Over 65s Miss Out On 2018 Quadruple Flu Jab

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My 2017 blood test shows my Neutrophil Count as 1.6, and the 'normal range' as 2 - 7.5.
I don't want to have any injections, even if they were free.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine are below the bottom of the range and marked as 'Abnormal'! :wideyed:
@Bluetit1802 What does this mean? Should my gp have done anything about this, and if so what?
My neutrophils are as often as not low enough to be marked as "abnormal". My GP discussed this with me and said that some people just do have low neutrophils without it causing them any problems. This is particularly the case with certain ethnicities (not mine). Some of the meds I am taking could be causing this problem. As there is no alternative remedy I am keen to go on taking them, so I am not pressing for action. I don't like the idea that my immune system is compromised, but at 76 and with multiple health problems, I just accept that things are not going to be perfect. I used to take beetroot juice daily and I think it may have helped my neutrophils, but obviously it won't have been helping my bg. My blood test in June showed low neutrophils yet again, but oddly the one I have just had shows them as being quite respectable.

Reactions: Prem51
D

Deleted member 308541

This year, five quadrivalent and two trivalent influenza vaccines will be available.

The quadrivalent vaccines include two influenza A strains and two influenza B strains, and there are products available for all age groups from 6 months of age.

These vaccines will contain the following strains:
  • A (H1N1): an A/Michigan/45/2015 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus
  • A (H3N2): an A/Singapore/INFIMH-16-0019/2016 (H3N2)-like virus
  • B: a B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus
  • B: a B/Brisbane/60/2008-like virus.
The trivalent vaccines include two influenza A strains and one influenza B strain. These formulations provide an enhanced immune response and are only recommended for patients aged 65 years and over.

These vaccines will contain the following strains:
  • A (H1N1): an A/Michigan/45/2015 (H1N1)pdm09-like virus
  • A (H3N2): an A/Singapore/INFIMH-16-0019/2016 (H3N2)-like virus
  • B: a B/Phuket/3073/2013-like virus.

Had my Fluvax (Quadrivalent) on 02.05.2018, have had no ill effects with it.

https://www.tga.gov.au/media-release/2018-seasonal-influenza-vaccines

rosco 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Choices are a burden, no choice is tedious. Personally, as a retired nurse, and this certainly is no recommendation, I refused flu jabs every year. The NHS tried to pressurise us into having the vaccine, a fair number of us refused - with thanks - each year. No regrets. Do you own research as they say...

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My 2017 blood test shows my Neutrophil Count as 1.6, and the 'normal range' as 2 - 7.5.
I don't want to have any injections, even if they were free.

Perhaps bring it up next time you see the GP or nurse.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Choices are a burden, no choice is tedious. Personally, as a retired nurse, and this certainly is no recommendation, I refused flu jabs every year. The NHS tried to pressurise us into having the vaccine, a fair number of us refused - with thanks - each year. No regrets. Do you own research as they say...
Why did you refuse the vaccination?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
She also told me that instead of as in previous years when there were several different suppliers of the vaccine, this year there is only one supplier for the whole country. Imagine how many vaccines they must produce! They are restricted on how much can be ordered each month, meaning they could well run out before the end of each month - September, October and November.

I hope they save one for me, my appt is the second to last day of September! :wideyed:

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If I recall correctly by putting more types into the vaccinatio the responce to each type is not as strong.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My neutrophils are as often as not low enough to be marked as "abnormal". My GP discussed this with me and said that some people just do have low neutrophils without it causing them any problems. This is particularly the case with certain ethnicities (not mine). Some of the meds I am taking could be causing this problem. As there is no alternative remedy I am keen to go on taking them, so I am not pressing for action. I don't like the idea that my immune system is compromised, but at 76 and with multiple health problems, I just accept that things are not going to be perfect.
Thanks @Alexandra100 I am of South Asian heritage so I might be one of the ethnicities who have low neutrophils.
A blood test in 2008 showed I had TPO Antibodies of 339 k/uL, which was marked as 'Abnormal'. The normal range is 0 - 15 k/uL. 339 seems really high so I don't know if that was a mistake, but a high TPO Antibodies count apparently indicates an autoimmune disorder, probably Hashimoto's Disease, so my immune system might be compromised too.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Perhaps bring it up next time you see the GP or nurse.
Thanks @Bluetit1802 I will - though given we only get 10 minutes with gp I don't think I will have time to go into everything.
I have made my next appointment with a different gp to the one I usually see, in the hope I might be told more about my test results.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a letter from my surgery saying the NHS has obtained a more effective flu vaccination for the over 65's and it is only available during September as there is a limited supply. Is this the one you are talking about

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a letter from my surgery saying the NHS has obtained a more effective flu vaccination for the over 65's and it is only available during September as there is a limited supply. Is this the one you are talking about
Did they say what it was called? I booked my flu jab at my GP today and the first time they are doing them is 6th October.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did they say what it was called? I booked my flu jab at my GP today and the first time they are doing them is 6th October.
No as I have not booked it yet going to do it tomorrow

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Yes. The "more effective" bit is because it has the extra chemical included in it to boost the immune system. The purpose of that is to help your body fight off any potential flu you may catch despite the vaccination. They assume all over 65s have low immunity, which patently is not the case. However, the vaccine only contains immunity to 3 flu strains, and not the 4th strain that the under 65s are getting.

Yes, it will be in short supply as I mentioned earlier in the thread because the NHS is only using one supplier who have to supply the whole country. Previously there were several suppliers.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Presumably because all their September clinics are fully subscribed. My appointment is 26th October - I booked it 3 weeks ago.
They can only order more vaccine once a month. If they run out in one month it is tough.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Although I don’t believe in having the flu jab, our Practice has had to delay the usual early October date because they won’t get all the vaccines for everybody in time. Other practices will be the same...

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Presumably because all their September clinics are fully subscribed. My appointment is 26th October - I booked it 3 weeks ago.
They can only order more vaccine once a month. If they run out in one month it is tough.

Can you find a local chemist to do it?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Can you find a local chemist to do it?

The same supplier supplies chemists and GPs. Chemists will be able to offer some vaccines but may not be able to offer all of them.

I would rather have mine done by a GP Practice if I had flu jabs. They have your records in front of them. Chemists don’t. Yes, they should pass on that you have had your flu jab done but for me I would (if I had one done-which I don’t) only go to my GP.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

I think you will find the delay is due to some vaccines not being available until 12th October. Our Practice was going to do flu jab session on 13th but decided not to risk it because there is no guarantee that the vaccines will be released to all practices on that date...