1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Oxford Bio Bank Research Into Type 2

Discussion in 'Diabetes Research' started by Rachox, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Rachox

Rachox Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I have volunteered for the above study into type 2 Diabetes. Tomorrow is the day, so I have to starve from 9pm tonight, water only til after my appointment which is at 7.30 in the morning. I’m not sure what their study entails or if I’ll skew their results from the standard eatwell plate customer! :joyful:
    I’ve been lured in by a free Dexa Scan complete with viewing it and a talk through what they see. However, the phrase in the letter that intrigues me most is “breakfast will be provided after your visit”! Cereals? Toast? Porridge? Or maybe a low carb option? I’m not holding my breath! :joyful:

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Hopefully an omelette @Rachox ! Sounds very interesting, let us know how you get on :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rachox

Staff Member

Oh yes or a full English maybe?! Ha ha ha ha, who am I kidding!
    Yes I’ll post about it tomorrow.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Be interested in your report back Agent Rachox!
    Good luck.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

The dexa scan sounds brill. Worth any hassle methinks. Good luck. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Good luck with it @Rachox . Perhaps having something suitable as a brekkers in your handbag could be a plan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. 4ratbags

4ratbags Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Can't wait to hear how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rachox

Staff Member

I will take something, however I live very close to the hospital, so may just come home for my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ :hungry:

9. Rachox

Staff Member

Ok, so this is how it went. Once the nurse had checked I’d read the info I’d been sent she explained what would happen and I signed the consent form. This part of the study is really just to get baseline info for further studies that I may be selected for if I want to take part. She then checked my demographic details and explained how from then on my info would be anonymised. Then a blood test, BP, weight, height (I’m 1.5cm taller than on my GP record!), medical and drug history taken. Next lifestyle questions, that’s when I became all evangelical about my control of my Diabetes and my weight loss by low carbing, she seemed to have a little knowledge about low carbing but was amazed by my weight loss and blood sugar control! Then the exciting bit the Dexa scan :happy:
    So things I have learnt from today:
    1) My white coat syndrome with BP readings is alive and kicking, we’ll just gloss over my BP reading there! :joyful::hilarious:
    2) With my new found accurate height I am no longer ‘obese’, my BMI is now 29.8, which just makes me ‘overweight’ :happy:
    3) My visceral versus subcutaneous fat ratio shown on the scan is nearly perfect, a little more weight loss should sort that out :)
    4) The metal work in my feet shows up very clearly on Dexa scans! :playful:
    Things the nurse has learnt today:
    1) Low carb eating for weight loss and blood sugar control really works and
    2) they need to offer choices other than toast or cereal for breakfast after the tests! :banghead:
    Yes I took a dark chocolate and raspberry low carb snack bar from home in my bag to have with the black coffee that they provided :hungry:

• Like Like x 4
  10. shelley262

shelley262 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sounds like it went really well my white coat syndrome is also alive and kicking my body is normally now 116/73at home but an impressive 175/80 at the drs!
    Good news about the height it’s def in your favour great that you’ve come down to overweight and also good level of visceral fAt welldone you

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Good stuff and nice work on the BMI.... posture is everything :)
    Please excuse my lack of ken, what is a Dexa scan?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bluetit1802

It all sounds very exciting, and every half centimeter counts when measuring height! :)

Do you get any scores from the dexa scan, or is that all the information you get? However, nearly perfect ratio is brilliant.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jenniewren1958

Jenniewren1958 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well done @Rachox nice to see hard work pay off

• Like Like x 1
  14. Rachox

Staff Member

Thank you for your kind words. It would have been so interesting to have done all this a year ago to see the differences in the stats now, but I know that they are so much better, so that’s what matters.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Rachox

Staff Member

A Dexa Scan is a type of low radiation X-ray from what I can gather, it’s a full body scan which produces two images. One is bone density, she didn’t say much about that except that my head is dense, I mean my skull! :joyful: She noted that my right arm and leg were a little denser because I’m right handed. The other image is of fat distribution both internal and subcutaneous it calculates what percentage of you is fat and where it’s placed, and produces a table of percentages for each area.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Rachox

Staff Member

She gave me a copy of the images and the tables but it’s a lot of medical mumbo jumbo. Though you’d be interested in the total fat reading compared to my hubby’s Tanita scales. I measure myself on his scales as soon as I got home. Scales said 39.9%, scan said 41.1 so not too different.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

How do people sign up for this?

18. Bluetit1802

That is good to know, thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Rachox

Staff Member

I was told about it at my Diabetes2gether course Oxford’s equivalent of Desmond. I then just rang up but I think it looks like it’s just for people who live in Oxford.
    http://www.oxfordbiobank.org.uk/

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook