"The Truth About Carbs"?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t know. Maybe freezing bread Good carbs v bad carbs. I can’t put my finger on it. I read a tweet by Dr Unwin after the end of the show. He said Nearly all breads digest down into a lot of glucose I worry most of my patients won’t remember your freezing trick.....

I wonder did he bulk at that bit.
I am not sure how deeply Dr Unwin is with LC diets. In the past he has introduced them gently into his practice and patients, but IMO would not consider keto diets for example. I think his work with PHC and Diabetes Community (this site) has helped him and in this prog he seemed to be more supportive than in the past. I think he is still going softly softly catchee monkey. I was pleasantly surprised by his responses tonight. Don't forget that as an active GP he still has to toe the official line as laid down by NICE, but that advice did become more patient centred this last year so gives a bit of leeway to ease up on the diet. He used such loophole to allow his work in the practice where he started a trial to show that diet can be used as a tool, but it was quite low key. He did get an award as an NHS innovator which was proper recognition for this work @bulkbiker will know more about this than I do.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@SockFiddler if it sounds too good to be true.... it normally is.

Not in 2wks but years, it takes.... some decades.
That's why I'm going down bariatric route to cut some time off. It won't bypass the hard work and then maintenance but will knock a few years of slow boring depressing weight loss for me to be enthusiastic to get in remission, again.
Some have a huge job on their hands. Decades of work not weeks.

Reactions: briped

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So it looks like I'm going to be that guy again.

A couple of things:bookworm:
  • He used to be diabetic.
  • Pre-diabetic now.
  • Pre-pre-diabetic.
  • 2 week HbA1c tests?
  • LC but no mention of HF
(although healthy fat it was just slightly hinted at with the nut base for the lime pie)

Over all I have like both programs, neither is perfect. ;)
:bag:
Dr Unwin is not, I believe, a proponent of LCHF diet or keto. He is LC only as far as I know.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although I think in fact they specifically said wholegrain and not wholemeal... I hope quite deliberately but they didn't really emphasise the difference enough. or did I mishear?
They did get the baker to tell us about stone ground flour and milling to preserve all the goodness, as opposed to factory bread which tastes like plastic. So they did cover it.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The best piece of advice I’ve been given so far (fairly recently diagnosed) is not to double up carbs. I asked what that meant and the answer was, if I have toast for breakfast then don’t have a sandwich for lunch. It certainly helped me start to make sense if it all. I enjoyed the program but think some long term diagnosed might have found it a bit patronising.
I enjoyed it too, and,no, I did not find it patronising even after nearly 4 years of low carb lifestyle and 15 years of being a PWD.

Reactions: dbr10

Diawara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope they roll it out to. I'd like to be a fly on the wall when the trainers on the DESMOND course have to change their dietary advice. When I told them about this web site and I was low-carbing, they thought I was mad and in denial that I was diabetic, and said that it was a progressive disease and I should eat potatoes, rice, pasta etc but in moderation. I'm glad I found this website. Thanks to all of you.
i ve just been on the DESMOND course (monday) i found it helped me a bit but they were talking low carb diets to lose weight i had a quiet word with one of the nurses and showed her my monitoring diary for the last three months which she was most impressed no figures over 7.0....at the end of the session she asked me if i would give the rest of the group my story ..low carb diet weight loss 24 kilos since november but most of it since diagnosis weight has been constant for at least six weeks..certainly this course has wised up...my hb1ac test is in a few days and yes this website is brilliant ...

Reactions: rab5 and dbr10

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
No, they didn't, but did say breads like Rye and sourdough.
I can't convince Mr. Blue about brown bread being the same as white and not the same as wholegrain.

Did they recommend ryebread? It may be slightly better than white bread, but still not good enough imho. I quit eating it a couple of months ago. I've attached a pic of the declaration on the ryebread currently in the fridge (my husband eats it). It's in Danish/Swedish, but should make sense :) ½ a slice is roughly 30g, and quite a small portion. My husband eats 2 slices for lunch, for example.
rugbrød 2018-06-07 07.53.57.jpeg

Reactions: dbr10

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I made toast from frozen bread - usually multigrain - for years. I still ended up with Type 2. Never done the cracker test though and don't plan on doing so at this late date now that I've learned to live without gluten containing grains.

