Now - Wanna Join A Fast

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I started my fast at 14.00 today. I am going to do a minimum of 2 days or 2 kgs loss (I know 1 kg will be water in my case so want 1 kg in hand to go on holiday with). My weight wants a homestatic level of 84.5 to 85 kg, so I want a buffer.

If you would like to join in feel free. I have plagiarised details from previous fasts for possible participants and safety advice, so some invites are @rab5 @rom35 @ @wiflib @jasmindesylva @david1968@swavbags @Hotpepper20000 @bulkbiker @kamsamji @Happyhomelands@vanillapie @lindijanice @FantomPoet @ianpspurs @Robbity @Goonergal

WARNINGS
If you feel ill or experience significant hunger whilst fasting please eat something. It is meant to make you feel better not worse.
If you are on blood sugar lowering meds please monitor blood glucose very carefully (we don't want to induce any hypos). Keep hydrated and maybe have some extra salt.

There are no specific fasting methods or any minimum time limits so come and go as you wish.

For first timers have a read of this
https://www.dietdoctor.com/longer-fasting-regimens

Contraindications:

http://myfasting.com/indication.htm
(I HAVE REMOVED THE REFERENCES TO TYPE 1 AND TYPE 2 DIABETES as Dr Fung has proven diabetics can fast (as have many as precedents on this site))

Contraindications to the use of medical fasting:

Absolute contraindications:
- Marked a deficit of body weight (more than 15% of the proper values);
- Malignant tumor;
- Active tuberculosis of the lungs and other organs;
- multiple bronchiectasis;
- Systemic blood diseases;
- Thyrotoxicosis ;
- Violations of the heart rate and (or) the conductivity of any genesis;
- state after moved large-focal myocardial infarction;
- impaired cardial function II B - III degree;
- Chronic hepatitis and cirrhosis of the liver;
- Chronic renal and kidney failure of any genesis;
- Trombophlebitis

Relative contraindications:

- Coronary heart disease with rhythm disorders and impaired cardial function above A phase II;
- Expressed hypotension;
- gall-stone disease;
- Urolithiasis;
- ulcer of stomach and duodenum;
- Chronic venous insufficiency;
- Gout;
- condition of fever ;
- Pregnancy and lactation period;
- Children's and old age of patients

Other references:
https://www.fastday.com/fasting/getting-started-fasting/who-should-not-do-intermittent-fasting/

http://www.fastingconnection.com/in...or-beginners/106-contraindications-to-fasting

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Count me in. I started last night. 2 days straight fast, with just tea, coffee, water.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Mbaker

Thanks for the invite, not the right time for me but good luck with the fast.

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
First full day down. FBG at 5.2. Weight loss at about 2 lb. No problems so far.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done guys. unfortunately social calendar doesn't permit me to join in this time....next time for sure although I may try something fat and eggy...

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Stats after 19 hours (as at 09:00 16th July 2018):

Keytones: 0.5
Weight: 84.4 kgs (Tanita and Fitbit). 84.2 kgs Withings / Nokia
Total Fat: Tanita 9.8% Fitbit 11% Nokia 8.3% - 9.3 % Average
Visceral Fat: 5.5% Tanita
Muscle Mass: 72.4 kgs Tanita, 72.6 kgs Nokia
Water: 68% Tanita
BMR: 2178 kcals Tanita
Bone Mass: 3.7 Tanita

FBG: 3.4 @ 07:17 Freestyle Libre (4.9 @ 22:44 previous night).
4.1 @ 08:06 Freestyle Libre (liver dump 0.7 mmol increase)
4.3 @ 08:04 (Accu-Chek Mobile and GlucoZen.auto)

Todays Objectives:
Walk at medium pace (around 120 bpm) - 45 mins @ 11:00 and again in the evening (when family are eating)
2 sets of weights after each walk with 20 second battle ropes finisher if possible
Bonus will be extra evening weights (to try to offset any muscle loss, got to make sure I don't over do it (I know what I am like))
Morning drinks of coffee. Rest of the days drinks: boiled ginger and galangal, herbal teas.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had my weekly food order last night, but I'll join you in a sort of semi-fast today since I haven't had anything since last night at just after 8pm, apart from a mouthful of kefir drink and a teaspon of cocoa flavoured coconut oil early this morning. Otherwise just water and herb tea. I expect to eat again now around 7.30 -8pm.

