Three Hours After Eating - Is 6.1 Kind Of High In A Non-diabetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
That’s all really.
They had eaten about 60g of carb previously (this is a toddler though so quite a bit for a toddler?)
Three hours later they were still at 6.
My husband had bought her a big packet of sweets and given them to her without me knowing. I mean who gives a toddler 63g worth of sweets?!

Anyway, I always thought that by 2 hours most people would be back to normal? She also had a big glass of milk as well.

Thanks.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@ExtremelyW0rried I thought you had stopped testing your child ? It's fine to give kids sweets every once in a while but please stop testing and stop worrying about what ifs that haven't materialised, this result is fine.

If and I mean if your child ever did develop type 1 you would know pretty quickly, so let them be kids without instilling your fears on them.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
She’s been unwell this week, very lethargic and not eating anything and extremely tearful all the time so I just wanted to rule it out really.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@ExtremelyW0rried Kids are up and down they get bugs one minute fine the next there is no need to be testing their blood glucose levels, I have asked my daughter in the past if I can test her out of interest and she said no, kids do not want to be tested, if you have health concerns visit your GP.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
She’s been unwell this week, very lethargic and not eating anything and extremely tearful all the time so I just wanted to rule it out really.
Hardly surprising if her mother keeps ticking pins in her...also of course being ill will raise her blood sugars so once again for the sake of your child's sanity please stop it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
In this heat is it surprising that your little one is struggling? Apart from being unwell and being in the grip of toddlerhood. Keep your child hydrated and as cool as comfortably possible. Your child will be picking up on your anxiety and this is not fair.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @ExtremelyW0rried ,

Bearing in mind yer youngling could just have a bit of a summer bug? That figure is good.
Allowing for calibration. Home issue meters on the whole also tend to read aprox 15% higher? (Excuse my maff.)
5.2Mmol.... Quids in! :)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Toddlers tend to have wider ranges of glucose levels than adults.

Honestly, if you really want to test your child's glucose levels, why not buy some urine testing strips? As a T1 mother, I bought a pack of 50 early on in my children's lives and got them to pee on a strip whenever I was worried. I don't think I ever finished the pack and they're now in their twenties and still not T1. :) (Though my son is vegan and gluten intolerant, not a great combo, sigh.) It'll tell you once her sugars go over 10, which they would do if she ever became T1. (Though bear in mind that the odd reading over 10 is normal for toddlers, too.)

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

As have most toddlers I know - it's called "being too hot bothered for owt" - you need to relax and let your little one be who she is, you are going to give her so many hang ups and phobias she's not going to be able to function when she's older.

Keep her hydrated in this heat, make sure she is in the shade at the hottest part of the day- once they get hydrated they tend to refuse to drink (as happened with my friends little girl this week) it doesn't have to be massive glugs of fluid - wet foods like cucumber, tomatoes, most veggies are great to keep them hydrated, ice lollies (make them yourself from watered down juice or sugar free cordial if your worried about sugar content)

A tiny pinch of salt in her drinks will help with any mineral loss that can happen in hot weather.

If you are at all concerned about your child's health you should really consult your GP or health visitor not try to diagnose what you think it might be yourself

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Toddlers tend to have wider ranges of glucose levels than adults.

Honestly, if you really want to test your child's glucose levels, why not buy some urine testing strips? As a T1 mother, I bought a pack of 50 early on in my children's lives and got them to pee on a strip whenever I was worried. I don't think I ever finished the pack and they're now in their twenties and still not T1. :) (Though my son is vegan and gluten intolerant, not a great combo, sigh.) It'll tell you once her sugars go over 10, which they would do if she ever became T1. (Though bear in mind that the odd reading over 10 is normal for toddlers, too.)

Trial net and my endo said otherwise. They said children tend to run in 4s and 5s and in the lower half of that as their system should be super fast in its response.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll admit I've only seen bits and pieces of your posts since you joined the forum because I tend to avoid reading Type 1 threads. What I have seen (and the replies of other posters) leads me to wonder if you don't have deep psychological issues that need addressing.

