Public Health England is reviewing the dietary advice conveyed in the "eatwell plate" -

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think it's very helpful when the PHE's spokesperson, Prof Louis Levy, refers to our evidence as "noise." In effect it shuts the door on constructive discussion.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think he's fairly closed minded on the subject anyway especially after his statement that we need carbs for the brain to function on glucose... oh dear and he's a professor of nutrition...

Reactions: donnellysdogs

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
I'm not sure being keto bears any relevance to coming 1st and 2 nd in the Tour de France. Other factors maybe more significant.
That was pretty much what I was getting at with my chicken nuggets comment. Diet is just one(albeit big) part of it all, not to mention different sports require different things in terms of how your body should be trained etc.

lindisfel

Expert
I'm not sure being keto bears any relevance to coming 1st and 2 nd in the Tour de France. Other factors maybe more significant.
You miss the point.
No of course not, but according to the Professor their brains couldn't work if they were not running on carbs.

I'm told the brain works just as well on ketones, so the Professor was either ignorant or spinning his line!
I guess you know long distance athletes in keto don't get the bonk!
D.

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You don't mean.... :nailbiting: Triamcinolone acetonide?!?! ;)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is that in the package that gets delivered special delivery to the starting grid straight from your team doctor?
Hmmmmm????????? That, blood transfusions and Lance Armstrong don't paint a very good image of cyclists at the T de F.
I'm sure they are great athletes and specific diets help immensely, sadly it's all the " other " stuff that often determines the outcome.;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmmmm????????? That, blood transfusions and Lance Armstrong don't paint a very good image of cyclists at the T de F.
I'm sure they are great athletes and specific diets help immensely, sadly it's all the " other " stuff that often determines the outcome.;)

Lets not forget insulin use in non D bodybuilding too! :stop:o_O
But we digress.. :)

I heard the radio program quite by chance this afternoon... BBC doing what it can do. a fair balance. I felt it helped T2's struggling with the Eatwell advice & pointed to an alternative.. Every little helps!

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, @Bluetit1802, for bringing this to our attention. I've just listened to this on iPlayer and found it very interesting. I have to say, I agree with the comments already made. I would like to think this will help to create awareness to both the medical profession and the general public ;)

Reactions: Prem51

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think he's fairly closed minded on the subject anyway especially after his statement that we need carbs for the brain to function on glucose... oh dear and he's a professor of nutrition...
Grandson is a body builder on a keto diet and extremely low carb at that and as to brain functioning properly without carbs he has been accepted by Lincoln University to do an economics degree so I think the profesor is in error.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
For anyone who missed it the R4 Food Programme on The Eatwell Guide is being repeated this afternoon on Radio 4 at 3.30 pm.

Reactions: briped

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, @Bluetit1802, for bringing this to our attention. I've just listened to this on iPlayer and found it very interesting. I have to say, I agree with the comments already made. I would like to think this will help to create awareness to both the medical profession and the general public ;)

It wasn't me that brought the BBC Radio 4 programme on the Eatwell Plate to everyone's attention. It was @Prem51 . My original post is over 3 years old!!!

Reactions: Prem51

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It wasn't me that brought the BBC Radio 4 programme on the Eatwell Plate to everyone's attention. It was @Prem51 . My original post is over 3 years old!!!
And not a whole lot has changed on the guide in the intervening years worse luck!