HAS ANYONE EVER CHALLENGED THE NHS EAT WELL PLATE/GUIDE RE DIABETICS?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is blatently obvious that the NHS guidelines are so wrong for diabetics. And probably for people in general. But specifically for us. As diabetics we are carbohydrate intolerant so we have to keep carbs much lower than people who aren't. There seems to be an under lying reason that we aren't given proper advice and we are offered medication and not adviced to check blood sugars with a meter. Drs get paid more for patients on diabetes meds I believe (and even more when statins are perscribed). Pharma companies are also quids in as are diabetes organisations. Poor dietary advice keeps people sick and results in them needing more meds. Does anyone know whether the eatwell guidelines have ever been challenged. For example via change.org?

Reactions: Prem51 and Kevin259

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
To be fair, virtually nobody follows the government dietary guidelines. They are difficult to adhere to even if you really try to.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a systemic problem that will be difficult to dislodged. Big food and pharma are too deeply entrenched in the system and profits globally from the current model of "healthcare". Changes will only come if there is an alternative model that actually gets rewarded for healthy outcomes and not sickness...

Reactions: Prem51 and Debandez

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is proving to be akin to fighting Medusa with no more than a butter knife and a coat hanger but there are a growing number of people in the medical profession challenging the dogma, calling for full disclosure and clarity within and without the system. It seems that there needs to be a generational change as well as an educational one.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Who benefits if hundreds of millions of T2D managed to reverse their condition and becomes medication free within a year or so?

Reactions: stefficlewis

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Who benefits if hundreds of millions of T2D managed to reverse their condition and becomes medication free within a year or so?
Who benefits? The diabetics who don’t get complications, and therefore the NHS as they reduce the cost of treating said complications.

Reactions: dbr10

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
and therefore the NHS as they reduce the cost of treating said complications.

If there is now a massive drop in T2D patients...it would likely be followed with a correspondingly massive drop in NHS funding...the same goes for most government health agencies around the world...

In reality only the health insurers may stand to gain from the public's improved health...depending on how their cost is structured...

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for sharing this very interesting article.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be fair, virtually nobody follows the government dietary guidelines. They are difficult to adhere to even if you really try to.
Completely agree. Ive never questioned them before. That said I've never followed instructions like the 5 a day rubbish!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a systemic problem that will be difficult to dislodged. Big food and pharma are too deeply entrenched in the system and profits globally from the current model of "healthcare". Changes will only come if there is an alternative model that actually gets rewarded for healthy outcomes and not sickness...
The healthier model has to be LCHF surely. The results are phenominal. I now have a non diabetic hba1c due to this diet and i am one of many. It would help with not only diabetes but problems with obesity which is also on the rise.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is proving to be akin to fighting Medusa with no more than a butter knife and a coat hanger but there are a growing number of people in the medical profession challenging the dogma, calling for full disclosure and clarity within and without the system. It seems that there needs to be a generational change as well as an educational one.
You can't eat an elephant whole! It's going to take time. It's just getting the word to spread faster!!!

Reactions: Rachox

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If there is now a massive drop in T2D patients...it would likely be followed with a correspondingly massive drop in NHS funding...the same goes for most government health agencies around the world...

In reality only the health insurers may stand to gain from the public's improved health...depending on how their cost is structured...
If there was a massive drop in T2D pts then the NHS (and other worldwide health organisations) would not need to give so much funding. The most important people who would gain are the diabetics themselves.

Reactions: Salvia

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never been told to eat that way by either my doctor or diabetes nurse I had never even heard of the Eat Well plate until I joined this forum

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have never been told to eat that way by either my doctor or diabetes nurse I had never even heard of the Eat Well plate until I joined this forum

I was taught the Food Pyramid at school, this was the forerunner of the Eatwell Plate.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was taught the Food Pyramid at school, this was the forerunner of the Eatwell Plate.
I have never heard of the food pyramid either I am to old to have been taught that at school lol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In general terms Zoe Harcombe challenged the Eatwell Guide,

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2016/03/eatwell-guide-conflicts-of-interest/

but not in terms specific to diabetics where the problem is different.

Malcolm Kendrick said that when he was at medical school he didn't think that they spent more than an hour on nutrition.

The medical profession doesn't/didn't seem to think that diet was important when curing a disease. I suppose hospital food demonstrated this quite well.

My DN offers no clear dietary advice (although I know she would like to) since she is confined to handing out pills for everything.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have never heard of the food pyramid either I am to old to have been taught that at school lol

I reckon I must be too old as well. The nearest thing we got to nutrition was Maslow's 'Hierarchy of Needs' :rolleyes:

Reactions: Debandez

bigsi1984

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am newly diagnosed and got handed the diet sheet on Tuesday. I'd already been self testing for two weeks and engaging with this forum. When I saw the guidelines I was gobsmacked. I felt like I should ask if they had handed me the wrong thing.

Basically, eat bread and rice and other carbs as a big chunk of your diet. No thanks!

I feel so concerned for the people who fully accept what the doctors say and blindly follow the advice of the NHS. Surely it's not right to lead them down a path that will hurt them and cost the NHS more in the long run.