Sourdough Bread And Diabetes

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sprouting wheat brings to mind the malting process for barley.

In brewing beer, the barley grain is moistened and allowed to germinate for a set period to start the enzyme action which converts starch to sugar and to ensure more enzymes are present. The germination is then stopped by heat before too much energy goes into the sprout, and the resulting malted barley is soaked in warm water to "mash", which is the conversion of starch into sugar by the natural enzymes (increased by the malting process) which in turn feeds the yeast which makes the alcohol.

As far as I can tell much the same happens when sprouting wheat - it is allowed to sprout for a bit then stopped. This gives a slightly different ratio of starch to sugars and also generates other compounds which are produced during germination.

There is no guarantee that sprouted wheat bread is made from just sprouted wheat; this may just be one component.

So sprouting wheat may reduce the carbohydrates and increase the protein by a (very?) small amount, but so far I haven't read anything to suggest that it produces a low carbohydrate bread.
Malting turns protein into carbs - to increase the food for the yeasts to work on and make more alcohol from a given amount of grain. There are enzymes produced by the sprouting and then heating which go on to be used in the mashing process, preventing a cloudy beer and releasing more sugars as they work.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Malting turns protein into carbs - to increase the food for the yeasts to work on and make more alcohol from a given amount of grain. There are enzymes produced by the sprouting and then heating which go on to be used in the mashing process, preventing a cloudy beer and releasing more sugars as they work.

Sorry, but as far as I know malting and mashing turn starch (which yeast can't eat) into sugar (which yeast can eat).

The process of germination goes in the opposite direction to the one that you suggest. A grain is a massive store of starch (and not a lot of protein). The starch is used by the growing seedling as a food source. That is why grains and their products are so bad for diabetics - the starch is converted to sugar by our bodies.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are some low carb breads, but they are made from high fibre high protein ingredients, just taking a normal cereal flour and making bread by any technique is not going to make it diabetes friendly.
A lot here have the Bergen Soya and Linseed bread and find they can eat that ok

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Real sourdough bread is absolutely nothing like any commercial bread you can buy, and is delicious! Not all breads are equal, when I do get my hands on a real proper no nonsense authentic sourdough loaf I can eat a nice slice without it affecting my bs
I used to eat the wonderful Village Bakery "Try Rye" sourdough bread from Waitrose: https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/the-village-bakery-rye-bread/055517-27865-27866
Organic whole rye flour plus salt and water are the only ingredients. If anyone can manage to include bread in their diets without spiking, IMO this is the best. It keeps forever and is delicious fresh, stale and toasted so none is ever wasted.

Reactions: lovinglife

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, but as far as I know malting and mashing turn starch (which yeast can't eat) into sugar (which yeast can eat).

The process of germination goes in the opposite direction to the one that you suggest. A grain is a massive store of starch (and not a lot of protein). The starch is used by the growing seedling as a food source. That is why grains and their products are so bad for diabetics - the starch is converted to sugar by our bodies.
Yes - that happens too, but the protein is also broken down - that is how clear beers are made, as without the breakdown of the proteins it would be cloudy - in wheat the gluten - a protein - is responsible for the rising of the dough as it traps the carbon dioxide, but flour from sprouted wheat would not rise well, unless, perhaps it was from a high protein form of the grain and the sprouting was carefully managed to leave enough protein, though as the enzymes would continue to work a long proving time would be a disadvantage.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to eat the wonderful Village Bakery "Try Rye" sourdough bread from Waitrose: https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/the-village-bakery-rye-bread/055517-27865-27866
Organic whole rye flour plus salt and water are the only ingredients. If anyone can manage to include bread in their diets without spiking, IMO this is the best. It keeps forever and is delicious fresh, stale and toasted so none is ever wasted.
I am trying adding milled seeds, psyllium flour, and the next experiment on bread will be almond flour - but that is for next month as this month I am going to try almond flour and coconut flour as a cake like substance base.
It is definitely better to adulterate wheat flour to make a lower carb result when baking for a diabetic.

BloodThirsty

Bread really is a no-no, but after a considerable amount of research it doesn't get any better than:
"LowCsrb" by Carbzone at 3.7 grms per slice (obtainable from Amazon) and "Hi-Lo" at 5.0 grms per slice (obtainable from large Sainsbury outlets).
The former is texturely similar to the German rye breads, while the later looks and tastes like your typical wholemeal.

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Bread really is a no-no, but after a considerable amount of research it doesn't get any better than:
"LowCsrb" by Carbzone at 3.7 grms per slice (obtainable from Amazon) and "Hi-Lo" at 5.0 grms per slice (obtainable from large Sainsbury outlets).
The former is texturely similar to the German rye breads, while the later looks and tastes like your typical wholemeal.

This
http://www.dimpflmeierbakery.com/product/carb-smart/
1g of carbs per slice, sadly it's only available in USA/Canada and not exported. Its really nice too.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am so envious @Juicetin, I cannot tell you! Always on the lookout for low carb factory/shop-made food with high quality ingredients. It's a lonely deserted trek in low populated parts of the world.... my kitchen just has to do in the meantime.