1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

"The Truth About Carbs"?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Soapbox - Have Your Say' started by Indy51, Jun 3, 2018.

1. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

For us we need to avoid anything that breaks down into glucose, but most people without type2 just need to reduce the peak glucose hit, hence spreading it out does the job for them. I will not be starting on the frozen bread....

I also don't like the wholemeal breads they talked about, as most bread that is sold as wholemeal is mostly wight floor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I was thinking more "The Truth About Fasts" that would really set the cat amongst the pigeons...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Although I think in fact they specifically said wholegrain and not wholemeal... I hope quite deliberately but they didn't really emphasise the difference enough. or did I mishear?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

No, they didn't, but did say breads like Rye and sourdough.
    I can't convince Mr. Blue about brown bread being the same as white and not the same as wholegrain.

• Like Like x 3
  5. pdmjoker

pdmjoker Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I thought the vital info was introduced gently to not make too many waves, but the controversy about healthy fat eg dairy was ignored/avoided. It was far better than I feared, and likely has done some real good!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

How I agree! As a long time chrionic migraine sufferer with a number of food triggers I pretty soon learned in a very agonizing way that I should avoid eating those particular foods. This "aversion therapy" has stood me in good stead since I've been diagnosed as T2 and has made eating low carbs a complete no brainer even if I won't get the same immediate and painful feedback from eating too many carbs...

Well we always knew this before some yolkers in recent years declared otherwise, eggxactly the same as has been done with fats... :banghead::banghead:

But we did know about and use it well over a century ago, a ketogenic diet was tried on diabetics by Rollo in the 1790s, Banting used a low carb diet for weight loss in the 19th century, and it was used for T1 diabetics pre insulin, and as further "proof" there's a copy of a low carb cookery book from the early 1900s available on the web. So why all this has been completely ignored has always been beyong my comprehension!

Robbity
    PS And to cap it all, I'm shouting myself into a real diabetic tantrum - not at the TV but at the blasted BBC website - I missed the program for reasons I'll not go into here for fear of further ranting - and iPlayer is playing silly b*****s (self censored) with me and refusing work...:mad:

• Hug Hug x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. eggs11

eggs11 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I enjoyed this overall but disagreed with the bit at the end about wholegrain bread - 99% of bread consumed by me for years was wholemeal/wholegrain and I still think it contributed to a large part of the carbs I consumed.

I found it fascinating on further research after the programme about Xand's own weight troubles when he said he used to be 19 stone - turns out he was prediabetic then and then lost weight eating one meal a day and is a fan of fasting! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...s-just-selection-recipes-Definitive-Diet.html

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Oh dear.
    I managed to read this as ‘the truth about farts’.

Must be time i logged off. Haha!

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tizdebz

Tizdebz · Newbie

The best piece of advice I’ve been given so far (fairly recently diagnosed) is not to double up carbs. I asked what that meant and the answer was, if I have toast for breakfast then don’t have a sandwich for lunch. It certainly helped me start to make sense if it all. I enjoyed the program but think some long term diagnosed might have found it a bit patronising.

10. rab5

rab5 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

He also believes in CICO. If I read that link correctly

11. eggs11

I actually wonder how much he believes it and how much he uses it, as I suspect Michael Mosley may do, as a way of getting people to buy into the diet more as it's such a well-known method. Or because it's an easy way to put a limit on how much people are consuming each day.

He mentions following Dr David Ludwig's work - but Dr Ludwig hates CICO, so I wonder if he's being a bit disingenuous when he talks about calories.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. rab5

He believes it. He mentions it more than once!

13. SockFiddler

SockFiddler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'd literally just been on the phone to my best friend, gleefully pronouncing that I beat T2D in less than a year and telling him that there was a program about carbs on shortly (my friends are fascinated / bewildered but supportive as they've seen the huge improvement to my health).

Naturally, I felt my thunder had been somewhat stolen when that fellow at the end put himself into remission after just two weeks!

"I get it now," said by BF in text, "But the bit about Jaffa Cakes went too far."

"Ah-ha!" replied I, "You just don't eat the cakey bit that's left over after you've peeled off the orange jelly and sucked the chocolate off that. No-one really likes the cakey bit anyway."

"Life hacks," replied he, "Mind = blown".

Was a bit disappointed that no-one pointed out that if you're low carbing, you don't also have to low fat, and that's how those people stopped being hungry all the time and started enjoying their food again: it all actually tasted of something!

Will be making my 12-y-o watch it over the weekend. On his current diet (not entirely his fault) I'll be surprised if he gets to 18 without a T2D diagnosis. Time to make some changes - and this documentary can lay it all out far more clearly than I ever could.

• Like Like x 1
  14. eggs11

If he really does believe it he has completely missed the point of why fasting worked for him. Hey ho.

• Like Like x 2
  15. rab5

Yeh he hasn’t joined the dots.

He is selling a book of course. But I wonder how many people will do OMAD but not being fat adapted will have a horrendous time with hunger pangs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

I did low carb, low fat and Halloween jellies knocked me out of ketosis. I was burning body fat and no food fat first.
    I wasn't hungry as protein stops hunger too.

17. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

Just found this:

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. rab5

OK whats a halloween jelly?

19. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

Jelly bat's, snakes and blood shot eyes. All jelly sweets. From trick or treat with kids.

• Like Like x 1
  20. There is no Spoon

There is no Spoon I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

So it looks like I'm going to be that guy again.

A couple of things:bookworm:
    • He used to be diabetic.
    • Pre-diabetic now.
    • Pre-pre-diabetic.
    • 2 week HbA1c tests?
    • LC but no mention of HF
    (although healthy fat it was just slightly hinted at with the nut base for the lime pie)

Over all I have like both programs, neither is perfect. ;)
    :bag:

• Useful Useful x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook