Oxford Bio Bank Research Into Type 2

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have volunteered for the above study into type 2 Diabetes. Tomorrow is the day, so I have to starve from 9pm tonight, water only til after my appointment which is at 7.30 in the morning. I’m not sure what their study entails or if I’ll skew their results from the standard eatwell plate customer! :joyful:
I’ve been lured in by a free Dexa Scan complete with viewing it and a talk through what they see. However, the phrase in the letter that intrigues me most is “breakfast will be provided after your visit”! Cereals? Toast? Porridge? Or maybe a low carb option? I’m not holding my breath! :joyful:

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hopefully an omelette @Rachox ! Sounds very interesting, let us know how you get on :)

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hopefully an omelette @Rachox ! Sounds very interesting, let us know how you get on :)
Oh yes or a full English maybe?! Ha ha ha ha, who am I kidding!
Yes I’ll post about it tomorrow.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Be interested in your report back Agent Rachox!
Good luck.

Reactions: bulkbiker

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The dexa scan sounds brill. Worth any hassle methinks. Good luck. :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck with it @Rachox . Perhaps having something suitable as a brekkers in your handbag could be a plan.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck with it @Rachox . Perhaps having something suitable as a brekkers in your handbag could be a plan.
I will take something, however I live very close to the hospital, so may just come home for my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ :hungry:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok, so this is how it went. Once the nurse had checked I’d read the info I’d been sent she explained what would happen and I signed the consent form. This part of the study is really just to get baseline info for further studies that I may be selected for if I want to take part. She then checked my demographic details and explained how from then on my info would be anonymised. Then a blood test, BP, weight, height (I’m 1.5cm taller than on my GP record!), medical and drug history taken. Next lifestyle questions, that’s when I became all evangelical about my control of my Diabetes and my weight loss by low carbing, she seemed to have a little knowledge about low carbing but was amazed by my weight loss and blood sugar control! Then the exciting bit the Dexa scan :happy:
So things I have learnt from today:
1) My white coat syndrome with BP readings is alive and kicking, we’ll just gloss over my BP reading there! :joyful::hilarious:
2) With my new found accurate height I am no longer ‘obese’, my BMI is now 29.8, which just makes me ‘overweight’ :happy:
3) My visceral versus subcutaneous fat ratio shown on the scan is nearly perfect, a little more weight loss should sort that out :)
4) The metal work in my feet shows up very clearly on Dexa scans! :playful:
Things the nurse has learnt today:
1) Low carb eating for weight loss and blood sugar control really works and
2) they need to offer choices other than toast or cereal for breakfast after the tests! :banghead:
Yes I took a dark chocolate and raspberry low carb snack bar from home in my bag to have with the black coffee that they provided :hungry:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok, so this is how it went. Once the nurse had checked I’d read the info I’d been sent she explained what would happen and I signed the consent form. This part of the study is really just to get baseline info for further studies that I may be selected for if I want to take part. She then checked my demographic details and explained how from then on my info would be anonymised. Then a blood test, BP, weight, height (I’m 1.5cm taller than on my GP record!), medical and drug history taken. Next lifestyle questions, that’s when I became all evangelical about my control of my Diabetes and my weight loss by low carbing, she seemed to have a little knowledge about low carbing but was amazed by my weight loss and blood sugar control! Then the exciting bit the Dexa scan :happy:
So things I have learnt from today:
1) My white coat syndrome with BP readings is alive and kicking, we’ll just gloss over my BP reading there! :joyful::hilarious:
2) With my new found accurate height I am no longer ‘obese’, my BMI is now 29.8, which just makes me ‘overweight’ :happy:
3) My visceral versus subcutaneous fat ratio shown on the scan is nearly perfect, a little more weight loss should sort that out :)
4) The metal work in my feet shows up very clearly on Dexa scans! :playful:
Things the nurse has learnt today:
1) Low carb eating for weight loss and blood sugar control really works and
2) they need to offer choices other than toast or cereal for breakfast after the tests! :banghead:
Yes I took a dark chocolate and raspberry low carb snack bar from home in my bag to have with the black coffee that they provided :hungry:
Sounds like it went really well my white coat syndrome is also alive and kicking my body is normally now 116/73at home but an impressive 175/80 at the drs!
Good news about the height it’s def in your favour great that you’ve come down to overweight and also good level of visceral fAt welldone you

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good stuff and nice work on the BMI.... posture is everything :)
Please excuse my lack of ken, what is a Dexa scan?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It all sounds very exciting, and every half centimeter counts when measuring height! :)

Do you get any scores from the dexa scan, or is that all the information you get? However, nearly perfect ratio is brilliant.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like it went really well my white coat syndrome is also alive and kicking my body is normally now 116/73at home but an impressive 175/80 at the drs!
Good news about the height it’s def in your favour great that you’ve come down to overweight and also good level of visceral fAt welldone you
Thank you for your kind words. It would have been so interesting to have done all this a year ago to see the differences in the stats now, but I know that they are so much better, so that’s what matters.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good stuff and nice work on the BMI.... posture is everything :)
Please excuse my lack of ken, what is a Dexa scan?
A Dexa Scan is a type of low radiation X-ray from what I can gather, it’s a full body scan which produces two images. One is bone density, she didn’t say much about that except that my head is dense, I mean my skull! :joyful: She noted that my right arm and leg were a little denser because I’m right handed. The other image is of fat distribution both internal and subcutaneous it calculates what percentage of you is fat and where it’s placed, and produces a table of percentages for each area.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It all sounds very exciting, and every half centimeter counts when measuring height! :)

Do you get any scores from the dexa scan, or is that all the information you get? However, nearly perfect ratio is brilliant.
She gave me a copy of the images and the tables but it’s a lot of medical mumbo jumbo. Though you’d be interested in the total fat reading compared to my hubby’s Tanita scales. I measure myself on his scales as soon as I got home. Scales said 39.9%, scan said 41.1 so not too different.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Though you’d be interested in the total fat reading compared to my hubby’s Tanita scales. I measure myself on his scales as soon as I got home. Scales said 39.9%, scan said 41.1 so not too different.

That is good to know, thank you.

Reactions: hankjam