Dr Bernstein Talking About Why Doctors Tell People With Type1 To Run High

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
@ringi
Ive had diabetes for 2.5 years. Im comming to the conclusion dr bernstein is right in how people are told to run thier diabetes management. I need him for my endo mine says i have to run tighter but i have to be on a high carb diet..... this week im close to bernsteins way now its the stablest for me yet im off the rollercoaster. Highest ive been is 7.5 lowest 4.0 no hypo no hyper so far.

When my honeymoon ended i was using 50u for 180 carbs. now 20 max maybe 20 carbs.

Still not sure its maintainable but so far so good. Im hoping i dont loose very much weight being 70kg 6'3" but the benifits im starting to see.

Wish i had started this a year ago.

Not all people can do this diet tho. Even i see that. (My wife is one of them.:angelic:)

Reactions: porl69 and boboblck

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
I might be wrong but based on what he says about getting sued, this sounds US specific as I've never heard of anyone suing a doctor regarding diabetes care here. I've certainly never been told to maintain a higher blood sugar or to avoid low blood sugar at all costs in either country I've lived in, both being in the EU, for now. If anything they've told me it was a bit high when my HbA1C was in the high 50s to 60s which isn't even that high considering how I at the time didn't give a toss about my diet or exercising or any of that.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m always told, run your diabetes in the way that is suitable for you, as you are the one living with it. At the end of the day kudos to all the Bernstein devotees, I have read his book and think his results are amazing. I am relatively low carb, and NEVER eat desserts/sweet stuff that have no nutritional benefits.
However, I still feel that as a type 1 shooting insulin into my system there has to be some pleasures in life as regards eating. So I cannot give up fruit. Yes I eat lots of green veg and fish and meat. But I still believe fruit gives us more than just sugar, and why if we are low and want to nudge things up eat a dextrose/jelly baby instead of a chunk of banana with potassium in it as a benefit.
I have a relative with a serious bowel problem, to get this under control the best thing is white rice, veg and grated apple. Because they are beneficial to the inflamed digestive system.
Just because we are diabetics, we should not lose sight of the fact that there are many diseases out there that we need to protect ourselves from. The low carb restriction movement is in its infancy. I believe there are not enough long term results on this yet and these restrictions that we place on ourselves diet wise may come back to bite us on the b..!

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
I’m always told, run your diabetes in the way that is suitable for you, as you are the one living with it. At the end of the day kudos to all the Bernstein devotees, I have read his book and think his results are amazing. I am relatively low carb, and NEVER eat desserts/sweet stuff that have no nutritional benefits.
However, I still feel that as a type 1 shooting insulin into my system there has to be some pleasures in life as regards eating. So I cannot give up fruit. Yes I eat lots of green veg and fish and meat. But I still believe fruit gives us more than just sugar, and why if we are low and want to nudge things up eat a dextrose/jelly baby instead of a chunk of banana with potassium in it as a benefit.
I have a relative with a serious bowel problem, to get this under control the best thing is white rice, veg and grated apple. Because they are beneficial to the inflamed digestive system.
Just because we are diabetics, we should not lose sight of the fact that there are many diseases out there that we need to protect ourselves from. The low carb restriction movement is in its infancy. I believe there are not enough long term results on this yet and these restrictions that we place on ourselves diet wise may come back to bite us on the b..!
Agreed, live the way you want but with the knowledge and understanding of what and why it happens. Most people would never guess I'm diabetic based on how I eat as I eat basically anything I happen to like or want. I'll be enjoying a tub of ice cream later while watching the draft, which I would do whether I was diabetic or not.
Fruit does indeed have tons of benefits that shouldn't be ignored, I don't understand why people would stop eating fruit just because they contain sugar when all you need to do is go for a walk or something, or bolus a bit for it.

