Will I Ever Like Salad?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don’t often eat traditional lettuce, tomato and cucumber salad, I usually have raw cauliflower and brocolli, sometimes I add a small amount of radish, raw mushroom, sweet pepper or celery.

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hence the confusion we feel and we don’t know who to believe anymore and are thinking of just not bothering and take life as it comes. I also feel there are a lot of scare stories around saying diabetics will get this and that. This is not necessarily true and I have also read somewhere that is just as well not to take the drugs etc as doing nothing about high glucose levels is better than trying to treat it with dangerous drugs that no one really knows the long term results of etc..... nightmare

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
????? That may be good for your sugar levels but in my opinion not much else. Bowel cancer is the first to come to mind.
Speaking as a salad lover - as a race we were eating meat well before we ever invented salads...and that diet hasn't killed us off yet. :banghead:

Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's no need to eat salad if you don't want to. I wish I liked eggs but I just don't :(
Me too - but I tend to hide the eggs I do eat in muffins or cake or mixed with chese and/or cream as a low carb quiche, frittata or whatever...

But again there's NO law that says you have to eat any food you hate (or that disagrees with you) when eating a low carb or ketogenic diet. All you need to do is cut down on the carbs - and apply a little common sense!

Robbity

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Me too - but I tend to hide the eggs I do eat in muffins or cake or mixed with chese and/or cream as a low carb quiche, frittata or whatever...

But again there's NO law that says you have to eat any food you hate (or that disagrees with you) when eating a low carb or ketogenic diet. All you need to do is cut down on the carbs - and apply a little common sense!

Robbity
Yeh that's why I tend to go without eggs altogether. I need them to be well hidden so there's not a lot of point really even making low carb cake etc when I don't want it just so I have eggs in my diet.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hence the confusion we feel and we don’t know who to believe anymore and are thinking of just not bothering and take life as it comes. I also feel there are a lot of scare stories around saying diabetics will get this and that. This is not necessarily true and I have also read somewhere that is just as well not to take the drugs etc as doing nothing about high glucose levels is better than trying to treat it with dangerous drugs that no one really knows the long term results of etc..... nightmare
Unfortunately I don't have Dr Cavan's book so I can't look up page 113 to see if you have possibly misinterpreted it, perhaps you could quote a sentence or two. As far as I know Dr Cavan is an advocate for low carb diets. The long term effects of high blood glucose are well known and not disputed, causing blindness, nerve damage, kidney damage, poor healing leading to amputations etc. All drugs can be harmful if not used correctly but most drugs for diabetics have been used for a long time and the side affects, if any, are well known and can be avoided. There is always a balance between disease and the affects of treatment but in this case it is so heavily weighted in favour of controlling blood glucose that there isn't really a choice.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeh that's why I tend to go without eggs altogether. I need them to be well hidden so there's not a lot of point really even making low carb cake etc when I don't want it just so I have eggs in my diet.
But I like my low carb cakes and muffins and they need eggs to work! :p:D

Robbity

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But I like my low carb cakes and muffins and they need eggs to work! :p:D

Robbity
lol yeh I appreciate that! :D I never was a cake person...and muffins well... just no thanks ...I'll save them for you :). Last time I said that I was accused of being a martyr lol.... so I'll trade you for any low carb crisps you may have no use for ;)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand you can have my recipe but not my actual crisps!
Microwave
silicon mat and/or greaseproof paper
several little flattish piles of grated parmesan
optional topping of milled golden flax seed
blitz till bubbling and lacey
remove and allow to cool a little
stuff you face...

And not a salad or even an egg in sight.

Robbity

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that sounds like a plan! I am still loving cheese so these could be great!

flexi06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How about home made pink slaw, thinly slice red cabbage, white cabbage, red onion, carrot. Mix equal parts (say 1 cup each) of organic apple cider vinegar and white vinegar, 2 tsp salt, ( and any herbs or peppercorns or seasoning you like) put in pan and heat till salt dissolves. Pour over your slaw, cool and refrigerate.

ROSIE1988

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi felxi06. That’s sounds delicious! I will def give that a go this week. Thank you

Gork

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have become very bored with my own cooking. The quality has not changed, I just can't seem to shake the old patterns. I used to date someone with similar problems. When we went out to eat, we would order for each other with no questions asked. It was great, I had food combinations I never had before. I wish there was a restaurant that served without ordering from a menu. A Meal-Of-The-Day would work for me, no choices: The way mom served meals.

It is similar for salads, Given to my own devices, I make the same old salad. I might change dressings. When I go to the grocery store, I buy with good intentions only to have the items rot in the refrigerator.

