Diabetes4ward Following On From Diabetes2gether.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tomorrow I have my Diabetes education session annual update, in my area it has the catchy title Diabetes4ward, after my introductory session on diagnosis called Diabetes2gether last May. I’m curious to know if they have updated their thoughts and recommendations on low carb diets especially with all the recent publicity and the Qismet approval for Drs to prescribed the Low Carb Plan here. I’m hoping to be braver than last year when I was very newly diagnosed and hadn’t been low carbing for very long. I’ll try to spread the word for low carbing, but it’ll be tricky to contradict the professionals if they are old school, eatwell plate types. I hope if the course leaders aren’t for low carbing I can at least sow the seeds in some people’s minds to research it for themselves.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Tomorrow I have my Diabetes education session annual update, in my area it has the catchy title Diabetes4ward, after my introductory session on diagnosis called Diabetes2gether last May. I’m curious to know if they have updated their thoughts and recommendations on low carb diets especially with all the recent publicity and the Qismet approval for Drs to prescribed the Low Carb Plan here. I’m hoping to be braver than last year when I was very newly diagnosed and hadn’t been low carbing for very long. I’ll try to spread the word for low carbing, but it’ll be tricky to contradict the professionals if they are old school, eatwell plate types. I hope if the course leaders aren’t for low carbing I can at least sow the seeds in some people’s minds to research it for themselves.

Good lass. Best foot forward!

Reactions: jayney27

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck in the morning hoping you may be pleasantly surprised! Just simply sharing even snippets of your success and improvements should surely be inspirational to others both participants and staff alike. Be aware they may not recognise you a year later! An old friend walked right past me this afternoon she just didn’t recognise me - we get used to how we look!

Reactions: jayney27

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am sure you will find an opportunity to explain what you have achieved and more importantly how. As we all know from our conversations here there isn’t a magical formula, we are all different and adapt the principles of LCHF to suit our needs but we are all proof that it works and for some of us we gain much more than just the reduction in BS levels, we see lovely weight losses, improved health and feelings of well being, higher energy levels, better sleep, and skin. My advice would be speak to anyone who wants to listen, even if you only get through to one person you will have hopefully given them a potential lifeline.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck in the morning hoping you may be pleasantly surprised! Just simply sharing even snippets of your success and improvements should surely be inspirational to others both participants and staff alike. Be aware they may not recognise you a year later! An old friend walked right past me this afternoon she just didn’t recognise me - we get used to how we look!

I don’t think I’ve changed much but we live with ourselves, obviously so don’t notice so much do we. I am going to a reunion for the hospital ward where I used to work soon, so haven’t seen most of the colleagues from there since I was big, so that’ll be interesting.

Last edited:

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t think I’ve changed much but we live with ourselves, obviously so don’t notice so much do we. I am going to a reunion for the hospital ward where I used to work, so haven’t seen most of the colleagues from there since I was big, so that’ll be interesting.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by people’s reactions. As you rightly say we don’t see the changes as we see ourselves everyday but someone who hasn’t seen us for a while will definitely being doing a double take. I’ve seen 3 people this week who I haven’t seen for a couple of months and they all mentioned my weight loss.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Good luck, I struggled in my equivalent a couple of weeks ago. It will be interesting to hear your feedback.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck, I struggled in my equivalent a couple of weeks ago. It will be interesting to hear your feedback.

I feel it could get awkward but I’ll try my best. Waiting to see if they serve biscuits half way through like they did last year! :banghead:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe take some printouts of links to the success stories pages here so people can see what us lot get up to when we're breaking all the HCP rules? Then you could hand them out surreptitiously if you don't get a decent hearing.. maybe some of the colesterol threads too in case statins get a mention.. (has anyone else noticed that statins usually gets autocorrected to read stains?)
Yes I'm back from hols and feeling twice as naughty...

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe take some printouts of links to the success stories pages here so people can see what us lot get up to when we're breaking all the HCP rules? Then you could hand them out surreptitiously if you don't get a decent hearing.. maybe some of the colesterol threads too in case statins get a mention.. (has anyone else noticed that statins usually gets autocorrected to read stains?)

Can you come with me please?! ;) I’ll distract the professionals while you hand out the printouts! :joyful::hilarious:

Reactions: flexi06

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Good luck. If you reach one person and make them start to think for themselves then you have succeeded. Make sure to mention that you stayed with Metformin as your choice although you no longer need to take it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck. If you reach one person and make them start to think for themselves then you have succeeded. Make sure to mention that you stayed with Metformin as your choice although you no longer need to take it.
Indeed, although I do want to drop the dose of Metformin at my next review I’m more than happy to stay on it. Wouldn’t it be wonderful if like you say I at least open one person’s eyes.

Reactions: flexi06

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh my word, I just looked back at my calendar, I attended my first session exactly a week after diagnosis, 6 days after starting low carbing, 4 days after I started Metformin and 3 days after I started self testing, so I really was a newbie!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To include links of how to get a free BS monitor!

Reactions: Rachox and flexi06

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck today @Rachox. Hate to mention fruit but dont forget to take your orange box! Hop on it at the first opportunity and spread the word!! Looking forward to hearing your feedback. My DESMOND course everyone brought packed lunches. Sandwiches! I was the only one eating a salad! I had discovered this site and was 4 weeks into diagnosis. Many of the people on my course had lived with t2d for several years! And a few were newbies. It will be interesting to see what yours bring for lunch and what they encourage everyone to eat especially as the word is definitely getting out :)

Reactions: Rachox

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you had a fab holiday. Where did you go?
Hi there drove through France to Antibes via Bordeaux (where we used to live) then back home via the Burgundy vineyards. Lots of driving and car started to play up on the the last day so a tad stressy.. but we made it home just.
Thanks for asking

Reactions: Debandez and Rachox

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there drove through France to Antibes via Bordeaux (where we used to live) then back home via the Burgundy vineyards. Lots of driving and car started to play up on the the last day so a tad stressy.. but we made it home just.
Thanks for asking
That's my favourite kind of holiday! It sounds perfect. And you used to live there! How wonderful. Glad you enjoyed it and made it back.. with your car!!! We have driven around France all our married life. Latterly Italy. Our plan is to buy a motorhome in a couple of years and do Europe in general.

Reactions: bulkbiker