Dieting And Diabetes

Malcolm ward

Hello, I'm newly diagnosed with Type 2. I've been told to loose weight off the GP and my partner has got me to join slimming world. I have lost weight but I think this is because I've had water infections etc and the medication put me off food so was fairly easy. Now I have got my appetite back I'm struggling with what I can and cant eat whilst on a diet with slimming world because of Syns. Does anybody know of any books that I can buy that give slimming world recipes?
I'm really struggling with it all at the moment and not knowing what I am doing is really getting me down, on top of that I obviously feel ill and would normally have a big bar of dairy milk or a nice cream cake to cheer me up!!!

bootyful0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
running
Hello, I'm newly diagnosed with Type 2. I've been told to loose weight off the GP and my partner has got me to join slimming world. I have lost weight but I think this is because I've had water infections etc and the medication put me off food so was fairly easy. Now I have got my appetite back I'm struggling with what I can and cant eat whilst on a diet with slimming world because of Syns. Does anybody know of any books that I can buy that give slimming world recipes?
I'm really struggling with it all at the moment and not knowing what I am doing is really getting me down, on top of that I obviously feel ill and would normally have a big bar of dairy milk or a nice cream cake to cheer me up!!!

Hi Malcoln. You could always try just eating the ready made slimming world meals that they do at Iceland. Yes I know they are ready made (and you may have to watch the carbs in them) but at least it could get you started . When you feel more comfortable you could prepare your own meals from scratch if that's what you prefer. Wishing you well

Reactions: Malcolm ward

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Or you could always chuck the Slimming World and try low carbing to get the benefits of lower blood sugars and weight loss that quite a few of us here have already?
Then you get to eat proper food like eggs and bacon and roasts with green veg.
I see its your first post so I'll tag in @daisy1 for the intro to low carb.
Like all dieting clubs Slimming World is a repeat business so they help you lose a bit you go off plan and put it all back on again. Then they welcome you and your cash back with open arms..
Long term its about maintaining weight loss which is far easier when eating good food.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Malcolm. Welcome to the forum. From what I have read on this forum, for most people with T2, Slimming World is about as much use as a chocolate fire-guard as a long term solution. Have a read around the diet sections here, there are a lot of good ideas for eating, both for weight loss and lowering Blood Glucose levels. I will tag @daisy1 for her very informative intro. Ask as many questions as you need, someone will probably be able to answer.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Malcolm ward

Hello Malcolm and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you like and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 235,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:
  • structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.
Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. Most of these are free.

• Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why

• Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The thing to remember about all slimming clubs is that they don't really want you to succeed in the long-term. That's why they sell low cal snacks. They want you to keep your bad habits so they keep getting income. I went to Slimming World because my doctor allowed me to have 6 months worth of sessions free, but I only went for the weekly weigh in. I lost 15% of my body weight by following low carb high fat and disregarding their diet.

Malcolm ward

The thing to remember about all slimming clubs is that they don't really want you to succeed in the long-term. That's why they sell low cal snacks. They want you to keep your bad habits so they keep getting income. I went to Slimming World because my doctor allowed me to have 6 months worth of sessions free, but I only went for the weekly weigh in. I lost 15% of my body weight by following low carb high fat and disregarding their diet.

Thank you Zand, I guess ive only joined really to stop my parents and partner worrying as much, they feel that I am doing something about it and taking it seriously. What sort of things did you find yourself eating? I know I should excersice as well but I just feel so tired and unmotivated.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Zand, I guess ive only joined really to stop my parents and partner worrying as much, they feel that I am doing something about it and taking it seriously. What sort of things did you find yourself eating? I know I should excersice as well but I just feel so tired and unmotivated.
Back then I ate bacon and sausage for breakfast (but check the carb content of sausages as some of the cheaper ones are quite high carb) Have a look at these threads for ideas.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-explained-in-60-seconds.98116/

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-few-asking-for-low-carb-food-lists.96321/

Don't worry about exercise for now. Diet is way more important than exercise. You will feel more motivated when you see results :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another great food resource is www.dietdoctor.com

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I know there is always the lose weight above and before any other consideration - but really, the thing to do is control blood glucose - that is what can do the damage, and I found that I lost weight without any effort once my blood glucose levels came down.
There was also the return of energy and activity, and the change in body shape - I felt almost spherical, could not bend down - just to be able to wash out the bottom of the fridge is really quite an achievement, but I do it even if it isn't actually needed- because I can.
Last year at Christmas I had two dinners - with the offspring, and both evenings I saw 5.6 mmol/l on the meter - I was just over a year from diagnosis and I knew I'd got it beaten.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The only good reason to join one of the slimming clubs is to be with a group of people with the same aims and motivation. Other than that having a low-carb diet is free and usually works for us. With SW beware of any of their diets that are not lower-carb and remember you need proteins and fats together with lower carbs to keep you feeling full and avoid snacking. Ignore the Syns thing and be aware that fat doesn't make you fat.