Have you ever spoken to your GP or DSN about your anxiety surrounding your daughter? Hate to be alarmist, but this is almost sounding like Munchausen's-by-proxy? In any event, you appear to have issues that need addressing. At times I suspect possibly a variation of PTSD following your own diagnosis that you seem to have problems dealing with. You can't keep avoiding dealing with your own issues by projecting them onto your daughter without putting her health and sanity at risk. Please get help.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Trial net and my endo said otherwise. They said children tend to run in 4s and 5s and in the lower half of that as their system should be super fast in its response.
Lets be honest here. Even an adult who just ate 63g of sweets is going to get a raised result for quite a while, as its a lot for a healthy adult pancreas to deal with, let alone a toddler. Please, please use some common sense, and also get the psychological help you said you were going to get months ago.

I am certain that the bit you quoted refers to after a normal meal, appropriate for the size of the child. Not 63g of sweets in one go. And the two big glasses of milk would have added another 25g of carb on top of that.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Do you have any links from "Trial net" regarding this?

I also refer to my earlier post #8. Incase you missed it. (Below.)

If your child is feeling a bit rough & lethargic? There will be less demands for BG, as opposed to the usual run arounds.. ;)

Hi @ExtremelyW0rried ,

Bearing in mind yer youngling could just have a bit of a summer bug? That figure is good.
Allowing for calibration. Home issue meters on the whole also tend to read aprox 15% higher? (Excuse my maff.)
5.2Mmol.... Quids in! :)

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
No it was the trial net nurse I spoke to on the phone.
She said usually they would expect children to run 4s and 5s.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
She has been less active than usual simply because we usually go out all day but we’ve been in the house a lot as it’s just too hot to go out!

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But every child, like every adult will react to whatever they have eaten or drunk differently. We are always pointing out on here that everyone is different. I was diagnosed aged 10. My son is now 26. I have only tested his BS once and that was 6 weeks ago, because he asked me to. He has always been told that if he feels suddenly thirsty all the time and needs to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night that he will need to go to the doctor's. Those should be the sort of warning signs you look out for just in case. My son was thirsty because he had been very busy at work and not drunk enough as a result. You can watch for weight loss, exceptional thirst and too many visits to the bathrom, but you know in this weather we all need to keep cool and drink more anyway.

I am sorry that this anxiety is affecting you so badly. It must be very difficult to deal with.

Reactions: Bingale1

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No it was the trial net nurse I spoke to on the phone.
She said usually they would expect children to run 4s and 5s.

To clarify. Is your child having some sort of T1 prevention consultation with Trial net?

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
To clarify. Is your child having some sort of T1 prevention consultation with Trial net?

No she is too young. They have to be 3. But when she is 3 I will have her antibodies checked.
TrialNet just talked it over with me. They said she may have one or two positive antibodies putting pressure on her pancreas resulting in higher sugars.

ExtremelyW0rried

Type of diabetes
Type 1
But every child, like every adult will react to whatever they have eaten or drunk differently. We are always pointing out on here that everyone is different. I was diagnosed aged 10. My son is now 26. I have only tested his BS once and that was 6 weeks ago, because he asked me to. He has always been told that if he feels suddenly thirsty all the time and needs to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night that he will need to go to the doctor's. Those should be the sort of warning signs you look out for just in case. My son was thirsty because he had been very busy at work and not drunk enough as a result. You can watch for weight loss, exceptional thirst and too many visits to the bathrom, but you know in this weather we all need to keep cool and drink more anyway.

I am sorry that this anxiety is affecting you so badly. It must be very difficult to deal with.

Yes - it’s just that if you look on a lot of threads about prediabetes etc people will say that at 3 hours 6 isn’t normal. Except there isn’t prediabetes for t1, just the slow onset of t1.
It seems to be pretty widely accepted that most people are below 5.5 most of the time and back to that level or lower two hours after eating.

Status
Not open for further replies.