Reactions: Brunneria and dbr10

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've tried all sorts of different n=1 resistant starch experiments, but they all took my blood glucose too high.
So I just don't bother any more.
Nowadays if I want to splurge a little on carbs they are root veg or gluten free and are smothered in butter, cream or meat fat, which lowers and extends the spike better for me than relying on resistant starch ever did.

Of course, combining fats and carbs is bad for overall health in the long run, and bad for the waistline in the short run. So I save it for special occasions.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure how deeply Dr Unwin is with LC diets. In the past he has introduced them gently into his practice and patients, but IMO would not consider keto diets for example. I think his work with PHC and Diabetes Community (this site) has helped him and in this prog he seemed to be more supportive than in the past. I think he is still going softly softly catchee monkey. I was pleasantly surprised by his responses tonight. Don't forget that as an active GP he still has to toe the official line as laid down by NICE, but that advice did become more patient centred this last year so gives a bit of leeway to ease up on the diet. He used such loophole to allow his work in the practice where he started a trial to show that diet can be used as a tool, but it was quite low key. He did get an award as an NHS innovator which was proper recognition for this work @bulkbiker will know more about this than I do.
He's quite into them.. he calls bananas sticks of sugar and vehemently expresses his hatred of them. I'm not sure he fully espouses keto yet but is doing a load of work with Arjun from this site on getting the message out there, which is the most important thing. I think the award was probably more about saving the money but again that is simply another avenue to get the word out. surgeries can save money using dietary treatments.. I'm just pleased he is there getting the word out plus you couldn't meet a more charming guy and Dr Jen Unwin is awesome as well.
Edit to add re towing the NICE lines he uses the loophole of the "individualised treatment plans" to get round those and is quite open about doing so.. His teaspoons of sugar per food type (which I think he came up with on his own) is pure genius when trying to explain carb content and is a major tool for opening peoples eyes to what they are eating.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He's quite into them.. he calls bananas sticks of sugar and vehemently expresses his hatred of them. I'm not sure he fully espouses keto yet but is doing a load of work with Arjun from this site on getting the message out there, which is the most important thing. I think the award was probably more about saving the money but again that is simply another avenue to get the word out. surgeries can save money using dietary treatments.. I'm just pleased he is there getting the word out plus you couldn't meet a more charming guy and Dr Jen Unwin is awesome as well.
Edit to add re towing the NICE lines he uses the loophole of the "individualised treatment plans" to get round those and is quite open about doing so.. His teaspoons of sugar per food type (which I think he came up with on his own) is pure genius when trying to explain carb content and is a major tool for opening peoples eyes to what they are eating.

From what I can recall, Dr Unwin (known as Southportgp here on this forum) actually tried out his sugar in carbs ideas here. He started a thread showing images of different foods and their sugar content. I think it was piles of sugar cubes back then, rather than teaspoons of sugar. He even asked for feedback and adjusted his information after collective member input.

A lovely, helpful, positive member.

I have just had a look for both his profile and his list of threads, but came up empty. So he may have deleted his profile for professional reasons, or the thread may have been lost in one of the site upgrades, but I am sure I won't be the only one to remember it. I believe @DCUKMod contributed to the sugar cube thread too.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Watching now.
I liked the explanation of how reheating carbs which have fat attached can increase good bacteria (resistant starch).
I love my reheated buttered mash potato on a Sunday.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, and he still uses the sugar cube way these days, as he believes people find that easier to grasp, "from cold".

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sugary energy drinks as mouthwash to lose weight.
I'm changing my mouthwash. Although my dentist will love that.... NOT.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I can recall, Dr Unwin (known as Southportgp here on this forum) actually tried out his sugar in carbs ideas here. He started a thread showing images of different foods and their sugar content. I think it was piles of sugar cubes back then, rather than teaspoons of sugar. He even asked for feedback and adjusted his information after collective member input.

A lovely, helpful, positive member.

I have just had a look for both his profile and his list of threads, but came up empty. So he may have deleted his profile for professional reasons, or the thread may have been lost in one of the site upgrades, but I am sure I won't be the only one to remember it. I believe @DCUKMod contributed to the sugar cube thread too.
He is still here as @Southport GP but I don't have time to search for the thread you mention.