Hot flushes after eating?

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I looked to see if this was discussed before on this forum rather than starting a new thread, but seemed to get linked to threads about other illnesses. I think this is connected to diabetes though.

Sometimes after eating I get really hot. So hot it's like a fever and you can feel the heat radiating out of the top of my head! I get all red and my neck feels hot too. It happens quite soon after a meal and can last an hour or so. It doesn't always happen either.

Googling has landed me with some quite alarming diagnoses that have nothing to do with food but I'm certain it's related to meals because of the timing.

Obvious next step is to ask the doctor, but wondered if it is something other people have experienced.

I'm type 2 newly diagnosed on LCHF for about a month.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
T2 here, LC diet. Years and years ago I would get warm with a high carb meal, but nothing like this Just recently started the sweating at meals, not just forehead, underarms, head and back as well. Like I have run around the block. I also just started on Lisinopril for high blood pressure. It can also come from fatty liver. So, I'm adding back in bitter greens, an apple a day, lemon water, oh and my favorite, beets. we'll see. I see in other postings some people have the sweating with vinegar and/or cheese. I'll see if that makes a difference.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
T2 here, LC diet. Years and years ago I would get warm with a high carb meal, but nothing like this Just recently started the sweating at meals, not just forehead, underarms, head and back as well. Like I have run around the block. I also just started on Lisinopril for high blood pressure. It can also come from fatty liver. So, I'm adding back in bitter greens, an apple a day, lemon water, oh and my favorite, beets. we'll see. I see in other postings some people have the sweating with vinegar and/or cheese. I'll see if that makes a difference.
Do you check your temperature at these times... any pain or discomfort?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'm getting hot face after eating but being tested for gallbladder area problem as i have pain and huge comfort. Which over the months has progressively got worse.

Next time i eat i will check my temperature.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Heat in period of eating is normal thou but im cold/clammy afterwards too.

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football, Icy weather, Getting old.
I looked to see if this was discussed before on this forum rather than starting a new thread, but seemed to get linked to threads about other illnesses. I think this is connected to diabetes though.

Sometimes after eating I get really hot. So hot it's like a fever and you can feel the heat radiating out of the top of my head! I get all red and my neck feels hot too. It happens quite soon after a meal and can last an hour or so. It doesn't always happen either.

Googling has landed me with some quite alarming diagnoses that have nothing to do with food but I'm certain it's related to meals because of the timing.

Obvious next step is to ask the doctor, but wondered if it is something other people have experienced.

I'm type 2 newly diagnosed on LCHF for about a month.

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm getting hot face after eating but being tested for gallbladder area problem as i have pain and huge comfort. Which over the months has progressively got worse.

Next time i eat i will check my temperature.
Just to say that I've been type 2 for a number of years only been on meds for the last couple of years. However I've had this problem for as long as I can remember since being diagnosed. It has made no difference as to how well my blood sugar is controlled and I do not yet have kidney or neuropathy problems and it happens no matter what I eat. Obviously no one yet really knows why this happens. My neighbour who is also type 2 gets the same thing. It's something to do with being diabetic but no one has found the answer. All the theories here don't fit any case I know of.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
In my first diagnosed days i was told by dn that it's when the body is reducing the high blood sugar so its sweats it out and wees it out.
I dont get sweats unless walking after eating. The facial heat is an infection. It seems.

onnecar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
It could be the case. Since even when blood tests show that glucose levels are okay and averages okay there is still a lot more spiking after meals with diabetics. Not much we can do about it other than stop eating really. I think some of us are referring to the hot body flashes and not just the facial area. There is no other accountable reason for it in my case. Even with meds our bodies are not operating the same way as non diabetics. Meds help reduce the possible consequences but they aren't a miracle cure unfortunately.

Reactions: Serena51

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Oh! I was wondering about just this! I get cheese sweats too - like the meat sweats from my carnivore days. Glad it’s not just me, I was going to post about it when I got around to it.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
My face gets really hot and sweaty if I eat cheese!

