Possible Type 1 Diagnosis Today.

Helzhelz

Hi everyone,

But if history, I went to the doctors for bloods on Tuesday as I have been losing hair, had rapid weight loss, rapid vision loss, excess thirst and peeing through the night etc.

I had fairly recent random glucose levels done which were normal so I didn’t think diabetes straight away. Also had peri menopausal symptoms so thought it might be related.

However my GP called to get me in today as my HBA1C was 118, and my ketones were high when he dipped my urine. He sent me home and told me he wanted me to be seen by a diabetic team as he felt I was a new onset of type 1. (I’m 38 by the way).

Unfortunately he couldn’t get through to the diabetic team today and I have to wait until Monday now. My dad has a BM machine so I tested and it was 23.5.

I’m worried now about waiting over the weekend. I have a bit of a headache but otherwise feel well.

Do you think I should go to an out of hours service or will I be ok? He said if I felt unwell, to go.

I’m going on holiday on Thursday so worried about starting an insulin regime while being alone with my son in the US.

Any advice gratefully received about what I should do while waiting for this appointment.

NewTD2

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suggest please go to Type 1 section of the forum so that T1s can help you.

Good luck!

K

Knikki

If your bloods at 23.5 and your ketones high I would contact out of hours service ASAP

If you have been eating stuff, because your hungry, then this could push the bloods even higher. I would contact out of hours service ASAP.

Sorry, forgot to say Hello welcome to the forum.

Reactions: Rachox

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

But if history, I went to the doctors for bloods on Tuesday as I have been losing hair, had rapid weight loss, rapid vision loss, excess thirst and peeing through the night etc.

I had fairly recent random glucose levels done which were normal so I didn’t think diabetes straight away. Also had peri menopausal symptoms so thought it might be related.

However my GP called to get me in today as my HBA1C was 118, and my ketones were high when he dipped my urine. He sent me home and told me he wanted me to be seen by a diabetic team as he felt I was a new onset of type 1. (I’m 38 by the way).

Unfortunately he couldn’t get through to the diabetic team today and I have to wait until Monday now. My dad has a BM machine so I tested and it was 23.5.

I’m worried now about waiting over the weekend. I have a bit of a headache but otherwise feel well.

Do you think I should go to an out of hours service or will I be ok? He said if I felt unwell, to go.

I’m going on holiday on Thursday so worried about starting an insulin regime while being alone with my son in the US.

Any advice gratefully received about what I should do while waiting for this appointment.

Hi @Helzhelz ,

Welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed a long time ago in the summer of 1976.
Let me tell you briefly how i was diagnosed.. Fobbed off by the family GP, then raced round a "kiddie ward" within 20 minutes, where my mum's friend was a nurse. Admitted on the spot...

T1 don't take a weekend off..

Best of luck & kind regards.

J>

Reactions: enzina and Rachox

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Helzhelz Welcome :)

I am surprised at your doctors advice - I would waste no time at all and get seen as soon as possible, ketoacidosis is dangerous and can be fatal so please don’t waste any time at all getting help.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @Helzhelz , and welcome to the forum.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news here, and I obviously don't know the full background, but if the gp's provisional assessment that you may be type 1 is correct, I'd be seeking emergency treatment immediately and cancelling the holiday.

If T1 is developing (your symptoms and the gp's view suggest so), it's possible to limp along for a while, thinking it will carry on like that, maybe get better, but the truth of it is that if it is untreated T1, it can reach a stage where it accelerates very quickly in a matter of hours and puts you into a state called DKA, diabetic ketoacidosis, which, untreated, will kill.

I'm not saying that to frighten you. I'm saying that because it is what almost happened to me. I was taken to hospital with your symptoms, was sent home being told by a junior doctor that I had "exam stress", was found unconscious the next morning by my parents, rushed back to hospital in an ambulance, was in a coma for a day or so, parents were told it was 50/50 whether I'd wake up.

The period of time from feeling under the weather and peeing a lot etc. to being admitted as an emergency case to hospital was about 24 hours.

It's your choice, but I wouldn't even contemplate flying to America - DKA will not bide it's time till you get back.

It's entirely possible for doctors to miss the obvious - I almost died because a junior doctor missed the most obvious ever case of T1. I suspect your GP simply isn't aware of the possible consequences here.

Newly dx'd T1s need insulin on the same day. They can't wait a while.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Agree with others but also try to avoid adding to the high blood levels and try to avoid carbs and definitely any fruit juices, Fulton carbonated drinks or sugar. In beverages or white wine... try just till you get seen to avoid bread, pasta, cereal.

Keep hydrated... very important.

When you have been seen by medics and some treatment underway then follow their advice.

Just worried that you will be adding extra fuel to those ketones. Do keep drinking water...

Do try to get urgent appt at walk in centre as a minimum.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Appointment at walk in centre or call 111.

High sugars and ketones are not to be messed with.

Come back and talk once all is calmer.

geroleary

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my daughter is type 1 and the symptoms your describing suggest you are type 1 . It would be a good idea to present yourself at a hospital if you are feeling as you describe. I ain’t a doctor but just going in my daughters symptoms. I hope you start to feel better soon.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Can’t add anything much to what the others have said, it’s crucial you get yourself to a hospital well before Monday. Assuming you have travel insurance, it should cover a cancellation in circumstances like this - you certainly don’t want to be in America and having a diabetic emergency, it’ll bankrupt you.

Sending hugs, and we’re here to help when you’re ready x

Helzhelz

Thank you all again for your advice yesterday.

The hospital doctors agreed with you!

Thankfully I did take out travel insurance last week, and I’m told BA are quite understanding about postponing holidays for things like this. My son is very disappointed as his dad lives in the US and he hasn’t seen him for a long time, but we’re both in agreement that this is more important right now.

Thank you all again for making me realise the urgency. My GP is usually really good!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Great to hear you got help. Sadly a few GPS aren't clued up on diabetes and there have been cases of fatalities as a result.

Holiday will happen in time.

Huge hug.

Reactions: Helzhelz

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So glad you got seen Helzhelz, there are loads of experienced type 1s who will help you with any questions that crop up along the way. I wish you well x

Reactions: Knikki

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Helzhelz so glad you took the advice on here, and when you need more, this is definitely the place to come. I don't know what it adds up to but there are hundreds and hundreds of years of experience to draw on :) and lots of really friendly helpful people. Sorry you had to postpone your holiday, that's never fun; you'll enjoy it a whole lot more once you're sorted and feeling better. Good luck!

Reactions: Knikki and Diakat

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@Helzhelz

Have you been admitted to hospital??

What has happened to get you feeling better and to reduce bloods and ketones?

tomrose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there!
I am also recently diagnosed and I am shocked by the way your situation has been handled. I was admitted to hospital (albeit for less than 24 hours), diagnosed and then seen at the clinic in the hospital.
In regards to you not feeling unwell, from my experience that doesn't mean you are fine! When I got the call asking to attend an out of hours GP (who then admitted me to hospital) I told the doctor on the phone that I was fine and that it could wait until the morning. With glucose levels high and ketones I think once these are corrected you will feel a million times better and not realise how ill you were.
My advice in your situation would be to get on to a GP ASAP or get into hospital to be checked out further.
Let us know how you are.

margarett89

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that you should not underestimate such things and come to the doctor as soon as possible