Police Cells And No Insulin.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remind me never to get arrested! that was atrocious 'duty of care' - the offending officers should have the book thrown at them. I do hope you are following this up through the proper channels - not just for you but for the next T1D who might not have survived the night like that.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
It makes me wonder what they do if someone is on a pump? They remove things to avoid suicide, but given how short acting insulin works in a pump, it would end up being a mess.

Reactions: dmcx3x

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It makes me wonder what they do if someone is on a pump? They remove things to avoid suicide, but given how short acting insulin works in a pump, it would end up being a mess.
Hopefully if someone's on a pump they'd be able to conceal it? I'd also think that removing it without medical supervision might constitute some kind of assault - am happy to be corrected on that. @dmcx3x do let us know how you get on, this is truly truly shocking. Regardless of why anyone is in police custody, witholding insulin runs counter to the codes of all the organisations concerned eg the police, the BMA, the Home Office. It's the duty of the custody officer to ensure that conditions such as diabetes are established and to allow access to medication including insulin. I'd have been beside myself in this situation

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
From experience. They think about hypo's by offering a carby food and log the offer. Whether accepted or refused.
However any more isn't offered unless you go unconscious. (eg an ambulance on a Saturday night in the uk).

Yes I agree it all needs reform. But won't be till LESSONS ARE LEARNT.
Thank god you weren't the lesson they needed.

Ignorance while in their duty of care. Some bosses are the same.
I pity any type1s working for the police that night. Look how they would be treated too?
Well any type of diabetic.
As a type2 a ready meal lasanya without insulin just flips the coin from hypo to hyper.
Not all type2s produce their own insulin or sufficient.
I too don't carry insulin on a night out as I don't drink and go out after teatime. I might take my meter thou. (in my bag which I presume gets confiscated).

Ive heard these stories before so I now wear a insulin dependant wristband. PINK.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That’s a real worry, especially as you don’t have any long acting insulin in your system - a few hours without your pump could kill you. I don’t know about a tubed pump, but I don’t think they’d be able to remove something like an Omnipod without a doctor being present, as they’d be leaving an open wound, albeit a very small one. How do they treat people with things like colostomy bags?

Last edited:

jazzingit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reading; Writing; and cooking

Cleaning up after someone else
Ok I was arrested on Saturday for nothing what so ever. I basically asked a police his name and badge number because I was going to complain and he put me in the police van and took me to the station.

When I got to the station I explained I was on a night out and I have diabetes my insulin is in my bag. I didn’t take my insulin when I was out Incase of a sudden drop and hypo when I am out. I would have eating and done this when I was home.

It was around 3.30am when I got there and they told me they will get a nurse. I waited and started to feel the thirst come. I drank 6 cups of water in an hour I explained I need my insulin again. But no I had to wait till the nurse came they told me he wouldn’t be long. I pressed the buzzer again after being sick knowing I was starting to get ketons in my blood I needed more water they gave me one cup at a time I kept pressing it asking how long this nurse would be. My back became sore my vision was blurry. So scared I kept pressing this buzzer for water and explaining I need insulin now I have ketons I’m being sick can you not just phone me an ambulance ? They asked me do I need sugar??? That was the final straw I said please go and good hyperglycemia or ketons they told me no they turned my buzzer off so I couldn’t press it for help or water. This resulted in me drinking from the tap that says not drinking water. I was terrified. They told me they have CCTV on me if anything happens they will come in. I told them when I go into a coma that’s when I am going to get my insulin ?? Being sick even more every sip of water I took I asked for my insulin or an ambulance again they turned the buzzer off!! At 10am I finally got insulin with my blood sugar being 31 !!

Can I make a complaint regarding this?
Who should the complaint be addressed? I had a worse experience with the police but my complaint to IPCC was ignored.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Just to put stuff in perspective. (& recount my own experience.)