So stats:
(BG from finger pricks using Libre reader as waiting for replacement for failed to start sensor)
15/7/10 at 20:07 BG 5.4 pre meal
22:28 BG 7.1 post meal
16/7/18 fasting at 05:40 BG 5.6 (pre kefir etc)
ketones - taste but not measured
12:20 BG 6.8 (currently have a rise in levels about midday which decrease around 6-7pm - a regular afternoon "hump"- assuming it's a liver dump since it's not actually food related - data from Libre daily patterns graphs)
BP 138/64 pulse 51
Not weighing as waste of time due to oedema :(
Slightly hungry now since I've posted about food!

ETA this evening after a full 24 hours fast:

15/7/19 at 20.05 BG 5.7 pre meal
22.08 BG 5.3 post meal (in spite of extra strawberries for pudding)
ketones 0.1 from test strip but rarely get a much higher blood tketone reading anyway

BP 124/51 pulse 54

Robbity

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just having a bit of a giggle now as I think we've got a couple of extremes here, an overweight diet controlled old woman who does very little exercise, and a fit younger man who does plenty of what I'd consider "heavy duty" exercise. :p

Robbity

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm just having a bit of a giggle now as I think we've got a couple of extremes here, an overweight diet controlled old woman who does very little exercise, and a fit younger man who does plenty of what I'd consider "heavy duty" exercise. :p

Robbity
Fasting and, sleep and diet though are definitely the most powerful tools (for me anyway). Yesterday I had for breakfast half a plate of grilled smoked herring with 3 scrambled eggs and a whole bowl of mixed nuts with half a tin of coconut milk (huge number of calories and effectively 2 breakfasts). I then had for lunch and dinner a massive amount of fajita seasoned chicken (I guess around 200 grams) with salad, with half a bar of Montezuma dark chocolate bar and the rest of the tin of coconut milk (so I know the nuts and milk alone were over 1000 calories). I only burned by Fitbit just over 3000 calories doing around 60% of my usual cardio (just over 5 miles of walking), and a total of around 15 minutes of resistance exercises (mainly bands) - still lost 15% visceral fat (6.5% to 5.5) and a small amount of overall weight. Fitness I think helps me burn blood sugars quickly on top.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
24 hours of fasting Check - In:
Keytones: 0.5 (happy as in fat burning zone, and I don't know if I use a lot so the spillage (reading amount) may not matter with me.

Blood Glucose: 3.7 FreeStyle Libre, 3.6 Accu-Chek Mobile, 4.0 GlucoZen.auto (I am using the Libre to try to see why my HbA1c is higher than readings suggest, and using multiple meters to the same end).

Feeling: Good, no hunger (but as ever would love to eat loads)

Energy levels: Good

Exercise: Medium walking 51 minutes (110 bpm average fat burning zone)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fasting and, sleep and diet though are definitely the most powerful tools (for me anyway). .... Fitness I think helps me burn blood sugars quickly on top.
It's been diet all the way for me - I had just over three years on metfromin before GP decided that i didn't need it any more - but it made not the slightest difference when I stopped. Biggest help was deciding to ditch long term statins which brought my BG down another point which I'd not been able previously to do with LCHF. but my largest reduction in BG came when I was first diagnosed, didn't have a meter, and just cut right down on sugar then all carbs. Later very low carb/keto using Atkins induction phase as a guide lost me a huge amount of weight in a fairly short time. Everything since then has been a bit of an LCHF balancing act, and I like to believe that the occasional bit of fasting also helps give my liver and pancreas an extra little break if nothing else.

