Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I have and that is why I refuse to drink water from the tap. but this is not the place to go into that except to say fluoridated water raises blood sugar levels.

I agree. It's a topic for another time/place. I did Google it, though and I'm glad that its not a 'thing' in my locale.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

lindisfel

Expert
The farmers are digging/boring their own wells round here to cut water bills.
The problem is the sources have out of limits chemistry on some.

We are getting an whole range of undesirable pollutants in the modern world and they are often alledge to be withing limits.

One slug pellet pollutes the water of an Olympic sized swimming in excess of permitted limits, so I am told.
D.

Last edited:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do people who believe in not taking statins also believe in not taking medication for high blood pressure?
I take medication for high BP and hypothyroidism but refuse to take statins due to side effects I suffered whilst taking them.

lindisfel

Expert
Just wondering whether "going it alone" means refusing all medication or just statins warfarin and metformin?
I think it means different things to different people Tannith.
Metformin, if doesn't move your bowels too much, is reckoned to have all sorts of benefits even reversing some damage to one's lungs.
regards
D.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"Going it alone means doing some thing for your self without assistance" in this instance where assistance from professional bodies or organizations is not forthcoming this does not mean refusing meaningful help where it is offered but does require discernment and critical thinking when it comes to deciding what is right for you as an individual.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
To me it means making informed choices. Be that about advice or treatment. This applies to all aspects of daily life, not 'just' health.

Tannith

BANNED
I think it means different things to different people Tannith.
Metformin, if doesn't move your bowels too much, is reckoned to have all sorts of benefits even reversing some damage to one's lungs.
regards
D.
What sort of lung damage does it reverse?

lindisfel

Expert
What sort of lung damage does it reverse?
It's lung fibrosis Tannith, if you Google Metformin and lung fibrosis a recent study in the States comes up, there should be sufficient for you there in the medical magazine.
I had difficulties with a link.
Derek

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
what does 'going it alone' mean to you? it seems to have many definitions.
I agree.
Just realised from another thread. I was going it alone from 1977-2002 but no neuropathy just weight gain. Severe thrush thou. Well I think it's thrush but maybe caused from heat in one of my veins in my internals. Heat which interferes with bacteria, which causes thrush. After taking insulin the heat reduces and does back to normal which helps subside disruption to bacteria. (maybe a form of neuropathy).
Going alone has been OK if I can exercise and eat what brings my weight down. A constant fight.
No different to not going it alone. I still have to fight my weight problem. My bodies natural way is to add, constantly.
I'm looking forward to help with losing weight. I've constantly been doing it alone. No wonder I occasionally give up.
My mother and sisters find it funny to block my efforts and try and show me gluttony is OK and fun. I've known better for decades as when I did live with them it definitely didn't work well for me. It made me ill. They don't get ill, nor are diabetic.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I agree.
Just realised from another thread. I was going it alone from 1977-2002 but no neuropathy just weight gain. Severe thrush thou. Well I think it's thrush but maybe caused from heat in one of my veins in my internals. Heat which interferes with bacteria, which causes thrush. After taking insulin the heat reduces and does back to normal which helps subside disruption to bacteria. (maybe a form of neuropathy).
Going alone has been OK if I can exercise and eat what brings my weight down. A constant fight.
No different to not going it alone. I still have to fight my weight problem. My bodies natural way is to add, constantly.
I'm looking forward to help with losing weight. I've constantly been doing it alone. No wonder I occasionally give up.
My mother and sisters find it funny to block my efforts and try and show me gluttony is OK and fun. I've known better for decades as when I did live with them it definitely didn't work well for me. It made me ill. They don't get ill, nor are diabetic.

Thrush is a fungus not a bacteria.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thrush is a fungus not a bacteria.
true, but good bacteria can keep it in check, so if i take antibiotics or get a bacterial infection, which disturbs the balance of the good bacteria as well as the bad, I can get thrush as there isnt enough good bacteria to deal with it.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just wondering whether "going it alone" means refusing all medication or just statins warfarin and metformin?

When HCPs fail to give any answers to problems, eg how to lose weight then you are forced to go it alone. The ND is a way of going it alone too, my surgery doesn't offer any help with it, so the patient is alone in it, reliant on googling and forums for info. Thank goodness we have that choice nowadays.

Similarly when you are refused antibiotics when you have recurrent chest infection then you look for alternatives. Its sink or swim. Go it alone or not 'go' at all. For me it's a case of doing for myself what the GP can't be bothered to do. I can either suffer or do something about it. It's my health after all.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree.
what do you mean by 'going it alone'?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
true, but good bacteria can keep it in check, so if i take antibiotics or get a bacterial infection, which disturbs the balance of the good bacteria as well as the bad, I can get thrush as there isnt enough good bacteria to deal with it.
This is true. I was pointing out that there is a difference. One can contract a fungal infection without a bacterial imbalance, though. Having contracted Cystitis and Thrush at the same time whilst pregnant I can attest to the problems with the differing treatments for said as I ended up in hospital for ten days whilst medics tried to rid me of what could have proved to be a risk to the pregnancy.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is true. I was pointing out that there is a difference. One can contract a fungal infection without a bacterial imbalance, though. Having contracted Cystitis and Thrush at the same time whilst pregnant I can attest to the problems with the differing treatments for said as I ended up in hospital for ten days whilst medics tried to rid me of what could have proved to be a risk to the pregnancy.
pregnancy lowers our immune system, so your good bacteria to fight the fungus may have been reduced. I am sorry you had to go through that : (

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
pregnancy lowers our immune system, so your good bacteria to fungus may have been reduced. I am sorry you had to go through that : (
He is now chasing 40! All was well in the end but it was close. I was advised to end the pregnancy because medics couldn't find a heart beat. I said no because hubby was away at sea and I wouldn't have made a decision like that off my own bat. He has three children and a Merc, not bad, eh?

lindisfel

Expert
To me it means making informed choices. Be that about advice or treatment. This applies to all aspects of daily life, not 'just' health.
Not much matters more than the health of your family and yourself.
Even having money is poor substitute if one is dying and choosing a new sofa is way down my list of priorities for informed choice.
D.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much matters more than the health of your family and yourself.
Even having money is poor substitute if one is dying and choosing a new sofa is way down my list of priorities for informed choice.
D.

That's why the inverted commas.

Reactions: lucylocket61