Type 2 Low Carb Diet And Your Lifespan

Tanbsymum

I read in the news this morning that a low carb diet could shorten your life. Does anyone understand the reasoning behind this report?

lindisfel

Expert
I heard Tedstone when it was the obesety special on Radio 4 lunch time programme. She was the expert they consulted. IMO to say she was useless would be a compliment I wouldn't use.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squire Fulwood

lindisfel

Expert
They not telling the population when they eat the bread they want them to eat, the grain has had a good dose of Roundup before it's harvested. They use it to harden off the grains just before combining.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I read in the news this morning that a low carb diet could shorten your life. Does anyone understand the reasoning behind this report?
The reasoning behind it is that the authors are trying to put people off a way of eating that can help to reverse multiple medical conditions without the use of medication or food produced in a factory. Pharmaceutical companies and food manufacturers (as opposed to food producers) are starting to get very worried about their bottom line so are starting to put out the frighteners to put people off taking control of their own health.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They not telling the population when they eat the bread they want them to eat, the grain has had a good dose of Roundup before it's harvested. They use it to harden off the grains just before combining.
I havent seen this happen in the UK.

Reactions: Sani Thomas

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Taken from the report:
"The plant-based low carbohydrate diet had more servings per day of nuts, peanut butter, dark or grain breads, chocolate, and white bread than did higher carbohydrate diets "
"increased consumption of plant-based protein and fat instead of carbohydrate was associated with a significant decrease in all-cause mortality"

So if I continue with my low carb plant based diet - increasing the amount of chocolate and peanut butter I will live longer ;)
mmmmm - dont think so! I will trust my own personal health records - lower carb = lower blood glucose levels

The participants in the study also self reported in terms of portion size and frequency.
How many people do you know who drink excessively but claim to be "social drinkers only" or men who can still wear their 36" trousers - but with a massive beer belly hanging over.
I doubt if the participants in the study truly reported their diets fully.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Money and greed from the food and big Pharma industries @Tanbsymum no profit in a cure!:)

trotskyite

Thank you everyone, I will continue with LCHF and keep my BS under control
So you are continuing with low carb based on the above conspiracy theories and disregarding the study of over 400,000 people published in the Lancet? Hmmm
Did you also miss this study from a few days ago?
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/dom.13499

"The proportion of daily energy provided by carbohydrate intake is not an important determinant of response to dietary management, especially when considering longer term trials. A range of dietary patterns including those traditionally consumed in Mediterranean countries seems suitable for translating nutritional recommendations for people with diabetes into practical advice."

Reactions: Sani Thomas

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So you are continuing with low carb based on the above conspiracy theories and disregarding the study of over 400,000 people published in the Lancet? Hmmm
Did you also miss this study from a few days ago?
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/dom.13499

"The proportion of daily energy provided by carbohydrate intake is not an important determinant of response to dietary management, especially when considering longer term trials. A range of dietary patterns including those traditionally consumed in Mediterranean countries seems suitable for translating nutritional recommendations for people with diabetes into practical advice."

"We studied 15 428 adults aged 45–64 years, in four US communities" From the piece in "The Lancet" which of course is itself a report on the study carried out in the US (not by the Lancet).
The study based on two food questionaires in the 80' and 90's and then extrapolated for 25 years assumes that people's badly remembered eating habits remained the same over those 25 years and that a "Low Carb" diet consisted of 37% of energy being from carbohydrate... need I go on?
The graph that was produced from the information gathered was then extrapolated itself far beyond any evidence that was discovered so becomes pure speculation.
So we have Food Questionaires, Dodgy diets, no suppporting evidence and zero "proof" whatsoever but we are supposed to abandon a way of eating that has proven successful for so many of us because of the biased study from some Whole Food Plant Based evangelists at Harvard? Hmmmmm

Reactions: donnellysdogs

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
One hardly has to be a conspiracy theorist to recognise the difference between observational studies (in this case having a long lapse of observation between beginning and end) and studies for example as those being carried out by Virta Health whereby physical evidence is gathered regularly and where a particular start/end protocol is within parameters set out clearly.

I do not like rodent studies but even they are better than the mish mash of cherry picked numbers involved in this 'study'.