Type 2 Low Carb Diet And Your Lifespan

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"The proportion of daily energy provided by carbohydrate intake is not an important determinant of response to dietary management, especially when considering longer term trials. A range of dietary patterns including those traditionally consumed in Mediterranean countries seems suitable for translating nutritional recommendations for people with diabetes into practical advice."

Unfortunately their recommendation is based on imagination. Not real world results. Their record for T2D remission/reversal has been dismal for decades.

This chart looks good...until the doctor hears what I have been eating :D ...then it suddenly becomes dangerous, unsustainable...
upload_2018-8-18_2-38-36.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-18_2-36-41.png
    upload_2018-8-18_2-36-41.png
    148.7 KB · Views: 305

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Having no choice but to eat very low carb can change your opinion of these articles.
The labels given to basic foodstuff, such as healthy and nutritious has always been used in advertising. It is so misleading.
I would really like to hear their opinions if and when these opinionated idiots have to go low carb when and if they develop a condition which improves their health when eating low carb.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
So you are continuing with low carb based on the above conspiracy theories and disregarding the study of over 400,000 people published in the Lancet? Hmmm
Did you also miss this study from a few days ago?
Yes.
And
No

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So you are continuing with low carb based on the above conspiracy theories
No. I am continuing with low carb as, for over 6 years now, it has kept my blood sugar levels in the safe zone.

Unlike my brother who has listened to his doctors and is now about to start insulin in the same time frame of diagnosis as me : (

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One hardly has to be a conspiracy theorist to recognise the difference between observational studies (in this case having a long lapse of observation between beginning and end) and studies for example as those being carried out by Virta Health whereby physical evidence is gathered regularly and where a particular start/end protocol is within parameters set out clearly.

I do not like rodent studies but even they are better than the mish mash of cherry picked numbers involved in this 'study'.
I don't think the rodents would agree with you ;)

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Dr. Malhotra on the subject.

Reactions: Prem51

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that people who eat a lot of red meat also tend to smoke more and drink more........ There have not tried to correct form this.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'd be dead now if I didn't eat low carb. I'd be hitting more nearer the 30st mark. I dont add weight on low carb as long as I don't replace carbs with fat. Insulin injected nor my thyroid likes a fatty diet.

So... for me.... low carb helps with my mortality rate, not decreases it. :) :) :)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Excellent fightback by the anti-low carb / keto via animal fat brigade. This will scare off a few undecided and cost health services more money and families more heart ache. Clearly just like the rodent nonsense a couple of weeks ago, what us amateurs recognise as LCHF / Keto never tallies with what is reported - strange that.

Why don't these ever study and report on say Dr Eric Westman's anecdotal patients, he has thousands for well over 10 years, with full medical records, or for example to members on Type 1 grit with an average HbA1c of 5.7, or try to contradict the results Virta released this year, or dare I say the participants of the low carb programme on this site. There's the challenge, after all people have gone back over Ancel Keys work and what did they find.... So the ribs, lamb and vegetables I had this evening would be healthier with a side of rice, pasta, potatoes or grains. Maths was my best subject at A level, so I wonder if my number below would been better with additional carbs:

Ribs Lamb Veg.jpg

If we were to accept this report (which I don't), we would be plus 6 years as make it. Uncontrolled diabetes = minus 10 years, according to their studies low carb = minus 4 years; okay so I will take my controlled diabetes = plus 10 years and minus the low carb element of 4 years and take the net 6 years - thanks.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Remember that people who eat a lot of red meat also tend to smoke more and drink more........ There have not tried to correct form this.
sez who exactly? upon what basis is this sweeping generalization based?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Can someone contact this lady and tell her to revert to high carb as a better fix for her previous fatty liver and high HbA1c of 8.9 (now 5.8). Her 13 weeks of Keto were clearly a waste of time.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
sez who exactly? upon what basis is this sweeping generalization based?

It has been shown in a few studies, remember that they will also count a big mac as red meat. This type of study is mostly useless for many reasons.

BigIain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Carbs
I read in the news this morning that a low carb diet could shorten your life. Does anyone understand the reasoning behind this report?
It won't shorten your life span by more than the effect of diabetes complications do... imo

valmca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm no expert, but my immediate reaction when watching the news reports on life expectancy on a low carb diet was - as a T2 diabetic, if I were to abandon a lower carb diet the resulting high blood glucose levels would almost certainly lower my life expectancy by more than the 4 years the study is claiming! Not to mention the probable quality of life reduction from ensuing diabetic complications.

valmca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh, and in addition, I've lost 6st 3lb in the last 18 months on low carb - I wonder how many years that has added to my life?

Reactions: Prem51