On the other hand, I enjoy a salad that is made for me, again: no choices on my part.
I believe that my microbiome simply hates me.....

stevetur

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
gameboys,xboxes etc, and the poor sods who use facebook etc instead of having a real life.
Plodding along slowly here . . .

I am still battling with food (living in a caravan for another month) and whenever I look at what others are eating or recipes etc there is always salad

Problem is I have never liked salad

I think lettuce/green leaves taste like grass, I dislike raw tomatoes (remind me of licking stamps) and I don’t like cucumber - I can just about eat a tuna and cucumber sandwich (not that I’m eating them anymore!)

I will eat raw pepper, raw onion and celery

I am happy with cooked veg

Will I ever like salad? Any tips to try and get me to like them? Anyone following a low carb diet without salad?
S.A.L.A.D !!! I thought it meant Sour awful leaves and diarohea> leave it to the bean counters and explosive ******** brigade.

Reactions: ROSIE1988

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am lucky enough to have a little garden. South facing and a real sun trap. I grow tomatoes, not a fruit I normally eat as I find them mind blowingly tasteless. However I grow Sungold, an F1 hybrid that is an orange cherry tomato that is absolutely delicious. This years crop so far is the best ever. Can be grown in grow bags, hydroponics, standard pots as long as there is support for the plants as they grow. Could grow on a balcony if sunny.

Reactions: ROSIE1988

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hate salad, gone off meat, don't especially like veg, even cooked. Tried to low carb off and on for the last 2 - 3 years. Didn't lose weight but did reduce my BS. Amongst other conditions I had a lot of stomach trouble and had to come off all meat, cheese, veg and fruit so was only left with carbs. Never was a sugar eater and never could tolerate artificial sweeteners - they make me really ill. After a few days on carbs (not huge amounts) and fish my gastritis has calmed down considerably. Low carb clearly doesn't work for me - not even in terms of weight loss, and it certainly makes me feel really miserable. I have to say - I am anaemic now, and pretty exhausted. Another effect - carbs make me hungry so I either give in and have more, or I am miserable and watching the clock for the next meal time. Can't win.
I wish someone clever would come up with a diet that would solve the BS issue, the weight issue, the food intolerance issue and the hunger issue. Any chance, do you think?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can't win.
I wish someone clever would come up with a diet that would solve the BS issue, the weight issue, the food intolerance issue and the hunger issue. Any chance, do you think?
No! But it appears that high carb low fat is a possible diet for controlling bg. You do have to choose, though, because HFLC and HCLF may both be OK, but according to Jenny Ruhl HCHF is catastrophic. If you are anaemic, you will have to plan carefully to get enough absorbable iron on a high carb, low veg, no meat diet. I suggest you visit your doctor to get some iron tablets and also perhaps to go onto some diabetes meds. Lots of people here prioritise staying off meds, but to me lowering my bg is far more important.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am lucky enough to have a little garden. South facing and a real sun trap. I grow tomatoes, not a fruit I normally eat as I find them mind blowingly tasteless. However I grow Sungold, an F1 hybrid that is an orange cherry tomato that is absolutely delicious. This years crop so far is the best ever. Can be grown in grow bags, hydroponics, standard pots as long as there is support for the plants as they grow. Could grow on a balcony if sunny.
Sounds idyllic, but I'm wondering if you can keep your bg down while eating tomatoes?

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No! But it appears that high carb low fat is a possible diet for controlling bg. You do have to choose, though, because HFLC and HCLF may both be OK, but according to Jenny Ruhl HCHF is catastrophic. If you are anaemic, you will have to plan carefully to get enough absorbable iron on a high carb, low veg, no meat diet. I suggest you visit your doctor to get some iron tablets and also perhaps to go onto some diabetes meds. Lots of people here prioritise staying off meds, but to me lowering my bg is far more important.

HCLF should be doable. I'm already on insulin (too much for my peace of mind) and Metformin. Metformin has caused problems for my stomach and bowel for years now, but I had to make a choice (ie no metform, high bg v 3 metformin daily and stomach/bowel problems) and opted for what I thought was a safer route of keeping slightly better control over my bg. I don't think the Metformin has caused my gastritis, but possibly Esomeprazole, which I was put on many years ago and which has never been reviewed, might be the cause.
Iron supplements also cause severe stomach problems and last time I was diagnosed with anaemia I had to have iron infused. I'll be asking the Dr about that next week, when I finally get to see her.
Any ideas for a HCLF diet?