this month as I will be helping my son and his wife move house during this period. Basically went from bg of 5.3 at start to 3.9 at the end with ketones 2.8. Weight went from 11- 9 to 11-6 body fat 17.1
I am satisfied with that so hope everyone else likes what they find out from this process.
Forgot to add I made bone broth this time which I adore with a healthy slug of cider vinegar so that was a bonus!

What a great result. Brilliant.

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
I’m a terrible cook. How do you make broth without stinking the house out