Cholesterol Question

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I suppose the surgery could argue that I could get a printout of my results, but I had to make an appointment with the Dr and wait 2 weeks for it. And of course, taking up an appointment.

I see on Amazon you can pay £35 for a private test at a lab. May have to go that route.

Your doing well @shelley262.
Hi @xfieldok why not use Thriva they charge 24 per test but often offer discounts. That covers full lipid and liver function I found it very easy to do I’ve done It twice now and post one day and both times results and a drs report available on line around 3pm the following day after the blood draw so hardly any waiting
https://app.thriva.co
Let me know by pm if you want an introductory code at all I’d need your email to send a link with 50 percent off or you could see if they have an offer for a new customer.
They ask you to do a subscription but you can cancel once you’ve had your first and I brought forward 2nd test so could check progress.

Reactions: Debandez

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Which ratio are you looking at?
Your Trig/ HDL is 0.453 which is stunning..! Dead jealous of that one..
Thank you @bulkbiker id not checked that just the ratio they gave me. Shows that the total is meaningless and if you hadn’t supported me when I had my 13.7 back in May - and all my pressures from my dn about my heart health risk and questions about familial hyper cholesterol I’d now be on statins and the drop would have been credited to the statins! So pleased that took matters into my own hands and did the research with help from you a big thank you

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @xfieldok why not use Thriva they charge 24 per test but often offer discounts. That covers full lipid and liver function I found it very easy to do I’ve done It twice now and post one day and both times results and a drs report available on line around 3pm the following day after the blood draw so hardly any waiting
https://app.thriva.co
Let me know by pm if you want an introductory code at all I’d need your email to send a link with 50 percent off or you could see if they have an offer for a new customer.
They ask you to do a subscription but you can cancel once you’ve had your first and I brought forward 2nd test so could check progress.

There's a general 50% off for new folks at Thriva at present, although don't you also earn a discount if folks link through you?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
even stunninger..!

Does that mean I'm a good clean living girl?

Just as well my GP did well on the "AndBreathe Two-Way Lipids Educational Programme" and gave up trying to offer me statins based on TC. :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a general 50% off for new folks at Thriva at present, although don't you also earn a discount if folks link through you?
Not sure but I think that my code is for all tests including the basic 24 quid one at 50% off think codes ive seen recently only covered the middle and high priced options. But did suggest to @xfieldok that she check out whatever was best value for her if she goes down that route.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Time for me to show off now. My Trigs/HDL ratio is 0.22 (Trigs 0.6. HDL 2.67) Many experts believe this is the important ratio, but when I mentioned it to GP she said "Oh we don't look at the trigs at all. They aren't important". However, my surgery always does the full lipid panel, and the lab works out the TC/HDL and Non-HDL ratios. I calculate my own Trigs/HDL ratio.

The trigs/HDL ratio needs to be under 0.87mmol/l (using UK measurements)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can I show off too? :)

846FBB35-CDD2-4DF4-8261-09C67B70675F.jpeg

Reactions: carol43

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just out of interest, I asked to see my results on line. The answer is NO. The reason? In case we see something that upsets us.

Letter of complaint going with me.
My surgery post results (eventually) and just doesn’t list anything that might upset you. My hb1ac that I had no reason to suspect would be anything other than normal was held back til the dn phoned me to tell me I was diabetic. All other tests done at that time got listed.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, I go for my next test next Friday. I have an idea that someone said they didn't test LDL any more, but at that time I was a bit overwhelmed.

So they are trying to stuff me with statins based on my total cholesterol.
Refuse to consider statins unless they give you the full lipids test otherwise it's medicine by guesswork - not very professional.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
AB611029-1AD4-45B6-81F7-298631B1FE87.jpeg
Now this is something that just goes to show how misleading just looking at total cholesterol is. The left hand pic is my numbers from Sept ‘17 and on the right from Feb this year. My GP was quick to say no improvement in cholesterol :banghead: til I pointed out the breakdown :happy:

Reactions: Guzzler

JoycieW

Ideally you want to raise your HDL above 1.2. I've been following diet doctor.com advice and raised mine from less than 1 to 1.8. Don't fear good fats found in oily fish, chicken skin and olive oil. They will help in combination with low carb.

Reactions: xfieldok

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Phoned the surgery to request the detailed blood test. The receptionist had to ask the duty GP. They just phoned me back. They agreed, just asked me to fast beforehand.

Come to think of it, my last test back in November, I wasn't ask to fast. That was when I was diagnosed. Perhaps that's why there was very little detail.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Phoned the surgery to request the detailed blood test. The receptionist had to ask the duty GP. They just phoned me back. They agreed, just asked me to fast beforehand.

Come to think of it, my last test back in November, I wasn't ask to fast. That was when I was diagnosed. Perhaps that's why there was very little detail.
Great news that will give you the detail you need all my previous tests were standard too they must be cheaper!