Hypo 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When my blood sugar starts to go below a certain point and I am unaware of it because I haven't yet started to feel hungry I suddenly feel very cold and no matter how many layers of clothes I put on I can't warm up and then a little later I get suddenly mentally exhausted then shortly after that I suddenly get ravenously hungry and feel faint and sick and confused and absolutely have to have something to eat within 2 minutes. On the other hand if I have any food or sugar intake regardless of my blood sugar level at the time I usually have a hot flush shortly afterwards. The heat doesn't last long but causes a lot of sweating. Even 3 sips of a sweet drink is sufficient to give me a flush. It seems that following hypoglycaemia it causes a greater sugar spike when taking something sweet. I don't know if its the calories literally heating the blood too quickly to adjust my thermostat after having chills from hypoglycaemia. Just to complicate things I also sometimes get flushing and sweating instead of chills when my blood sugar is low. Often I have no appetite due to low stomach acid and it seems it takes a few stress responses from my system like sweating for me to recognise that I need food before I get to the stage of feeling faint but as other things make me sweat too I don't always recognise it at the time. I have other health problems too and symptoms of adrenal exhaustion. It may be that my system is often slow at sending out a stress response from my adrenals so I don't flush on those occasions and instead feel very cold but once I have a bit of sugar in my system it kick starts things and I get flushed.

Reactions: Serena51 and ataxpc

ataxpc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, Heart disease and High blood pressure
When my blood sugar starts to go below a certain point and I am unaware of it because I haven't yet started to feel hungry I suddenly feel very cold and no matter how many layers of clothes I put on I can't warm up and then a little later I get suddenly mentally exhausted then shortly after that I suddenly get ravenously hungry and feel faint and sick and confused and absolutely have to have something to eat within 2 minutes. On the other hand if I have any food or sugar intake regardless of my blood sugar level at the time I usually have a hot flush shortly afterwards. The heat doesn't last long but causes a lot of sweating. Even 3 sips of a sweet drink is sufficient to give me a flush. It seems that following hypoglycaemia it causes a greater sugar spike when taking something sweet. I don't know if its the calories literally heating the blood too quickly to adjust my thermostat after having chills from hypoglycaemia. Just to complicate things I also sometimes get flushing and sweating instead of chills when my blood sugar is low. Often I have no appetite due to low stomach acid and it seems it takes a few stress responses from my system like sweating for me to recognise that I need food before I get to the stage of feeling faint but as other things make me sweat too I don't always recognise it at the time. I have other health problems too and symptoms of adrenal exhaustion. It may be that my system is often slow at sending out a stress response from my adrenals so I don't flush on those occasions and instead feel very cold but once I have a bit of sugar in my system it kick starts things and I get flushed.

Hi, I am at the moment trialling a no Metformin regime for a month agreed with my GP, after that I intend to do the same with my Astorvastatin as I have read on this forum either or both might be causing my symptoms. Like you my body thermostat doesn’t work any more, I regularly (every time I put something in my mouth) get a heavily sweating flush that lasts about 5-10 minutes, I also have a regular flush every 20-30 minutes, basically I sweat non stop now, this has gotten this bad over the last 3-4 years and for no reason. I also take medication for blood pressure, cardio, tummy troubles and mental health (depression and anxiety), reading through a lot of the posts on here I am persuaded any combination of any drug regime can cause our symptoms but generally Metformin and/or statins singly or together are the most likely culprits, I hope this helps, we are not alone, keep an eye out for my results, cheers Bob...

Reactions: Serena51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi, I am at the moment trialling a no Metformin regime for a month agreed with my GP, after that I intend to do the same with my Astorvastatin as I have read on this forum either or both might be causing my symptoms. Like you my body thermostat doesn’t work any more, I regularly (every time I put something in my mouth) get a heavily sweating flush that lasts about 5-10 minutes, I also have a regular flush every 20-30 minutes, basically I sweat non stop now, this has gotten this bad over the last 3-4 years and for no reason. I also take medication for blood pressure, cardio, tummy troubles and mental health (depression and anxiety), reading through a lot of the posts on here I am persuaded any combination of any drug regime can cause our symptoms but generally Metformin and/or statins singly or together are the most likely culprits, I hope this helps, we are not alone, keep an eye out for my results, cheers Bob...
I've stopped metformin and statins. My sweats are weird at mo. Blood tests have confirm no menopause, yet. Although my prolactin levels are double what they should be but not in the thousands like if a tumour in pituitary gland. Stress is its cause, for me. So I may have found my culprit. (Hormonal)

