Confused

Clackdish

Had a bad hba1c result ,94, radically changed lifestyle 8 weeks later got it to 42 , my question is this , what does the 42 mean , am asking as work are refusing to allow me to travel as I need to be stable and well managed for preceding 3 months according to their guidelines

Toriroge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a bad hba1c result ,94, radically changed lifestyle 8 weeks later got it to 42 , my question is this , what does the 42 mean , am asking as work are refusing to allow me to travel as I need to be stable and well managed for preceding 3 months according to their guidelines
42 is brilliant I think that means a sugar reading of around 6.
42 is well controlled x

Reactions: gemma_T1

Clackdish

42 is brilliant I think that means a sugar reading of around 6.
42 is well controlled x
But does the 42 apply to last 3 months average ? ,work seem to be using dates of tests not results themselves or am I not understanding the test properly

Clackdish

Am not sure what they want then keep telling me sugars need to be stable and well managed for last 3 months am confused

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
42 is linked to your average blood sugar for the last 3 months, and, as others have said, is an awesome result. Maybe you could ask your doctor for a letter if they don't understand this?

Clackdish

Have asked but they where a bit wishy washy ,and didn't seem to want to get involved, it's almost like I have to educate the work doctors with out peeing them off !

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The HbA1c test result refers to the overall picture of what our average blood sugar levels have been over the last three months. Your result is very good!

Reactions: mansingh01

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have asked but they where a bit wishy washy ,and didn't seem to want to get involved, it's almost like I have to educate the work doctors with out peeing them off !
What work are you doing that your employers are so concerned about your HbA1c?

Clackdish

That's what I was lead to believe but all I get is has to be stable for last 3 months don't know how I can resolve this any ideas anyone ?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's to do with the travel not the work, going abroad
I would guess it is the company insurance that they are worried about. Perhaps you could ask for the insurance wording if that is the case.

Reactions: briped

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems as though you are being treated as a badly controlled type one rather than type two not on any serious medication.
Maybe ask them if they realize that you do not have hypos.

Clackdish

Thanks for all the advice cheers

Reactions: Ceebee2

david1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you need to patiently explain to your employers what your HbA1c results are and that they're showing that your diabetes has been well managed for the last three months. Maybe point them in the direction of https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/managing-your-diabetes/hba1c which gives a very good explanation.

Good luck with getting it sorted and keep on doing what you're doing - getting excellent results.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I need to be stable and well managed for preceding 3 months according to their guidelines
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer on this one but you say your work needs you to be stable for 3 months and 2 months ago you were not. You could be bangign your head against a brick wall here. :banghead:

Well done on improving your numbers from 94 to 42.
:bag:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, they seem to think you are taking insulin. Any T2 on just Metformin will normally be fairly stable over 3 months particularly with a low carb diet. BTW but don't tell your employer, the HBa1C 3-month average is weighted to the more recent months as it relies on the lifetime of the red blood cells. A reading of 42 is brilliant and just below the threshold for diabetes.