Exercise

nomorechoccy

I am trying to do as much as possible. I have loads of time on my hands at the moment.

Yesterday I walked just over 8 miles when I finished was worn out. Intend going for a jog today of 3 to 4 miles.

As usual can't sleep so thought I'd get up for a few hours.

Reactions: ianpspurs

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @nomorechoccy, I hope you have suitable footwear and are trying to avoid hard surfaces as much as possible. There are some that pontificate that running and jogging are too injurious on joints long term.
I also remember a line out of the movie "The Horse Whisperer", that running is OK because the grizzlies only go after the joggers". Out of context and place I know but funny all the same !!
Best Wishes with your exercise regime and the well being it evokes.

nomorechoccy

I always wear good quality trainers and am aware that hard surfaces are not ideal .

Luckily no bears around here ( if there were I might run faster ).

I will risk the joints injuries for the benefits I get..

Thanks for your comments

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
May I ask why you are excercising? Is it for good, overall health or weight loss? While I am of the opinion that excercise is fantastic for overall health and we should all do a comfortable level of activity every day I remain unconvinced that regimented excercise aids weight loss. Diet is far more important if shedding pounds is one's goal.

Edited typo.

Reactions: kitedoc

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
I am trying to do as much as possible. I have loads of time on my hands at the moment.

Yesterday I walked just over 8 miles when I finished was worn out. Intend going for a jog today of 3 to 4 miles.

Kudos for the exercise.

Have you considered cycling? Less strain on the joints but still good exercise.

I walk and cycle now because my feet and knees are no longer up to running, although running used to be my exercise of choice. I have tried walking fast (4 mph or more) but even that seems to over stretch joints and ligaments.

One benefit of running is that you can burn more energy in a shorter time. At least, I found that to run at a reasonable pace was something that was self policing because it was obvious when your legs slowed down or stopped. It is too easy to back off a bit when you are cycling.

Reactions: kitedoc

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Have you got a pedometer? Good fun to measure your steps. I can also recommend gardening for exercise. Amazing how many calories my fitbit reckons I burn doing that.

nomorechoccy

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the comments.

I am not overweight just at the top of ideal weight band 14 stone 12 at 6 foot 5.

I have blood pressure of 138 over 92 which I am told exercise will help, just I like jogging .

I use a garmin sat nav watch to measure how far I go not really interested in how many steps I take.

Just come back from docs been prescribed metformin.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There are some that pontificate that running and jogging are too injurious on joints long term.
They are out of date. The following is from an article in Runner's World May 2017:

"Let’s be clear: running won’t ruin your knees. ‘Three large studies show long-term endurance running doesn’t seem to damage joint health,’ says Richard Willy, assistant professor of physical therapy at East Carolina University, US.

In fact, runners may have healthier joints than inactive people, says Max R Paquette, an assistant professor of biomechanics at the University of Memphis, US. Running strengthens bone and muscle, and it’s thought it may do the same for cartilage, which cushions joints. And strong muscles – built by running and strength-training – support joints, so they are less vulnerable to injury."

You can read the whole article here:
https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/health/injury/what-all-runners-need-to-know-about-joint-health

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My stamina and flexibility definitely got better when I bought myself a trampoline, but at that time I was seriously overweight and unable to walk far due to the pain of doing so. The trampoline made and makes a really easy surface to sit, kneel or lie on as the apron distorts to support rather than put pressure on just one spot. I bought an 8 foot wide circular one and set it up in the back garden. Two twenty minute bounces amount to 2000 jumps, pain free.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My stamina and flexibility definitely got better when I bought myself a trampoline, but at that time I was seriously overweight and unable to walk far due to the pain of doing so. The trampoline made and makes a really easy surface to sit, kneel or lie on as the apron distorts to support rather than put pressure on just one spot. I bought an 8 foot wide circular one and set it up in the back garden. Two twenty minute bounces amount to 2000 jumps, pain free.
Two twenty minute bounces amount to 2000 jumps
Well done indeed! I bought a mini trampoline (labelled "Trampette"! but I find 10 minutes is quite enough.

Reactions: Larissima

SaladDaze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't do running yet. I did suggest it to my doc a while back before the diabetes diagnosis and he said "do you want a heart attack? Try walking 10,000 steps a day regularly first.". So I try to do the 10k steps each day but sometimes it's just too boring or the weather's not suitable, so for exercise I bought a folding static bike and more recently a folding rowing machine (space is limited). I watch an episode of something on Netflix while using these. Then I read that, in addition to aerobic exercise, weight training is important. So for weights I've started going to one of the local municipal sports centres a couple of times a week .

I may or may not do a bit of running eventually. I would be a bit worried about knee damage myself having damaged both of them on separate occasions in the past.

Reactions: feniangirl

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I try to do the 10k steps each day but sometimes it's just too boring
I know the feeling! I listen to podcasts through headphones when I walk anywhere quiet enough. It helps 100%. Well done for all your exercise initiatives!

SaladDaze

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know the feeling! I listen to podcasts through headphones when I walk anywhere quiet enough. It helps 100%. Well done for all your exercise initiatives!

Thanks. I feel a lot better for it. I am a big fan of Podcasts but I listen in bed. The streets here are just too noisy, so it's music on the headphones when I'm walking. I do like walking lunchtimes and did so today. The problem is when I haven't used my lunchtime for walking and have to make it up after work when I'm tired and I really want to get home. Now I have the option of going home and getting on the machines.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a big fan of Podcasts but I listen in bed. The streets here are just too noisy
Yes, I get really fed up with noise interrupting my podcast listening. I don't expect to be able to listen in the street, but even in the park, every few minutes another jet comes over and drowns out my podcast. I have to walk with my iPod in my hand ready to pause. And then there are the parkies with their leaf blowers and tractors cutting the grass. I agree it's great to have one's own equipment at home, but somehow I do like the park best.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use a garmin sat nav watch to measure how far I go not really interested in how many steps I take.
I use a Garmin when I run AND my Fitbit all the time. I'm really grieved if I realise too late I have left it off and "lost" some floors or steps. IMO you can't have too much feedback and gold stars!

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I remain unconvinced that regimented excercise aids weight loss. Diet is far more important if shedding pounds is one's goal.

Edited typo.

I’m not sure about weight loss, but if you do manage to lose weight, particularly a lot of weight, it all needs a serious amount of toning up, especially if you are older

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I’m not sure about weight loss, but if you do manage to lose weight, particularly a lot of weight, it all needs a serious amount of toning up, especially if you are older

I've lost weight without a moment's excercise. No rolls of loose skin and I'm chasing 60.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agreed, all weight loss involves losing muscle as well as fat, so best if possible to lose weight gently and work on building muscle at the same time. Not easy, but I guess would require eating the right amount of protein especially after exercise.

Reactions: Petaluk