Type 1'stars R Us

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning all! Good night here, slept through solidly, Woke on a 6.6 :smug: so it looks like splitting my Tresiba dose is working - so much for the magic new insulin lastin 36-42 hours, I was barely getting 20 out of it :banghead: Took a unit and a half of Novorapid to stop it rising, and am still in the high sixes. So have just had another.

Looking forward to my MiaoMiao transmitter arriving, so I can read my BG on my watch...

Cloudy here in South Wales, but quite warm - waiting for a delivery of silver for a commission (I’m a silversmith), so I hope it cools down as my workshed is like an over in hot weather, especially when I get the blowtorches going!

9EF0A7A3-46B7-4086-9DF1-AA85B76BAAE7.jpeg

Alison54321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I woke about 5 am with 9.9, it had started to go up about 4 am, so I corrected. Had breakfast 5 units of novorapid, and 50g carbs, and it just decided to go down after that, last reading was 4.1, so did finger prick test, which was 4.3, good to see the sensor has got super accurate with just 7 days left, it's trolling me.

I now have to get my blood sugar back up to a level where I can go and do what I need to do, without a hypo. It did something similar yesterday. I'm wondering if it's the antibiotics, but I googled, and there is no consensus view on what Flucloxacillon does to blood sugars, I think it depends too much on individual circumstances. It's only a week long course, so I don't want to make any drastic changes. So I'll just ride it out and see where I am at the end.

Usually I use slightly higher blood sugars in the morning, to go and get stuff done, but I can't at the moment, which is quite frustrating.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Morning all! Good night here, slept through solidly, Woke on a 6.6 :smug: so it looks like splitting my Tresiba dose is working - so much for the magic new insulin lastin 36-42 hours, I was barely getting 20 out of it :banghead: Took a unit and a half of Novorapid to stop it rising, and am still in the high sixes. So have just had another.

Looking forward to my MiaoMiao transmitter arriving, so I can read my BG on my watch...

Cloudy here in South Wales, but quite warm - waiting for a delivery of silver for a commission (I’m a silversmith), so I hope it cools down as my workshed is like an over in hot weather, especially when I get the blowtorches going!

WOW @Mel dCP Brilliant line. What is your blue line set too??

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
That's a bit low, no? I feel no different between 5 and 8, but 4 and dropping I start to feel weird. Or perhaps my body composition is a bit different from you witches/terminators? ;)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That's a bit low, no? I feel no different between 5 and 8, but 4 and dropping I start to feel weird. Or perhaps my body composition is a bit different from you witches/terminators? ;)

PWPs (people with pancreases) run between 3.8-6 and I aim for non diabetic levels and have a target of 5mmol. When I get down to 4-4.5 I’ll take a single dextrose tablet to nudge it up a little (typically by 0.6-0.8, depending on time of day); and when I get to 6.5 I’ll have half a unit of Novorapid which will drop me by 1-1.5mmol, again depending on the time of day. The Libre makes this really simple to do, it’ll be even better when the MiaoMiao arrives, because I’ll be able to set alarms for when I hit my usual adjustment values. At the moment I scan regularly, but when I’m absorbed in stuff I tend to forget.

But if you look at my Diasend thingy, I’m above my target a fair bit of the time! I’m working on that, with the newly split dose of Tresiba. I’ve also just been diagnosed with asthma and prescribed a steroid inhaler, so I’m trying to negate the effects of that too. All a work in progress...

Please be reassured that I run it a little higher (5.5-6) when I’m driving/riding. I don’t muck about when it comes to being on the road, especially as I’m quite an “enthusiastic” driver/rider ;) But if I’m pottering about at home (I’m self employed), I run it at non D levels if I can. Still got good hypo awareness, and feel distinctly wobbly at around 3.5 :)

21901E73-C3BC-4E4F-BA30-A6845228C283.jpeg

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are your levels like during the day? Possible your basal needs a slight increase?? What basal are you using?

I drift up throughout the morning (in addition to DP and feet to the floor), then the afternoon is variable, then in the evening I have to be careful, because I suddenly become a bit more insulin sensitive. I'm currently on 18 units of Tresiba, which I had to reduce from 19 because I was dropping over night. The problem, as I see it - although I am a bear of very little brain - is that my insulin requirements vary wildly throughout the day. Betwen about 11pm and 4am I become much more insulin sensitive, and then very resistant from about 4am to 2pm, with a slight rise throughout the afternoon if I eat too early. Evenings are better than mornings. I might try splitting the Tresiba, although I'm not convinced about what that will achieve.

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
PWPs (people with pancreases) run between 3.8-6 and I aim for non diabetic levels and have a target of 5mmol. When I get down to 4-4.5 I’ll take a single dextrose tablet to nudge it up a little (typically by 0.6-0.8, depending on time of day); and when I get to 6.5 I’ll have half a unit of Novorapid which will drop me by 1-1.5mmol, again depending on the time of day. The Libre makes this really simple to do, it’ll be even better when the MiaoMiao arrives, because I’ll be able to set alarms for when I hit my usual adjustment values. At the moment I scan regularly, but when I’m absorbed in stuff I tend to forget.

