Pre

bigladneast

hi my last blood test showed pre-dietetic reading of 44

The doc suggested I used the Newcastle diet to lose some weight I am 6ft 3 and 14st13

Self admission my diet had been poor in 3 months leading up to test and I had been v stressed with sleep pattern all over.

Surely with the test only looking at last 3 months the timing of the test could give everyone a pre dibetic reading at certain times of year I.e Xmas or holidays

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Possibly, but in a way you are fortunate to have been warned. It's estimated that a lot of people are pre-diabetic or Type 2 diabetic but don't know it because they haven't been tested.
I was apparently pre-diabetic for at least 2 years before I became T2 but wasn't told this by my previous GP. The blood tests were only taken because I had been diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Your result of 44 puts you in the Pre Diabetes category. You are right in thinking that your diet does affect the result but what you may not be aware of is what is called Insulin Resistance. People can be insulin resistant for many years before diagnosis without any symptoms but it is this that causes (among other things) Pre Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes.

With your HbA1c of 44 it should be comparatively easy to get back to non Diabetic numbers and stay there but Insulin Resistance means that your body has a problem metabolising carbohydrates and so changes to diet are necessary. And you will have to keep an eye on your lifestyle.

I suspect that you may be going into denial about your diagnosis, please do not ignore this as it is so easy to block things out and end up with full blown Type 2. The changes you need to make at this stage are small, make them now so that you do not have to make bigger changes later.

BloodThirsty

The doc suggested I used the Newcastle diet to lose some weight I am 6ft 3 and 14st13

Self admission my diet had been poor in 3 months leading up to test and I had been v stressed with sleep pattern all over.

Surely with the test only looking at last 3 months the timing of the test could give everyone a pre dibetic reading at certain times of year I.e Xmas or holidays
Regretfully it is what it is and the fact that an indifferent diet resulted in an HbA1c of 44 is a timely reminder to do something about it.
I started an LCHF diet four months ago after my own HbA1c increased from 41 to 45 mmol/mol in twelve months. It has thankfully dropped to 38... a 20% decrease owing to the the low carb diet and associated weight loss of 20 pounds.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes and no. A person with a truly normal reaction to carbs might see a big rise after eating a high carb meal, but then the level of carbs would fall back to normal by eg 2 hours. As the A1c test you had is an average of roughly the past 3 months (albeit with a bias towards the more recent weeks), a person whose bg only rose briefly after meals would not get a high A1c score. That is not to say that there are not many many people who suppose themselves to be "normal" who are actually raising their bgs too much and too often for health. But just because many other people are eating themselves into big trouble, is no reason for you to do the same now you, fortunately, understand that you have a problem.

As others have said, you can lower your next bg and greatly improve your health and prospects by getting a meter and above all reducing the carbs in your diet. But the choice is yours.

bigladneast

I have started the Newcastle diet as a recommendation from doctor this should get me back on the right path and I will maintain afterwards

Reactions: mondFi

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have started the Newcastle diet as a recommendation from doctor this should get me back on the right path and I will maintain afterwards

That is great to read. After reading some of your other posts I couldn't help but think you were looking for excuses as to why your HbA1c was 44 and putting yourself in denial. It is best not to dwell on the whys and hows, but to tackle it head on. I wish you luck and hope you stay around, keep us updated with how you are doing (weight and blood sugars) and ask as many questions as you like.

bigladneast

Week on the diet my weight has dropped 8 lbs if my scales can be trusted, away today at dinner so might have to relax and started back on it tomorrow.

What’s best alcoholic drink to drink

Reactions: Gran25 and Prem51

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I go for a pint of diet coke and a single rum - with ice.
In younger days I used to drink bitter lemon with vodka.
A spirit and diet mixer is the usual advice.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Week on the diet my weight has dropped 8 lbs if my scales can be trusted, away today at dinner so might have to relax and started back on it tomorrow.

Well done, great start. Don't relax too much, keep the carb content low..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am at presentation dinner away would one night on 5-6 beers tonight only harm me ?

The beers will raise your levels. It is known in some circles as "liquid bread". There is a lot of sugar in it. Best to stick to red wine or spirits with a sugar free mixer, in moderation. There are some low carb beers around, but 5 or 6 of them means all those carbs will add up, and so will the calories. Sorry, don't mean to be a party pooper at all, but you did ask!

Reactions: zand

bigladneast

5 gin and diet lemonades it is

Strangely I am on lads weekend to Germany in few weeks doc advise to stop Newcastle diet then go away drink and be merry and then restart when back

Reactions: Prem51

jonathanTHP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

We sometimes tend to give ourselves excuses to reassure ourselves. This is not judgmental - it is just the human nature. You are probably good or borderline at best - but take it as a wake-up call and manage your health whether it is one diet or the other. I was not so lucky and my wake-up call came too late to avoid diabetes...
Good Luck.

Reactions: Prem51

StevePayne

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not flying.....
Good morning,

You seem to be in the same position as I was (6'3", 15st 6, BG 44). My view (for what it's worth) is, set a long term (ie lifestyle) goal - and you've started that, the Newcastle diet - and go with it. Yes Christmas, Birthdays, Lad's Weekends away are bumps in the road, but only that.... The change in lifestyle is just that (2 years on people I work with ask if - and how - I am still on my "diet"), and after the first couple of weeks stops being a chore and turns into a habit, so now 5:2 fasting and LCHF.

Good luck (and keep reading this forum)

Cheers, Steve

Reactions: mondFi and Prem51

bigladneast

Thanks Steve how are you now in terms of test results etc.

Read a lot online where people say if you have pre dibeties you will eventually get dibieties at some point in your life and it scares me.

My diet in the run up to my blood test was poor lot of binge eating, drinking more and very very stressed. Could this have produced the result?

I am now aware that I must eat better no snacking between meals etc