4.4 Before Bed

fifibi

My BS are increasingly 4.4 before bed. What do people have to bring them up before they sleep. I am trying to lose weight so don't want to eat fattening food. I have been having some orange juice. Interested to know what others do

Reactions: kitedoc

Carlton1512

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When your diabetes misbehaves for no apparent reason.
My BS are increasingly 4.4 before bed. What do people have to bring them up before they sleep. I am trying to lose weight so don't want to eat fattening food. I have been having some orange juice. Interested to know what others do
What is your BS when you wake up?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My BS are increasingly 4.4 before bed.
Can you reduce your bolus with your evening meal? I'd probably have a piece of fruit, though that may not be the best thing to have.

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I have one slice of rye and wholemeal sourdough toast! There you have it, TOAST and it's yum. (150 cals at most or if you want to keep the calories down, try ryvita).

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
If it were me I would drop my bolus with evening meal - am sure that’s what you meant @EllieM :). I prefer adjusting insulin than eating extra.

Reactions: kitedoc

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Personally, I would factor in when did I eat my evening meal. (Time of last bolus, is there still fast acting insulin on board?)
Also the timing of the basal? (Long acting insulin.) was the 4.4mmol before a basal injection for bed?

What insulins are you prescribed? Do you inject long acting once a day, (before bed.) or do you split the dose??

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Have you tried basal testing? A rise of 4mmol overnight suggests you don’t have enough to keep you level, which is the whole point of it. If it’s times and dosed right, you should wake within 1mmol of when you went to bed. It can be a laborious process, but it’s well worth doing.

Reactions: Dodo

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, best to reduce insulin rather than relying on fast acting carbs, but easier said than done! I try to be accurate when taking fast-acting carbs. One dextrose tablet will increase me by 1 mmol/l, if I glug a load orange juice it's a bit like stabbing in the dark (excuse the pun!).

Khushi Nagpal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with reducing insulin, instead of having to correct. At 4.4 before bed I would have a small date, which is a fast-release and a healthy choice, but it increases sugar-levels quite fast. So would be better fitted with lower sugar levels!!!