But if you look at my Diasend thingy, I’m above my target a fair bit of the time! I’m working on that, with the newly split dose of Tresiba. I’ve also just been diagnosed with asthma and prescribed a steroid inhaler, so I’m trying to negate the effects of that too. All a work in progress...

Please be reassured that I run it a little higher (5.5-6) when I’m driving/riding. I don’t muck about when it comes to being on the road, especially as I’m quite an “enthusiastic” driver/rider ;) But if I’m pottering about at home (I’m self employed), I run it at non D levels if I can. Still got good hypo awareness, and feel distinctly wobbly at around 3.5 :)

That looks exceptionally good to me, though as I've said if that was my body those <4 would make me feel a but weird, barely any double digits either by the looks of it. Achieving PWP levels consistently is an unattainable goal as far as I'm concerned, so I just try to stay within levels that make my brain work as it should.
No clue about checking for driving and that whole bit to be perfectly honest, I never bothered getting a license and I live in London so there's no need for a car. I know how to drive though, I'm just not allowed to according to the law. ;)

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I drift up throughout the morning (in addition to DP and feet to the floor), then the afternoon is variable, then in the evening I have to be careful, because I suddenly become a bit more insulin sensitive. I'm currently on 18 units of Tresiba, which I had to reduce from 19 because I was dropping over night. The problem, as I see it - although I am a bear of very little brain - is that my insulin requirements vary wildly throughout the day. Betwen about 11pm and 4am I become much more insulin sensitive, and then very resistant from about 4am to 2pm, with a slight rise throughout the afternoon if I eat too early. Evenings are better than mornings. I might try splitting the Tresiba, although I'm not convinced about what that will achieve.

@Mel dCP is trying splitting her Tresiba at the moment with a fair bit of success. My ratios vary a fair bit during the day as well, can be very difficult to control on times.....especially when diabetes decides it wants to mess with our heads, mine does this a lot lol

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
just had a look at the promotional video for that, it's amazing what they can do with technology now.

i'm thinking of doing a trial with Dexcom as i want lots of data without having to manually scan all the time.

The Libre still takes a reading if you don’t manually scan.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m actually having awful thoughts about giving up porridge as toast gives me such a lower peak as you can see this morning. Porridge would send me up to 13/14. I just bloody love porridge and it keeps me going for hours.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I’m actually having awful thoughts about giving up porridge as toast gives me such a lower peak as you can see this morning. Porridge would send me up to 13/14. I just bloody love porridge and it keeps me going for hours.
Keep the porridge and increase your bolus?? Just a thought

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That looks exceptionally good to me, though as I've said if that was my body those <4 would make me feel a but weird, barely any double digits either by the looks of it. Achieving PWP levels consistently is an unattainable goal as far as I'm concerned, so I just try to stay within levels that make my brain work as it should.
No clue about checking for driving and that whole bit to be perfectly honest, I never bothered getting a license and I live in London so there's no need for a car. I know how to drive though, I'm just not allowed to according to the law. ;)
Thank you :)

Because I eat a ketogenic diet (<30g carbs a day) and am now “fat adapted”, I run on ketones - including my brain. So when I do dip a little low, I can still think perfectly clearly unlike before, when I’d be like a staggering drunk at closing time. Hypos now are just a gentle drift down rather than a sudden drop, because I have so little insulin sloshing around. I don’t often hit double digits, and I’m certain that’s down to the food I eat.

The DVLA rules are “five to drive” on a blood test - they don’t yet accept Libre results, although they have recently recommended that it is ok, we’re just waiting for that to become official. I live in the South Wales valleys and public transport is pretty rubbish, so need my own transport - plus we have some of the best biking roads in the country to go and play on!

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@Mel dCP is trying splitting her Tresiba at the moment with a fair bit of success. My ratios vary a fair bit during the day as well, can be very difficult to control on times.....especially when diabetes decides it wants to mess with our heads, mine does this a lot lol
@EllsKBells I’ve got a fairly similar pattern on a once a day (8am) 17u Tresiba dose. Dawn phenomenon at around 4-6am, insulin resistant until around 2pm and then a slow slide into a hypo early evening if I don’t have a whack of protein for lunch.

I only started splitting it at the weekend (8.5u at 8am and 8pm), but already I’ve seen much less DP, and the late afternoon slump seems better too. Very early days though. I do still take a foot on the floor dose of Novorapid when I wake at 8 to stop it rising, but haven’t had the sudden wake up at around 4am when my life starts dumping cortisol before glucose. A solid night’s sleep seems to reduce insulin resistance for the rest of the day too.