I've been arrested twice' Call it "misadventure & youthful exuberance." Both times respectively.
Oddly i wasn't even restrained. Found both experiences rather civilised.
The first time i was detained at the station & breathalysed. Released without charge after 4 hours. Well under the limit, the patrol thought i was trying to steal my own car. (Didn't do that again. )

The second time. i was "banged up" for 6 hours before interview. then released without charge. (Bit of a scuffle with a local known thug.)
Whilst i was in the cell the officer in charge couldn't do enough for me.. Pretty much checking up & asking if i need anything every 30 minutes..

@dmcx3x , with the experience you had. A complaint should formally be made.

Wishing you all the best!

J>

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There have had to be several edits and deletions of posts for sweeping generalisations about our police forces. Please keep your comments and advice to the specifics of the OP. There are after all good and bad in all professions. Thanks.

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm wondering if you had your BG meter with you? How often were you allowed to test your BG?

Yes I did and my insulin pen but all was confiscated so I wasn’t aloud to test my blood sugars until the nurse came to do it and that was at 10am

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all , thanks for the replies. I haven’t wrote the email as yet to send away. I was doubting myself before I wrote on here I will definitely be doing it tomorrow. Thanks again x

Reactions: Kyambala

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
surely this is breaking the equality act and discrimination on the grounds of disability as well as neglect and hence assault?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
What's it have to do with equality?

D

Deleted member 308541

What's it have to do with equality?
I would like to know that as well.

Queensland police are equal opportunity when it comes to getting sprayed in the face with capsicum spray, or getting tasered if you bad mouth them. Not sure about South Australia police as I have never been there.

Edit: Clarity.

Last edited by a moderator:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi all , thanks for the replies. I haven’t wrote the email as yet to send away. I was doubting myself before I wrote on here I will definitely be doing it tomorrow. Thanks again x
That's how any bully makes you feel like. Not saying you felt bullied as only you know that.

dmcx3x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Still have not heard anything back. Don’t think I will either

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
What you fail to realise is that Police Officers are not allowed to administer or permit drugs to be taken by someone in their custody. The correct procedure is to call out the on call Doctor. If in the event of a long delay in that Doctor attending and the detained person is showing signs of obvious distress, then an ambulance should be called and the detained person taken to hospital accompanied by a police officer for treatment. You would not believe the number of detained persons who try to pull the wool over the eye of detention officers about the need for drugs or medication. Not saying this in your case but the police have to follow procedure. Can you imagine the outcry if they had handed over your insulin and you had taken a massive overdose. Who do you think would get the blame ? Not you, it would have been the custody officer.

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What you fail to realise is that Police Officers are not allowed to administer or permit drugs to be taken by someone in their custody. The correct procedure is to call out the on call Doctor. If in the event of a long delay in that Doctor attending and the detained person is showing signs of obvious distress, then an ambulance should be called and the detained person taken to hospital accompanied by a police officer for treatment. You would not believe the number of detained persons who try to pull the wool over the eye of detention officers about the need for drugs or medication. Not saying this in your case but the police have to follow procedure. Can you imagine the outcry if they had handed over your insulin and you had taken a massive overdose. Who do you think would get the blame ? Not you, it would have been the custody officer.

I don't think that's a helpful answer. Yes, that may be the correct procedure - but in this case that procedure was not followed, and not following it is a really bad idea for T1D people.

Reactions: Kyambala

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Still have not heard anything back. Don’t think I will either

Good afternoon dmcx3x. If you have written to al those people that I an others have mentioned and there is no reply - the next stage is the Press. Write a letter to ALL the National Newspapers - and if your MP has not replied - write to your LOCAL newspaper suggesting that your MP is "not doing his job" - SO WHY ARE WE VOTING FOR HIM.

It could well be that ALL of the people you are writing to will plead that "this is the holiday season" - but you NEED TO ACT whilst this thing is still hot. Try also to write to LOCAL RADIO and also WATCHDOG on TV.

Someone somewhere might agree eventually to interview you - BUT KEEP TRYING.