1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 2: What Do You Think About A Real Food Newcastle Diet And Intermittent Fasting Diet?

Discussion in 'Fasting' started by AllieRainbow, Jun 18, 2018.

1. AllieRainbow

AllieRainbow Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have been having a think about how to tackle visceral fat. I have been looking at the Newcastle Diet, and wondering whether I could do that. My main issue with it is not the calorie restriction, but the idea of shakes, which makes me want to hurl just thinking about them - I like real food!!

I started to also consider the accidental fasting that happened on the second week of my experiment with fasting to target BG in order to get lower BG results, and also lose weight.

Then I started to think about how I could combine the two...a real food Newcastle Diet with Intermittent Fasting.

I have a potential plan which involves:

Monday & Tuesday - fast
    88 cals per day for drinks - 1 x beef oxo with 15ml double cream - total 88 cals/2.6 carbs
    Plenty of water + some salt
    Wednesday through Sunday - feed (1085 cals/day < 20 carbs)
    1 x coffee with 20ml coconut cream - 52 cals/2.0 carbs
    Plenty of water.
    OMAD - LCHF - protein, healthy fats, nuts, veggies + twist of salt - 1033 cals

Total weekly calories: 5601
    Newcastle Diet: 5600

Edited to reflect ND diet of 800 cals per day - 600 cals shakes and 200 cals non-starchy vegetables.

What do you think of this?

2. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

https://www.amazon.co.uk/8-Week-Blo...&sr=8-1&keywords=the+8+weeks+blood+sugar+diet

However I expect that if you continue what you are doing you will get good results, so why change?

I don't think 1085 cals a day is a good option as it may slow down your met rate, as it is not low enough to put your body into fasting mode. Counting cals does not seem to work unless people get down to 800. Hence I expect unlimited very low carb food on none fasting days is best.

If you want to make faster progress take up HITT and/or restanance training.

• Informative Informative x 1
    #2 ringi, Jun 18, 2018 at 10:14 PM
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  3. AllieRainbow

4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

I tried a one meal a day bacon and eggs 800 cal for a week last year I think.. not at home so can’t check. Far better than nasty shakes.. still had enough cals for coffee with cream.
    I’ll look it up when I’m back home on Saturday if you like and send you through the details of what my days looked like.

5. bulkbiker

6. AllieRainbow

Thanks, that would be great.

7. There is no Spoon

There is no Spoon I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Turn your phone of your on holiday. :p
    :bag:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. bulkbiker

iPad and Wi-fi!

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

We don't get a holiday from Diabetes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

It all looks great on paper but sometimes real life gets in the way. I am coming around to the idea that it is good to mix things up a bit but there may be a danger of overcomplicating things to the point that simply enjoying food turns into some sort of laboratory experiment.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. There is no Spoon

There is no Spoon I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

thats what you get when you eat a lot of curries. :D
    :bag:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. AllieRainbow

Have you got a source for the fasting mode comment - that is very interesting and I wondered whether upping the calories on some days would negate the whole thing.

13. AllieRainbow

#13 AllieRainbow, Jun 18, 2018 at 11:18 PM
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  14. ringi

ringi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

They are called 'fasting mimicking diets' in the research and always seem to be between 600 and 800 cals. Sorry I'm have not got the reference but I think it was in one of Dr Fung blog posts.

600 seems to be as low as the researchers can go without too much mussel lose, but most of that research was done on lean people.

15. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Allie if you look at some of the threads on the Newcastle Diet, I'm sure a number of people have done the diet without using shakes.

But you'll probably need to go back to low carb when you've done your ND stint, so is it really worth changing?

Robbity

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Ringi - could you link some studies identifying 800 calls as an important calorie count please?

17. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

@AllieRainbow - our colleague @andcol had astonishing results on his journey, which he wrote up. There's a link to,his journey in his profile signature.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/got-my-first-3-month-hba1c-results-this-morning.55719/

He also created quite a comprehensive tracker for himself, which he offered up for others' use:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/writing-bg-management-app.56644/
    https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B-z_UPs-Jl8aMTNrd0pMemd6Q2c&usp=sharing

If you look at Andcol's profile, his signature also contains his continuing HbA1cs

There appear to be many ways to skin this particular cat, provided your body is in a good state to repair itself. Not everyone can manage it for a million reasons, but it's worth a go, provided you don't think things are guaranteed

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. bulkbiker

I’m not convinced by the whole fibre thing. There are quite a few people who do so well with almost no fibre on zero carb diets me included.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. AllieRainbow

Thanks @Robbity - this is why I have put this thread up - it is good to get a cross section of opinion so I can clarify what I think about this. I am also not convinced it would be a good step by that would depend on potential benefits. I will say that the LCHF diet is how I prefer to eat so I don't think I would have big problems going back to my current way of eating.

My concern at the moment is making sure I don't slip into increasing portion sizes, which has alway been a problem, so a period of tight control might be helpful for that to re-train my concept of a portion size to be a bit smaller.

20. AllieRainbow

@bulkbiker I think it is hard to know what to think about what we should do when so much has been shown to be based on bad science.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook