1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Confused

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Clackdish, Sep 9, 2018.

1. Clackdish

Clackdish · Member

Had a bad hba1c result ,94, radically changed lifestyle 8 weeks later got it to 42 , my question is this , what does the 42 mean , am asking as work are refusing to allow me to travel as I need to be stable and well managed for preceding 3 months according to their guidelines

2. Toriroge

Toriroge Type 1 · Active Member

42 is brilliant I think that means a sugar reading of around 6.
    42 is well controlled x

• Like Like x 1
  3. Clackdish

Clackdish · Member

But does the 42 apply to last 3 months average ? ,work seem to be using dates of tests not results themselves or am I not understanding the test properly

4. Toriroge

Toriroge Type 1 · Active Member

Yeah that's right is a average x

5. Clackdish

Clackdish · Member

Am not sure what they want then keep telling me sugars need to be stable and well managed for last 3 months am confused

6. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

42 is linked to your average blood sugar for the last 3 months, and, as others have said, is an awesome result. Maybe you could ask your doctor for a letter if they don't understand this?

7. Clackdish

Clackdish · Member

Have asked but they where a bit wishy washy ,and didn't seem to want to get involved, it's almost like I have to educate the work doctors with out peeing them off !

8. Ambersilva

Ambersilva Type 1 · Well-Known Member

The HbA1c test result refers to the overall picture of what our average blood sugar levels have been over the last three months. Your result is very good!

• Like Like x 1
  9. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

What work are you doing that your employers are so concerned about your HbA1c?

10. Clackdish

Clackdish · Member

That's what I was lead to believe but all I get is has to be stable for last 3 months don't know how I can resolve this any ideas anyone ?

11. Clackdish

Clackdish · Member

It's to do with the travel not the work, going abroad

12. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I would guess it is the company insurance that they are worried about. Perhaps you could ask for the insurance wording if that is the case.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bulkbiker

Are you on any medication? I find it quite surprising that your firm has any knowledge of your Type 2. Who informed them ... you?

14. Clackdish

Clackdish · Member

Part of medical ,I take metformin

15. bulkbiker

I'm imagining that someone at your company doctors need some education then.

16. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

It seems as though you are being treated as a badly controlled type one rather than type two not on any serious medication.
    Maybe ask them if they realize that you do not have hypos.

17. Clackdish

Clackdish · Member

Thanks for all the advice cheers

• Like Like x 1
  18. david1968

david1968 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think you need to patiently explain to your employers what your HbA1c results are and that they're showing that your diabetes has been well managed for the last three months. Maybe point them in the direction of https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/managing-your-diabetes/hba1c which gives a very good explanation.

Good luck with getting it sorted and keep on doing what you're doing - getting excellent results.

19. There is no Spoon

There is no Spoon I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer on this one but you say your work needs you to be stable for 3 months and 2 months ago you were not. You could be bangign your head against a brick wall here. :banghead:

Well done on improving your numbers from 94 to 42.
    :bag:

20. Daibell

Daibell LADA · Master

Hi. Yes, they seem to think you are taking insulin. Any T2 on just Metformin will normally be fairly stable over 3 months particularly with a low carb diet. BTW but don't tell your employer, the HBa1C 3-month average is weighted to the more recent months as it relies on the lifetime of the red blood cells. A reading of 42 is brilliant and just below the threshold for diabetes.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook