1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

4.4 Before Bed

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by fifibi, Sep 1, 2018.

1. fifibi

fifibi · Member

My BS are increasingly 4.4 before bed. What do people have to bring them up before they sleep. I am trying to lose weight so don't want to eat fattening food. I have been having some orange juice. Interested to know what others do

• Like Like x 1
  2. Carlton1512

Carlton1512 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What is your BS when you wake up?

3. fifibi

fifibi · Member

this morning was 8.5

4. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Can you reduce your bolus with your evening meal? I'd probably have a piece of fruit, though that may not be the best thing to have.

#4 EllieM, Sep 1, 2018 at 8:11 AM
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
  5. KK123

KK123 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have one slice of rye and wholemeal sourdough toast! There you have it, TOAST and it's yum. (150 cals at most or if you want to keep the calories down, try ryvita).

6. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

If it were me I would drop my bolus with evening meal - am sure that’s what you meant @EllieM :). I prefer adjusting insulin than eating extra.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

Personally, I would factor in when did I eat my evening meal. (Time of last bolus, is there still fast acting insulin on board?)
    Also the timing of the basal? (Long acting insulin.) was the 4.4mmol before a basal injection for bed?

What insulins are you prescribed? Do you inject long acting once a day, (before bed.) or do you split the dose??

8. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Have you tried basal testing? A rise of 4mmol overnight suggests you don’t have enough to keep you level, which is the whole point of it. If it’s times and dosed right, you should wake within 1mmol of when you went to bed. It can be a laborious process, but it’s well worth doing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Milk if caught on a low before bed!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, it was, just edited my post. :) (Really, really wish they didn't both begin with b, it's way too easy to mix up basal and bolus when typing.)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SamJB

SamJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Yep, best to reduce insulin rather than relying on fast acting carbs, but easier said than done! I try to be accurate when taking fast-acting carbs. One dextrose tablet will increase me by 1 mmol/l, if I glug a load orange juice it's a bit like stabbing in the dark (excuse the pun!).

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Khushi Nagpal

Khushi Nagpal Type 1 · Active Member

I agree with reducing insulin, instead of having to correct. At 4.4 before bed I would have a small date, which is a fast-release and a healthy choice, but it increases sugar-levels quite fast. So would be better fitted with lower sugar levels!!!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook