Diabetics R Us

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think you ha

People do say that in marriages arguments can often be healthy. I think maybe it might be better to see some of those naughty jokes about people with T2 as a sign of fondness for you, rather than anything else.

But some of naughty jokes I've seen didn't sound like a sign of fondness ....

Reactions: Antje77

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
People do say that in marriages arguments can often be healthy. I think maybe it might be better to see some of those naughty jokes about people with T2 as a sign of fondness for you, rather than anything else.
Its really nice of you to say so. I don't take any of that personally, but rather feel that they tend to spoil an otherwise friendly athmosphere. By the way, My husband and I never argue ;)

Reactions: Alison54321

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just thought of another reason why I liked the dedicated type 2 chat thread - it means I can relax and not have to cross check what type of diabetic someone is, or inadvertently say the wrong type of thing, which happens in other threads.
Yes I agree with that, but if it's just a chat, have some fun and banter and talk about life in general, then we don't need the divide.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree with that, but of it's just a chat, have some fun and banter and talk about life in general, then we don't need the divide.
I do see where you are coming from. I also recognise that the type 2 thread was started after the type 1 went up, so perhaps it was a response to that?

I suppose I just want a thread to take the p*ss out of type 2 life and the issues specific to type 2's perhaps? I am making the bid assumption that that may have been the motive for the type 1 thread being started? I dont know.

I think I will stick to the informative threads, this trying to chat stuff is a minefield.

Reactions: SueJB and Jenny15

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But some of naughty jokes I've seen didn't sound like a sign of fondness ....

I don't believe the intention of any of those jokes was to offend. I think it's helpful, where possible, to assume, unless there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that people are not intending to offend.

People may accidentally do it, but I very much doubt they did it intentionally.

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its really nice of you to say so. I don't take any of that personally, but rather feel that they tend to spoil an otherwise friendly athmosphere. By the way, My husband and I never argue ;)

That sound good.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I suggested the T1 thread because a fairly new member wanted to know why not many T1s post. There were already 2 T2 threads which excluded T1s. The division was already there and I thought it would be good if T1s could find the same sort of togetherness that T2s have on those 2 threads. I thought it would be a good place for newbie T1s to start posting if they didn't want to start their own thread. Of course it's good to unite but we do that on most chat threads anyway.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't believe the intention of any of those jokes was to offend. I think it's helpful, where possible, to assume, unless there is overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that people are not intending to offend.

People may accidentally do it, but I very much doubt they did it intentionally.
Ok ... maybe you are right.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ladies and gents - Would each person posting on this thread, and in general, please be mindful of the content and sentiment.

Tensions seem to be running high at the moment, but making shadowed remarks about other groups of types on other parts of the forum really isn't on.

As Mods we are trying to apply a very light touch, but threads and posts must run within our Ethos and Rules.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi Everyone.

This thread (and two others) were all set up with the intention of people finding comfortable, chatty groups for daily interaction. Places where they can feel at home without worrying about treading on toes.

This won't work if people are just using these threads to vent their resentments and make veiled (or less than veiled) criticisms about other members.

So, if people want these threads to flourish and provide community and friendly chat, then the moderation team is asking everyone to respect the spirit in which they threads were created.

The Forum Rules and Ethos are clear - this is not the place to air disagreements.

Regards,
The whole moderation team

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate the feeling that the separate threads have been created. Isn't the whole idea to be supportive and friendly towards everyone? Do we really need separate threads for T1 and T2? This has really saddened me. So I've created this thread.

"A place for us diabetics to have a chat, post blood glucose numbers if you want to, have some fun and banter and a even have a little whinge."

Thanks for starting this thread, I was thinking of doing something similar as I was getting uneasy.

I'm totally supportive of the idea of people with things in common starting a group, so the separate threads for people with various illnesses didn't bother me at first.

I got the impression that the T1 thread was started as it was felt that there are so few T1s compared to T2s that people wanted to create an obvious place for newcomers with T1 to join and feel welcome.

However I think that in both the T1 and T2 threads, the purpose was lost: a newbie with T1 may have read the T2 thread and felt a bit uneasy, and a newbie with T2 may have read the T1 thread and felt a bit uneasy.

Bearing in mind, as the mods have to, that the newbies may be kids, and desperately looking for help and kindness. This is coming from someone who loves banter by the way. Banter between two people who have a feel for each other's sense of humour is one thing. Banter against people who you haven't even met based on an illness they have, in a place where people come looking for help, is another.

I'd love to see the threads continue, and lots of banter, but right now I'm steering clear of both of them until I feel sure that they are a positive thing.

Reactions: briped and Guzzler

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Just a thought and don't please take me wrong but I have just realised that there is a group missing out in all this the Mods should we start a thread just for them where they could congregate and have friendly banter telling each other to stay on topic or else and all that.

It's alright I know I'm just jealous as I was once nominated for moderator but nobody voted for me boo hoo.

Just to add thank God for that.

Reactions: karen8967 and zand

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for starting this thread, I was thinking of doing something similar as I was getting uneasy.
Thanks for your support, but I'm getting the feeling that this thread has gone down the same route as the others.....

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a thought and don't please take me wrong but I have just realised that there is a group missing out in all this the Mods should we start a thread just for them where they could congregate and have friendly banter telling each other to stay on topic or else and all that.

It's alright I know I'm just jealous as I was once nominated for moderator but nobody voted for me boo hoo.

Just to add thank God for that.
"Mods Я Us" ?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there, I think I'll try this thread :) . I'm still not completely sure what type I am so to be sure as not to offend anyone I think this one is best for me.
So anyone got something better to have fun, banter or whinge about than the other two threads?

Reactions: Jenny15