Reactions: Energize

navigator

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Help to clear info overload [please].
My wife who is not good at web-based stuff is now classed as prediabetic, with an HbA1c of 48, in August. She has a BMI of 27.5.
I am involved with this situation, as I have had to deal with the effect of diabetes on my brother who has mental capacity issues and was not properly supported by NHS.
So my knowledge and understanding are pretty high.
Now my wife and I are concerned that we do not understand how the 48 appeared. On February 18, HbA1c was 46 and in June was 42. Her GP put her onto the NHS healthier You Programme, in February. The 48 above was at the first one to one discussion, after waiting 6 months!!.

Needless to say, the GP is as puzzled as ourselves. Wife has another NHS blood test today [18-9-18] and will get back to the GP later next week
Since joining the Slimming World, in January 18, she has lost nearly 13 Kg, has never knowingly eaten high sugar foods, keeps away from most manufactured foods and is good at following the Slimming World recipes. We are both regularly exercising and cannot get our heads around the 48 Level.
We agree that the wife needs to keep working at the weight loss, diets, exercise schemes. However what type of diet plan is going to work??

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Help to clear info overload [please].
My wife who is not good at web-based stuff is now classed as prediabetic, with an HbA1c of 48, in August. She has a BMI of 27.5.
I am involved with this situation, as I have had to deal with the effect of diabetes on my brother who has mental capacity issues and was not properly supported by NHS.
So my knowledge and understanding are pretty high.
Now my wife and I are concerned that we do not understand how the 48 appeared. On February 18, HbA1c was 46 and in June was 42. Her GP put her onto the NHS healthier You Programme, in February. The 48 above was at the first one to one discussion, after waiting 6 months!!.

Needless to say, the GP is as puzzled as ourselves. Wife has another NHS blood test today [18-9-18] and will get back to the GP later next week
Since joining the Slimming World, in January 18, she has lost nearly 13 Kg, has never knowingly eaten high sugar foods, keeps away from most manufactured foods and is good at following the Slimming World recipes. We are both regularly exercising and cannot get our heads around the 48 Level.
We agree that the wife needs to keep working at the weight loss, diets, exercise schemes. However what type of diet plan is going to work??

What is she eating?
And what are the dietary recommendations of the Healthier You Programme?
Because if those recommendations include 'healthy' carbs (such as brown bread, potatoes, brown rice, bananas, grapes, other sweet fruit, juice, cereals and root veg) then those are exactly the things that will be driving her blood glucose higher.

All those things will digest down to glucose in the bloodstream, and if she is lowering her fat intake at the same time, and increasing those carby foods, then it will be raising her blood glucose significantly.

The NHS seems to struggle with a weird cognitive dissonance, saying 'avoid sugar and sweet things' but 'eat starchy carbs instead'. When both sugar and starch have exactly the same effect on blood glucose.

Try www.dietdoctor.com and www.bloodglucose101.com for a better understanding.

Sprocket 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I am a couple of months in to my diagnosis. I was already doing slimming world and had lost 2 stone prior to getting type 2 so it doesn't help keep your sugars low, though you would maybe lose weight? The diet doctor site folk on here recommended has been my best resource i think.

When i told the leader i had type 2 she gave me a diabetes booklet which after reading things on here i knew was a bit rubbish. Low carb is what am doing and is working for me i think. Have been testing and my bg has come down from 9s to 7s and even a couple of 6s.

SW says unlimited potatoes which is a big no no. I've cut potatoes out completely though do still have 2 slices of bread most days (healthy extra b). Saying that there are some good sw recipes online if you google.

Good luck x

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can eat proper food like eggs and bacon, and roast with green veg on slimming world as well. Although they tell you you *can* eat foods that are high in carbs, you don't have to eat this way. You can eat as much lean meat and veg as you like, just not the fat. I follow slimming world and it seems to suit me, I eat a lot of meat and veg, some fruit and small portions of starchy carbs a couple of times a day. I eat a moderate amount of carbs, around 75g a day, my libre doesn't complain about it, and I am losing weight. I always cook from scratch, never eat ready meals. Slimming world have lots of great recipe books and also you can find lots of recipes online as well. Maybe it's not for everyone, but it is very flexible if you use it to suit yourself. (I am always amazed though at the number of members who don't seem to be able to cook, and eat a lot of the slimming world products - I never use these.)

Reactions: lcarter