Reactions: kev-w and becca59

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my type 1 friend is so scared of hypos she runs at around 9-10 minimum all the time, except when she has been drinking, when she has lows. She has a lot of complications now, but says her consultant is fine with her running those figures. She has been type 1 for over 40 years.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

The problem running low on fuel (food) and a hypo that has already happened, can make dsn's and hospital consultants worry, probably more than they should about going into a diabetic coma and the possible loss of life, which I hope is rare ( I had a hypo at my hospital appointment and they were running around like it was the end of the world) I can catch hypo's, but in the past I haven't and have ended up in hospital ( first one was when I had my new baby and I went into a diabetic coma during the night, baby was crying for a feed, from me, and I didn't wake up, luckily my then partner was with me and alerted the paramedics) Life is a hard slog at times, but I watch what I eat and I try to do my best all the time, but it sometimes doesn't happen. I want to live, not just exist, it's 29 years now and the big 30 next year and hope to reach another decade or two after that.:)

Last edited:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd never heard of Bernstein until I came on here, then someone posted that the good dr reckoned Lantus caused cancer, and at that point I started nodding and smiling when I see him referenced.

I've heard running higher is preferable as you're less likely to hypo, but never understood the thinking behind that with the availability of test strips, but as said above, kudos to those that follow this kind of thing, not for me but each to their own :)

Reactions: therower

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Because there is increasing concern re the affect of low blood sugars on the heart.
My a1c was 45 or 6.3% last time I went. They said it’s too low. They said they want it in the 50s. They made noises about being worried about the dvla if it dropped any lower. I’m not even having hypos. I wear a libre 24/7 and head any hypos off at about 4.5mmol if not before.
They actually don’t care about higher blood sugars so much these days.

Reactions: dbr10
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'd never heard of Bernstein until I came on here, then someone posted that the good dr reckoned Lantus caused cancer, and at that point I started nodding and smiling when I see him referenced.

I've heard running higher is preferable as you're less likely to hypo, but never understood the thinking behind that with the availability of test strips, but as said above, kudos to those that follow this kind of thing, not for me but each to their own :)

I didn't know Bernstein said, quote :- 'good dr reckoned Lantus caused cancer,' :wideyed::wideyed:

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't know Bernstein said, quote :- 'good dr reckoned Lantus caused cancer,' :wideyed::wideyed:

e8df218541c363342145c4683f5a8a1f.jpg

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
ExtremelyW0rried said:
Because there is increasing concern re the affect of low blood sugars on the heart.
That's really interesting. Do you have any references? (I'm off to google.;)).

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That's really interesting. Do you have any references? (I'm off to google.;)).

**** I used the wrong effect. I hate when people do that!
The *effect* of low blood sugars.
I believe it can cause irregular heart rates and possibly long term damage to the heart? My dsn mentioned it when I saw her. She said they don’t like fastings lower than 5.5 because they are worried you’ve been low overnight and it’s reallt bad for your heart to have low blood sugars. I think short low blood sugars that are quickly treated maybe not so much but longer periods of time is apparently not good.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me? No, I doubt I'd see anything of any value to me if he advocates low carb diets and the like, but again that's me, each to their own.

Cobia

Type of diabetes
LADA
Food for thought from my perspective.

Issnt the aim of this forum to run diabetes management more even (less hypoes less hypers) safely?

2/ One thing with Dr Bernstein is he actually lives with T1 same as all of us.
All the diabetes experts i see are not.

This part is my burden alone no one really can give me any help.

Ground work in a nut shell.

With being diagnosed with both the sca-6 gene and T1. The T1 is interacting with the sca-6 which is making things happen a lot faster than they should have with a bonus i start shaking at high glucose levels..
Whether i had diabetes or not i am still destined for a wheel chair and im trying everthing to stop it even keytones now.

With a heavy vechice licence under threat and according the the diabetes experts a hba1c of below 7% and 1-2% low is good numbers....

Im looking for 0% low now.

I have nothing to loose by getting the libre sensor to stay between 8 and 4. When they do take that licence off me im thinking about throwing the car licence at them with.....

Either way im running out of ideas they are not.

My aim is change the fuel of the brain to see if that helps.
Im here with a bit of luck to do it safely not worry about what the dsn or endo has to say. When i see them it will be all about numbers....

Some times I think i should just give up and accept what is comming.