JoolP

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah ha, you’ve named the culprits for me thank you. For the past couple of years I’ve struggled with perspiration, eat or drink anything not cold and the sweat pours from me for at least 10 minutes and any activity that isn’t dosile I’m the same. I am in my menopause but have been for 6 years now.
Exhausted all the time, interrupted sleep every night but I do manage to nod back off but never for more than a couple of hours, could sleep every couple of hours in the day!
I’ve been taken off Atorvistatin and put on Fexofenadine and Ezetimine.
Just drank a Luke warm cup of tea and am now soaked.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have at last found a side effect I didn't have - I don't have any temperature regulation problems - never did have even though I am past menopause - I never even noticed that had happened until several months later.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou both!

Hello Catherine, that certainly sounds like it! I don't like the suggestion that it could be linked to kidney problems but it did mention cheese and vinegar as triggers (and I had both before the last episode).

Jack, I've looked that up too and it's certainly a possibility.

I'm very new to diabetes and trying to avoid going on medication but so much is trial and error at this stage! I'm keeping a diary of BG levels and food I eat. I think I'll add hot flushes to this and see if I notice a pattern!

That SERIOUSLY might be it, if not a factor. Sweating had stopped again until two weeks ago. I will have to pay attention. processed cheese like cheddar isn't it, but blue cheese may be... UH OH !!! And I'm positive vinegar, unpasteurized apple cider probably. Also am OFF allergy meds now. So we'll see.

Beruška

Hi there,

Myself I don’t have a diabetes, but I struggle due to food reactions a lot. Don’t know what to do anymore, who to ask, where to go. Have visited hundreds of doctors and never got any answer. The tests came out negative. I experience hot flushes into my faces everytime I put something into my mouth. Basicaly whole body is hot like under the fever but the extremities are freezing. (I do not Sweat usually, but my lips get really dry) after most of the food I also get “brain fog” get down, can’t concentrate, think, also extremely tired, so I am out of my mind for hour or two, then I get back and all is fine. Sometimes I also experience symptoms like “sand in my eyes”, migraine (rarely), palpitation (not that often Lately) muscle pain, sometimes urgent urination. When I dar something “bad” which can be anything have no idea what is the cause of my trouble, ŠL when I eat at the evening I get feverish straight after getting off my bed. The only food I tolerate without a problem are raw salads. (And when stablized also fruit and Nuts) anything else is a horror. But despite the fact that I am barely eating I am not loosing weight. Please if someone have these symptoms and know what could be the cause or who to contact, how to deal with it...will be so grateful for an any advice.
Thank you
Barbora

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

Myself I don’t have a diabetes, but I struggle due to food reactions a lot. Don’t know what to do anymore, who to ask, where to go. Have visited hundreds of doctors and never got any answer. The tests came out negative. I experience hot flushes into my faces everytime I put something into my mouth. Basicaly whole body is hot like under the fever but the extremities are freezing. (I do not Sweat usually, but my lips get really dry) after most of the food I also get “brain fog” get down, can’t concentrate, think, also extremely tired, so I am out of my mind for hour or two, then I get back and all is fine. Sometimes I also experience symptoms like “sand in my eyes”, migraine (rarely), palpitation (not that often Lately) muscle pain, sometimes urgent urination. When I dar something “bad” which can be anything have no idea what is the cause of my trouble, ŠL when I eat at the evening I get feverish straight after getting off my bed. The only food I tolerate without a problem are raw salads. (And when stablized also fruit and Nuts) anything else is a horror. But despite the fact that I am barely eating I am not loosing weight. Please if someone have these symptoms and know what could be the cause or who to contact, how to deal with it...will be so grateful for an any advice.
Thank you
Barbora

Barbora, this is quite an old thread. You may receive more replies if you start your own. Welcome to the forum by the way.

Beruška

Thank you for the replay. But where should I start a new one? Don’t know anybody who would have even a similar symptoms...