Shared GP appointments

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a brilliant idea to me .. It's one of the ways Dr Unwin gets his patients to help each other out when low carbing.. More experienced patients can advise newer ones.. The Head of the Royal College of GP's was explaining this on Radio 4 yesterday.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This seems innovative and appropriate for the management of chronic health conditions where lifestyle change is key. Hopefully it allows for sharing of ideas that have worked that are less conventional i.e. low carb with appropriate caveats offered by the GP but with the general result being an increase in collective knowledge not to mention inspiration to try new things..

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The benefits would depend on what advice was being given or encouraged to be shared. I can foresee a ban or ridicule on low carb conversations by some drs judging by what I’ve read on these forums.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Interesting idea, hopefully my experience of talking to other type II diabetics in the waiting room (DN has a diabetic blood taking morning) isn't an indicator of a group session. On a couple of occasions I have been asked what medication I take and the person asking the question has been surprised that after 21 years I'm on less medication (Metformin only) than before. Trying to talk about low carb is definitely in the realms of flogging a dead horse and I've had people say things like "That can't be good for you" and "I couldn't possibly do that". I look forward to meeting like minded people, I know they go to my surgery, my GP has told me about the one other person who has achieved fantastic results following not only low carb but VLCD. I'll give anything a try, we shall see.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It would be an interesting situation if a GP who does not support LC, or at least sticks to the official line, has someone advocating LC in one of these group sessions. How would the GP deal with it? That's assuming they are group sessions rather than lectures.

Reactions: HSSS

lindisfel

Expert
It would be an interesting situation if a GP who does not support LC, or at least sticks to the official line, has someone advocating LC in one of these group sessions. How would the GP deal with it? That's assuming they are group sessions rather than lectures.
I think it very much depends if the GP thinks what he says is inerrent truth from the mouthpiece of God.
In which case one will get treated like all dissenters faced with ultimate authority.
A low carber may be seen as threatening the whole group.

Then the doctors education should make them more tolerant.

I went to a Methodist group once where the minister was supposed to represent and a give a presentation on the dangers of climate change! He totally rejected the science based view I held, which was his brief and most there were driven into silence.

However I have always been given into speaking truth to power.

Test the waters first with your Diabetic nurse.

Nb. A prophet is not accepted in his home territory! (J.C)! :)
D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Energize

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I,m not sure what I think about this

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it’s an awful idea. It won’t happen without consent I suspect as there is such a thing as patient confidentiality. I certainly wouldn’t want local people I don’t know knowing my medical details! Haha my family don’t even know. It would be a definite NO from me.

Reactions: Serena51 and Dodo

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I can see pros and cons re shared appointments. Overall, I would expect things to be rather 'generic' as opposed to individual issues. Also, I don't do well in groups so a max of another one, or two, would be my limit - missing the point of the sharing ;)

Reactions: Serena51

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I think it’s an awful idea. It won’t happen without consent I suspect as there is such a thing as patient confidentiality. I certainly wouldn’t want local people I don’t know knowing my medical details! Haha my family don’t even know. It would be a definite NO from me.

A confidentiality form has to be signed by those taking part I believe.

Any way not for me I think there's no way I'm stripping off in front of a bunch of strangers for a physical examination and thats it.

Well unless it's for a lot of money and there's music.

Reactions: Dodo and Flora123

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
up to 2 hours long? hmm.....................can i stand up to 2 hours of pressure to shut up about low carbing?

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If this is more like a self-help or support group then OK, but I don't want to have my feet tickled in front of everyone! Surely 'appointment' is the wrong word?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Not for me. I value my privacy and besides that I don't want witnesses when I smack the DN when she carps on about statins.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think diabetes must be one of the very conditions where the NHS advice has been so out of line with the experience of many diabetics and in fact the eat carbs advice will have caused harm to many and let's be honest early amputations and premature death; it's been that bad. It has improved over the last year or so but I do wonder how a GP would handle a mixed group with some saying the NHS have got it completely wrong. I'm sure the NHS leaders suggesting this group approach have no idea what they may have opened up.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think diabetes must be one of the very conditions where the NHS advice has been so out of line with the experience of many diabetics and in fact the eat carbs advice will have caused harm to many and let's be honest early amputations and premature death; it's been that bad. It has improved over the last year or so but I do wonder how a GP would handle a mixed group with some saying the NHS have got it completely wrong. I'm sure the NHS leaders suggesting this group approach have no idea what they may have opened up.
I'm not sure its so much the NHS as the Royal College of GP's making the suggestion..

Birdwoman

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you take friends?? If so, we could get a crowd together and hit it hard!!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I first saw this thread my reaction was 'great, save time and cost for the NHS and get a group shared experience/exchange of ideas'.

But I have spent too much time on the forum, haven't I? Where people get to create their own posts, post and discuss in their own time.

What I am quite sure would happen in one of these Groups is that people with various knowledge and experience would sit in a circle while the doctor informed them all about what they should be doing - diet, exercise, cholesterol, footcare, eyetests, etc. No time for tailored personal info, and heaven help the person who raised their head above the parapet (vegan, low carber, binge drinker, chocolate addict, eating disorder...)

The thought of being stuck in room contradicting a doctor who is propounding the Eatwell Plate, in front of 10 T2s, most of whom don't have a clue that there are carbs in bread, would not fill me with joy. And I doubt that same doc would like me encouraging those 10 people to test their blood glucose, count carbs, eat to their (self funded) meters, and ignore orthodox advice on safe glucose levels, carbs not being an essential nutrient, and how 'just one' really does hurt.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
When I first saw this thread my reaction was 'great, save time and cost for the NHS and get a group shared experience/exchange of ideas'.

But I have spent too much time on the forum, haven't I? Where people get to create their own posts, post and discuss in their own time.

What I am quite sure would happen in one of these Groups is that people with various knowledge and experience would sit in a circle while the doctor informed them all about what they should be doing - diet, exercise, cholesterol, footcare, eyetests, etc. No time for tailored personal info, and heaven help the person who raised their head above the parapet (vegan, low carber, binge drinker, chocolate addict, eating disorder...)

The thought of being stuck in room contradicting a doctor who is propounding the Eatwell Plate, in front of 10 T2s, most of whom don't have a clue that there are carbs in bread, would not fill me with joy. And I doubt that same doc would like me encouraging those 10 people to test their blood glucose, count carbs, eat to their (self funded) meters, and ignore orthodox advice on safe glucose levels, carbs not being an essential nutrient, and how 'just one' really does hurt.

I agree. I have been on a couple of NHS courses (not Diabetes related) and my main bone of contention has been the fact that they are so very generic.