Type 2: What Do You Think About A Real Food Newcastle Diet And Intermittent Fasting Diet?

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
See if you can get hold of The 8 week blood sugar diet. It's an 800 calorie diet based on "real" food

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@AllieRainbow - our colleague @andcol had astonishing results on his journey, which he wrote up. There's a link to,his journey in his profile signature.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/got-my-first-3-month-hba1c-results-this-morning.55719/

He also created quite a comprehensive tracker for himself, which he offered up for others' use:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/writing-bg-management-app.56644/
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-z_UPs-Jl8aMTNrd0pMemd6Q2c&usp=sharing

If you look at Andcol's profile, his signature also contains his continuing HbA1cs

There appear to be many ways to skin this particular cat, provided your body is in a good state to repair itself. Not everyone can manage it for a million reasons, but it's worth a go, provided you don't think things are guaranteed

Thanks @DCUKMod - I have read through the thread, and was particularly interested in how he used targeted exercise to bring his BG down - I am doing that at the moment, exercising after meals and if my BG is climbing, and it seems to be working to bring them down and flatten the line every day on mySugr.

Reactions: ringi

AllieRainbow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am currently reading through the Newcastle Diet research paper, so will be back later after I have done some more reading.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
They are called 'fasting mimicking diets' in the research and always seem to be between 600 and 800 cals. Sorry I'm have not got the reference but I think it was in one of Dr Fung blog posts.

600 seems to be as low as the researchers can go without too much mussel lose, but most of that research was done on lean people.

I doubt it was Dr. Fung who you remembered as blogging about this. He is not enamoured with restricted calories.

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AllieRainbow IF it is of any help I am attaching two files. Carb Diary October was kinda my NEwdcastle diet with no science behind it and drawn from my then limited understanding of what was happening in Newcastle. I also attach Carb Diary 2014 which is a food diary of everything I eat for 2014 Warts and all (Including the Nandos to start the year off). I would in my defense highlight 2014 was a year of cycle training like I had never done before with several hundred miles a week.

I was in reversal during these points in time but then went out to the states and it all went to pot so now I am back and trying to remind myself what I should be eating ;-)

..........OK PM me if you would like it and I'll try to send it to you as the forum perceives I am not worthy :banghead:

Attachments

• Carb Diary 2014.pdf
    1,013.3 KB · Views: 361
  • Carb Diary October.pdf
    105.7 KB · Views: 391
  • Carb Diary October.pdf
    105.7 KB · Views: 395
  • Carb Diary October.pdf
    105.7 KB · Views: 405

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@AllieRainbow IF it is of any help I am attaching two files. Carb Diary October was kinda my NEwdcastle diet with no science behind it and drawn from my then limited understanding of what was happening in Newcastle. I also attach Carb Diary 2014 which is a food diary of everything I eat for 2014 Warts and all (Including the Nandos to start the year off). I would in my defense highlight 2014 was a year of cycle training like I had never done before with several hundred miles a week.

I was in reversal during these points in time but then went out to the states and it all went to pot so now I am back and trying to remind myself what I should be eating ;-)

..........OK PM me if you would like it and I'll try to send it to you as the forum perceives I am not worthy :banghead:

OK maybe I am........

TonyHancock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I followed the Blood Sugar Diet for 8 weeks and lost 15kg. I cut out alcohol completely and also did not have any bread, rice, pasta or potatoes. It wasn't as bad as I thought it might be and it had the desired effect of dropping my BG levels into the "normal" range.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My own HbA1c (73-37 in under 4 months) was just by trimming back on the carbs. I didn't specifically exercise, and certainly didn't go for the stair climbs or treadmill.

We all sort of do our own bit of mix and match I think, but it's important we choose a regime we can stick with. I knew I didn't want to be an enforced gym bunny (but all respect to those who are), as I knew at some point I'd either rebel, or just get plain bored walking to nowhere.

In terms of activity changes, it was mainly parking further from my target - which could be further from the entry/exit of the supermarket, or a couple of streets away when I go shopping. Those extra paces all add up.

https://www2.le.ac.uk/news/blog/201...ted-with-amount-of-fat-around-internal-organs

There is a link to Joe's paper within this article: https://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press...ber/standing-up-helps-prevent-type-2-diabetes

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Having had my fill of shakes and terrible low mood after two weeks with the Newcastle Diet and went back to LCHF, which works very well for me.

What I'm doing these days is having three "fast days" a week where I consume up to 800 calories of REAL LCHF food - eggs, almonds, a sliver of cheese, a tbsp. of cream - and I am losing weight. I'm into my third week and so far I've not eaten more than 500 cals on my fast days. I feel a lot happier doing it this way.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Do your research and try different things until you find something that works for you. Belonging to this forum has taught me that we all make a different journey with diabetes and one size does not fit all. The only thing I am concerned about with the Newcastle style of diet is that it is rather like some other 'fad' diets, they work all the time someone sticks with the diet but the transition to 'normal' eating makes it difficult to keep the weight loss off. In Primary education it is regarded as bad practice to teach one way to do something then to teach a different method at a later stage, yet still to be open to different methods working for different people. Contradictory to some extent, but I find it works for me in terms of diet.
I took the view that the weight took time to go on, to take it off safely would also take time, so I lost weight slowly but steadily. I did not have that much to lose and the adjustment to stop losing weight was small. Other people find that they want a faster fix. Good luck and I hope you find a way that suits you.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
In a way, it's about what you can stand (the most!) and what gives the best defatting the liver/blood glucose regulation results for you personally.

That's my own feeling about the difference between no-food fasting, or intermittent fasting, compared to VLCDs (whether you base it on Taylor or Mosley).

And the only way you can see how you feel and live the best, and what gives your blood glucose regulation system the best push for health - is by trying a bit of both of the methods out. Compare and contrast, and choose! Easier said than done, absolutely. But as someone who has experimented a lot with these regimens, this is the conclusion I came to for myself.

I agree that if treating your diabetes over a significant period of time with diet (and exercise if that is your bag too), you end up doing a mix and match of various treatment methods to find some sort of regimen, or intense treatment that suits you best.

Lucky people who can do any of these treatments and reverse their diabetes pretty pronto smart. Especially pre-diabetes. And find a maintenance way of eating that really works for them. And we see plenty of examples on this forum. But everyone with insulin resistance type two can get better than they were before by using these intense treatment methods using various ways of not eating. It might not be reversal/remission/cure etc, but it will be an improvement. Is my two cents worth.