Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Anyone who loses weight will lower their metabolism and yes part of that would be due to loss of lean muscle. Anyone crtiquing this approach should be aware that it seems to have an 86% success rate after 1 year of reversal in the big DIRECT study done in Newcastle and Glasgow. The post diet re education of eating habits was the bit they did n ot show on this TV programme. Lots of ways to skin a cat etc. but this was the most telegenic one with its quick results and starvation drama, which does not mean the other options (bariatric surgery, low carbing are not much more viable options for some).

I think that would be 86% of the 48% that met end protocol.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
What we don't know is how much better the people who 'failed' did then they would have if they took no action.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What we don't know is how much better the people who 'failed' did then they would have if they took no action.
I’m guessing as their HbA1c was still over 48 they still had Type 2 but until the full results are published... if ever... I guess we won’t know.. I think they may not have been great hence the lack of publicity..

GatoMessi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I am new to this forum, but I have been diagnosed as Type 2 since June 9th last year. Anyway I've joined this forum after watching 2 of Fast To Fix TV program, and check out what kind of shakes it were, So, thankfully, I have found it via here (Enchant)

I will consider using this 800 calories special, but I am not sure if I can do it 4 times a day. How about 2 normal meal per day plus 1 shake to start of with, then 1 meal and 2-3 shakes per day. Will this work?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I am new to this forum, but I have been diagnosed as Type 2 since June 9th last year. Anyway I've joined this forum after watching 2 of Fast To Fix TV program, and check out what kind of shakes it were, So, thankfully, I have found it via here (Enchant)

I will consider using this 800 calories special, but I am not sure if I can do it 4 times a day. How about 2 normal meal per day plus 1 shake to start of with, then 1 meal and 2-3 shakes per day. Will this work?
The theory is based on 800 cals per day - There are many ways to make up 800 cals some people will find shakes easier, others will find 1 big meal better, or a combination. The blood sugar diet is also based on 800 cals but real food rather than shakes
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B016USSX5O/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1 some people will mix recipes from the blood sugar diet with shakes to make up 800 cals daily total

Reactions: Prem51

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m guessing as their HbA1c was still over 48 they still had Type 2 but until the full results are published... if ever... I guess we won’t know.. I think they may not have been great hence the lack of publicity..
Or they might have gone from say 90 to 50 or 50 to 90 (or any other variation we can guess at depending on our personal biases) instead of no change from taking no action

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or they might have gone from say 90 to 50 or 50 to 90 (or any other variation we can guess at depending on our personal biases) instead of no change from taking no action
I think if all those who had “failed “ to reverse had gone from 90 to 50 we would have heard about it.. I would guess that maybe the rest couldn’t stick to starving themselves for 8 weeks.....

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

The people who signed up surely were disposed to being proactive? To clarify, people who take no action wouldn't have even signed up in the first place?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The people who signed up surely were disposed to being proactive? To clarify, people who take no action wouldn't have even signed up in the first place?
Not necessarily - most research has high drop out rates - first flush of enthusiasm and all that

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not necessarily - most research has high drop out rates - first flush of enthusiasm and all that

Now, the figures for that would make interesting viewing.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Jill74

So , at the end of the experiment, did they repeat the all important test of everyone sitting down to a big fry up to see whether the newly reversed diabetics faired as well as the presenters?
In an follow up, did they assess how difficult it was for the previously overweight participants to maintain their ideal weight - compared with, say, the presenters?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
So , at the end of the experiment, did they repeat the all important test of everyone sitting down to a big fry up to see whether the newly reversed diabetics faired as well as the presenters?
In an follow up, did they assess how difficult it was for the previously overweight participants to maintain their ideal weight - compared with, say, the presenters?

Good question. When terms like 'Diabetes free' and 'Diabetes gone' are bandied about it makes you wonder doesn't it?

Welcome to the forum.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it is often the simplest, or the most effective in terms of good outcome treatment that is offered first.

Looking a NICE and commissioning groups minutes etc I'd say it is the cheapest option that is offered first.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It seems I am alone in this, as everyone is damning both the tv program and the replacement meals, but I found the program really interesting. I have been struggling with the low carb diet for the past couple of years, minimal weight loss and no change to my blood sugar. I’m fed up with spending hours in the kitchen trying to make lettuce leaves more tasty and appetising. I am fed up with throwing food away, as, when following diet plans, they only seem to use a small part of the ingredients. I am fed up with stuffing handfuls of tablets from the health shop to make sure I get all the required nutrients.

So I thought I would give it a go. I bought 2 x 2 week mixed packs (so we could see what we liked) for me and my hubby, for £60. Try feeding 2 people on food for thirty quid a week.

We are at the end of week 1. Everything we have eaten/drunk so far has been very tasty. If I have one complaint, some of it is a bit sweet, so I will be doing my own selecting next time, and get more of the sugar free items.

Of course there is no substitute for proper food, and I doubt I will still be doing this in a couple of months -but for a quick fix, getting our weight down and then helping to maintain it by moving onto a 5:2 , I think it’s great. Our cupboards and fridge are completely empty, so no temptation there. In a week we have both lost half a stone, ‘meals’ take minutes to prepare, no extra nutrients needed, no washing up. What’s not to like? (Of course, I may change my mind after my next HBA1c test, but I thought it was worth a go)

Reactions: Prem51

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It seems I am alone in this, as everyone is damning both the tv program and the replacement meals, but I found the program really interesting. I have been struggling with the low carb diet for the past couple of years, minimal weight loss and no change to my blood sugar. I’m fed up with spending hours in the kitchen trying to make lettuce leaves more tasty and appetising. I am fed up with throwing food away, as, when following diet plans, they only seem to use a small part of the ingredients. I am fed up with stuffing handfuls of tablets from the health shop to make sure I get all the required nutrients.

So I thought I would give it a go. I bought 2 x 2 week mixed packs (so we could see what we liked) for me and my hubby, for £60. Try feeding 2 people on food for thirty quid a week.

We are at the end of week 1. Everything we have eaten/drunk so far has been very tasty. If I have one complaint, some of it is a bit sweet, so I will be doing my own selecting next time, and get more of the sugar free items.

Of course there is no substitute for proper food, and I doubt I will still be doing this in a couple of months -but for a quick fix, getting our weight down and then helping to maintain it by moving onto a 5:2 , I think it’s great. Our cupboards and fridge are completely empty, so no temptation there. In a week we have both lost half a stone, ‘meals’ take minutes to prepare, no extra nutrients needed, no washing up. What’s not to like? (Of course, I may change my mind after my next HBA1c test, but I thought it was worth a go)

Good luck, let us know how it pans out for you. And you are right, if one approach proves unsatisfactory then why not try a different approach? You may find it interesting to read the 'Low Calorie Diets' section of the forum where others who have tried the shakes approach discuss the pros and cons.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

in your other post, you said you lost 3 stones on low carbing, so hardly minimal.