I don't always sleep well now and I think when my glucose levels are lower it also keeps me too alert (or at least awake) and I end up with max 2-3 hours sleep at a time, but idf I'm lucky I'll have a couple of these short sleeps. :banghead: But my worst enemy is health/pain which will sneak up and disrupt everything just when I think I'm on a winning steak...

Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I ended up with a 24 hour fast instead of my expected one meal a day. I'll add the final results to my original post (#11) rather post them separately here. I was a bit hungry during the afternoon, but early evening feeding & entertaining my dogs and then preparing my meal before I finally ate, I wasn't bothered at all by an empty and slightly grumby tum - distractions are quite useful in this respect.

So hopefully a bit of moral support for @Mbaker and @Canvaspic and for me - more or less ending up as I started! :D

Robbity

Reactions: Canvaspic

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have this problem, I think I used carbs as sleep aid for years and now it's camomile tea and a whisky on weekends.
I don't know about carbs as a sleep aid, Alison, but they used me as a zonked out zombie robot slave until I was rescued by a T2 diagnosis and a low carb diet! (But still occasionally a few extra carbs will knock me out!) I spent around 5 years of my retirement in the twilight zone being told it was my weight before this minor dietary miracle. :banghead:

Robbity

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning all. Second full day. FBG of 5.4. Was 4.9 going to bed. Ketone 0.6. Another 2lbs lost to bring my weight to 12 stone 10. No problems beside some hunger. Out and about today. Shall keep it going 2pm then decide to break or not. Have a good one.

Reactions: Goonergal

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It's been diet all the way for me - I had just over three years on metfromin before GP decided that i didn't need it any more - but it made not the slightest difference when I stopped. Biggest help was deciding to ditch long term statins which brought my BG down another point which I'd not been able previously to do with LCHF. but my largest reduction in BG came when I was first diagnosed, didn't have a meter, and just cut right down on sugar then all carbs. Later very low carb/keto using Atkins induction phase as a guide lost me a huge amount of weight in a fairly short time. Everything since then has been a bit of an LCHF balancing act, and I like to believe that the occasional bit of fasting also helps give my liver and pancreas an extra little break if nothing else.

I don't always sleep well now and I think when my glucose levels are lower it also keeps me too alert (or at least awake) and I end up with max 2-3 hours sleep at a time, but idf I'm lucky I'll have a couple of these short sleeps. :banghead: But my worst enemy is health/pain which will sneak up and disrupt everything just when I think I'm on a winning steak...

Robbity
This is why I like these types of threads, sometimes you get a snippet of information that could explain some general population trends; whilst some would rightfully say you are an n of 1, it is interesting that statins raise your blood sugar levels - how many others does this happen in. With my friend who takes steroids for a brain tumour this sends his blood sugars (amongst poor eating) around 25, but a definite correlation between taking either 2 mg or 3 mg.

Reactions: Petaluk

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
41 hours of fasting Check - In (@ 06.55 17th July 2018):
Keytones: 2.0

Blood Glucose: 2.5 FreeStyle Libre, 3.27 FreeStyle Optium Neo, 3.3 Accu-Chek Mobile, 3.0 GlucoZen.auto

Feeling: Good

Energy levels: Good

Exercise: Medium walking 51 minutes (110 bpm average fat burning zone)

Canvaspic

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finished my fast last night at 8pm. 72 hours in total. BG at the end 5.0 . Never really saw low numbers or high ketones. (.3 and .6 ) . Lost 6lbs. But will probably rebound half of that. It was easier than I thought. Will try for 4 days the next time.

ejpk72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
How do you manage to fast with T1, as I’d be worried about the hypos. Do I just reduce insulin by 50% and hope for the best.

I’m Ella and I’m new to the site.

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Mbaker , sorry got back to this thread too late you are looking good and it's great to see the numbers. Am off this afternoon in search of some bones to make some bone broth prior to starting another fast later in the month. I have avoided broth so far but I thought I should at least try it.

What are your plans on refeeding? Fasting I find really easy (it's easy doing nothing ;) ) but I tend to suffer some returning to eating, although Imodium melt tabs seem to be a partial cure for gastric issues.