Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I made a whole load of stuff for lunches this week and for the freezer yesterday. Everything is delicious, but the runaway success were these: https://www.heyketomama.com/keto-peanut-butter-cheesecake-bites/

I just tried one after they had a night in the freezer. They are the nearest thing to a Magnum ice-cream, but a lot better for you.

PW1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
... the runaway success were these: https://www.heyketomama.com/keto-peanut-butter-cheesecake-bites/

I just tried one after they had a night in the freezer. They are the nearest thing to a Magnum ice-cream, but a lot better for you.

Thank you for this idea. I just tried an experiment based on it.

I love chocolate covered peppermint creams - except they are loaded with sugar.

I tried some 100% Choc melted with coconut oil. Layered in little paper cup cake cases. With a centre of the solid bit of a tin of coconut cream (Tesco), mixed with peppermint extract to make it just minty enough for me. Obviously freezing at each stage.

It has almost worked - they taste great and the chocolate texture is just right. But the coconut cream seems to be taking forever to solidify - probably because of my impatience and the alcohol in the peppermint extract. Hopefully I will be able to wait overnight and they will be just like the real thing.

Next time I might try creamed coconut instead of coconut cream, because creamed coconut still has the coconut fibre in it to hold it together.

This is such a simple idea. I love how the chocolate comes out wafer thin. Delicious texture. So thank you again, simple to do and taste great.

Reactions: Tabbyjoolz

Shelly69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I haven’t been on for well over a year I used to enjoy reading what others were eating on low carb, can anyone help me please?

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
There are sections titled "what have you eaten today" which you can subscribe to and also add your own meals.

Last edited:

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just made this sauce to go with salmon this evening. It is delicious! Says it serves 6 but in reality only 3.
Melt 1 tbsp butter in a saucepan and saute 5 crushed garlic cloves until fragrant. Pour in 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock. Simmer for 5 mins until reduced by half. Whisk in 3 tbsp full fat coconut milk, 2 tsp dijon mustard, 2 tsp lemon juice & 1/4 cup fresh dill. Serve over fish fillet.

I also add brown shrimp to my sauce. You could just use it as a sauce over courgetti or similar.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My first birthday since diagnosis and going low carb is coming up - I've already decided on what I'll eat - and have some Oppo ice-cream in the freezer for a treat, but I'd like to have a birthday cake of some form - a google for shop bought low carb cakes has unsurprisingly drawn a blank but has anyone got any quick and easy 'crowd-pleasing' chocolate cake recipes that I could enjoy and my family would enjoy as well? Thanks in advance. :)

Mongolia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My first birthday since diagnosis and going low carb is coming up - I've already decided on what I'll eat - and have some Oppo ice-cream in the freezer for a treat, but I'd like to have a birthday cake of some form - a google for shop bought low carb cakes has unsurprisingly drawn a blank but has anyone got any quick and easy 'crowd-pleasing' chocolate cake recipes that I could enjoy and my family would enjoy as well? Thanks in advance. :)
I made these the other day and they are lovely! https://www.gnom-gnom.com/gluten-free-keto-cheesecake-brownies/ Probably not the sort of birthday cake you were after but it does go well with Oppo!
I haven't tried this recipe but it looks more like a traditional cake https://simplysohealthy.com/low-carb-chocolate-latte-dream-cake/ If you make it, let me know what it is like :p

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made these the other day and they are lovely! https://www.gnom-gnom.com/gluten-free-keto-cheesecake-brownies/ Probably not the sort of birthday cake you were after but it does go well with Oppo!
I haven't tried this recipe but it looks more like a traditional cake https://simplysohealthy.com/low-carb-chocolate-latte-dream-cake/ If you make it, let me know what it is like :p
ooh thanks so much they both look amazing - if I manage to make either I'll report back!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve made Nigella’s chocolate olive oil cake a couple of times substituting erythritol for sugar, it’s gorgeous and very easy. (I use the forum app and can’t figure out how to copy the link but if you google chocolate olive oil cake and Nigella you’ll find it) good luck and hope you have a lovely birthday.

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve made Nigella’s chocolate olive oil cake a couple of times substituting erythritol for sugar, it’s gorgeous and very easy. (I use the forum app and can’t figure out how to copy the link but if you google chocolate olive oil cake and Nigella you’ll find it) good luck and hope you have a lovely birthday.
Thanks @DJC3, that looks great to try. For those of you using erythritol - is stevia the same thing, as I have Truvia stevia I use for my chia seed puddings - would that be ok to use?
My birthday was last week and in the end I ran out of time so instead had a small slice of regular cake - it was interesting as although it was nice enough I know I would have enjoyed a low carb one more as I'm realising how much more flavourful home cooked 'real' food is - the handful of cheats I've had have never been worth it.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @DJC3, that looks great to try. For those of you using erythritol - is stevia the same thing, as I have Truvia stevia I use for my chia seed puddings - would that be ok to use?
My birthday was last week and in the end I ran out of time so instead had a small slice of regular cake - it was interesting as although it was nice enough I know I would have enjoyed a low carb one more as I'm realising how much more flavourful home cooked 'real' food is - the handful of cheats I've had have never been worth it.

Oh I’m sorry I missed the date but glad you managed a small slice of something.
I don’t know enough about sweeteners, I should think any that you normally use without affecting your bs, and which can be substituted for sugar in baking ( they usually say on the packet) would be ok. Erythritol says 130g is the equivalent of 100g sugar.
I’m tagging @shelley262 as I know she does a lot of baking.

I made this chocolate one recently for a fund raising bash and everyone said they actually preferred it to the regular cakes, it’s so moist and chocolatey!

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t know enough about sweeteners, I should think any that you normally use without affecting your bs, and which can be substituted for sugar in baking ( they usually say on the packet) would be ok. Erythritol says 130g is the equivalent of 100g sugar.

I made this chocolate one recently for a fund raising bash and everyone said they actually preferred it to the regular cakes, it’s so moist and chocolatey!
Thanks I will give it a go - I have yet to venture into low carb baking, except for some nut muffins I like making - I need to start being more adventurous!

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks I will give it a go - I have yet to venture into low carb baking, except for some nut muffins I like making - I need to start being more adventurous!

Good luck. I was so happy when I made this as I thought cakes and chocolatey things were forever gone from my life!
There is also a nice lemon drizzle cake on everydaysugarfree.co.uk

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi @eggs11 re sweetners I think the best mix is to use erythritol in same weight as the sugar you are replacing but then add a few drops of stevia liquid which just brings up the sweetness without affecting the ‘balance’ of the cake as many cakes are equal dry ingredients. Another tip is to crack the eggs and separate the whites from the yolks. Then whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt to soft peaks and fold the whites in at the end. The yolks can be added in at the time the recipe suggests you add eggs. As ground almonds are heavier than flour this lifts the cake. Truvia would work - but I think the mix of stevia and erythritol is just like sugar. Has no impact on my bg either! Enjoy your baking I love it and it’s great to produce cakes that taste as good as if not better than traditional cakes

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @eggs11 re sweetners I think the best mix is to use erythritol in same weight as the sugar you are replacing but then add a few drops of stevia liquid which just brings up the sweetness without affecting the ‘balance’ of the cake as many cakes are equal dry ingredients. Another tip is to crack the eggs and separate the whites from the yolks. Then whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt to soft peaks and fold the whites in at the end. The yolks can be added in at the time the recipe suggests you add eggs. As ground almonds are heavier than flour this lifts the cake. Truvia would work - but I think the mix of stevia and erythritol is just like sugar. Has no impact on my bg either! Enjoy your baking I love it and it’s great to produce cakes that taste as good as if not better than traditional cakes
Thanks @shelley262 - great tip about the eggs too!

Tannedhaggis

Thank you for Sharing. I made this today for the first time.WOW! I am not a fan of sweetners as I am sensitive to the aftertaste, however I found a web site https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/how-to-substitute-sugar/ and used the 1 tsp stevia with 3/4 cup of Greek yogurt. The cake tastes wonderful with no aftertaste. I added a few blueberries and cream and it’s enough to keep me on the low carb road

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for Sharing. I made this today for the first time.WOW! I am not a fan of sweetners as I am sensitive to the aftertaste, however I found a web site https://www.biggerbolderbaking.com/how-to-substitute-sugar/ and used the 1 tsp stevia with 3/4 cup of Greek yogurt. The cake tastes wonderful with no aftertaste. I added a few blueberries and cream and it’s enough to keep me on the low carb road

Ooh I bet it was heavenly with the blueberries and cream.

I haven’t come accross that website but will certainly take a look now as I sometimes find the strange ‘coldness’ erythritol gives a bit offputting.

Reactions: Jemz