Had diabetes education today

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
The Cadbury's cocoa is 14 percent carbs.
The cocoa powder I use is about 8 percent carbs - I just look for the one with the least amount, as they do vary.

This one has carbs but no of sugars.

Soo confusing.

Is the level of carbs still bad or good because of the no of sugars?
IMG_9607.jpg

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Soo confusing.

View attachment 28962
Practically all carbs turn to sugar once ingested. So whether they started out as sugars doesn't really matter. Which is why potatoes or pasta, which aren't sweet or sugary, but are full of carbs, make your blood glucose rise too. The whole "of which sugars" doesn't really do anything but confuse matters.

Reactions: kitedoc

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Thanks everyone. Hopefully the fat bombs will come out ok!!

At the class this week they said dark chocolate was fine. 70%

Now I’m not sure about getting it because I’m not overly convinced I have beaten my sugar addiction (it was bad) and don’t want to trigger it again.

But might try some chocolate.

Is 70% ok or should I go darker?

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Now I’m not sure about getting it because I’m not overly convinced I have beaten my sugar addiction (it was bad) and don’t want to trigger it again.

I find that 70% is too sweet and I do much better with 85% or 90%. I could (and have) eaten the whole 100g of 70% in one go but am happy with just 10g of the 85 or 90%. Also I find I now love it's strong slightly bitter taste. It takes me a couple of weeks to stop craving for the 70%.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Lindt's 85% is pretty good. The higher, the better. (And if you find it too bitter on its own, have a little butter or walnuts with it).

Reactions: kitedoc and Prem51

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the 85% chocolate, and the good news is that I can't eat more than a couple of squares of it because...well... it doesn't exactly taste like the chocolates of my past. But, a lot of it is about how to incorporate it when I would like a treat (without it being as bad for me as a regular chocolate bar).

It goes really well as a grated topping on a couple of strawberries and Hartley's 10-cal jelly topped with whipped double cream, and chopped nuts if I feel like it. And in grating it - you get what looks like mounds of chocolate and it's really just a square or two. It's not a great on the road example, but it's very quick when you're at home.

I didn't eat chocolate for months after starting LCHF eating. And then I tried a bite of my son's Snickers bar. It was SOOOO sweet! Tastes really do change after a while, as I used to love chocolate bars.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Soo confusing.

View attachment 28962
That one is even higher carbs, the sugar content is not really all that important, carbs are what count.
As carbs are not considered important it seems that there is a lot of variation between producers - we really need to get over to them that carbs ARE important.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Am totally fed up!! Well I’ve had a great day, went to ally pally for their knitting show (love knitting and crochet - keeps me sane). Halfway through for no reason I just started to feel but woozy. If I looked up or moved head sideways I just felt dizzy!! Have drank loads eaten stuff with salt in (although my food choices were not carby amazing).
But I am just fed up with their being something wrong every day or few days!!

Wouldn’t it be nice if just once since diagnosis something didn’t seem to be awry!!

Anyway got the rest of the weekend off so going to rest and hope whatever this is disappears, if not back to doctors on Monday!!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am totally fed up!! Well I’ve had a great day, went to ally pally for their knitting show (love knitting and crochet - keeps me sane). Halfway through for no reason I just started to feel but woozy. If I looked up or moved head sideways I just felt dizzy!! Have drank loads eaten stuff with salt in (although my food choices were not carby amazing).

Wouldn’t it be nice if just once since diagnosis something didn’t seem to be awry!!

Anyway got the rest of the weekend off so going to rest and hope whatever this is disappears, if not back to doctors on Monday!!
It's probably your blood sugars normalising.. after your high HbA1c your body has got used to running with very high blood sugar levels. As they start to come down it might feel a bit odd. Not a cause for concern in fact one for celebration. Are you measuring or not? If you are its worth checking to see what level you are when you feel odd.. it should soon pass.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
It's probably your blood sugars normalising.. after your high HbA1c your body has got used to running with very high blood sugar levels. As they start to come down it might feel a bit odd. Not a cause for concern in fact one for celebration. Are you measuring or not? If you are its worth checking to see what level you are when you feel odd.. it should soon pass.

I was a 9 something.

It was hot but even once cooled down and once home not really improved.
Only other possible is I forgot to take my tablet (forxiga) last night. Although that’s not hugely unusual as I have missed it before with no consequences. Although I’ve been quite good last couple weeks!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It does take time - even going low carb the instant I was diagnosed it took several months to get normal responses. A long period of non regulation requires a lot of correcting. Swifter than normal changes can happen, causing the senses to feel there has to be something wrong.
I do a lot of knitting, both hand and machine and crochet with a bit of spinning and weaving as well - my profession and my interest - I was involved in the making of a floral cosy for a red phone box to advertise the Clangers, which stood outside BBC Broadcasting House. I could not claim that it keeps me sane - the next project was a hand knitted robe for a Jedi night

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was a 9 something.

It was hot but even once cooled down and once home not really improved.
Only other possible is I forgot to take my tablet (forxiga) last night. Although that’s not hugely unusual as I have missed it before with no consequences. Although I’ve been quite good last couple weeks!!
Not sure about the meds as I don't take any.. 9 is quite low for you though?

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Not sure about the meds as I don't take any.. 9 is quite low for you though?

Not really. I usually wake up in 6 or 7. That was about 2 hours after a sandwich I think so I guess after that I would think it was higher.

I then had bowl of chips at 4.30-5 and tested at 7.15 and got 7.3 which I thought was incredibly low given the chips. But I had done fair bit of walking compared to what I normally do.

Don’t think my sugars have gone much lower than usual. Given its weekend I can test them more so I’ll do that tomorrow

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans

Hi @Cana, I hope you recover quickly. I have suffered dizziness in the past because of dehydration so I tend to drink lots of water during and after an outing in warm weather. The dizziness with moving one's head could be some other cause so if no better the doctor may have the answer. It may not be diabetes-related either !!

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Hi @Cana, I hope you recover quickly. I have suffered dizziness in the past because of dehydration so I tend to drink lots of water during and after an outing in warm weather. The dizziness with moving one's head could be some other cause so if no better the doctor may have the answer. It may not be diabetes-related either !!

Thanks. Yea I’ve had vertigo before but it’s not as severe as that but keep chucking my head back and forth in case it is to dislodge whatever is there!!

Better today but not perfect!!

I’m seeing nurse anyway on Tuesday but need to work Monday so staying under blanket today and crocheting! Other than getting up sometimes to tidy house!! Head feels bit buzzy so hoping just a bug!

Drank bucketloads yesterday so hoping just a bug !!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Yea I’ve had vertigo before but it’s not as severe as that but keep chucking my head back and forth in case it is to dislodge whatever is there!!

Better today but not perfect!!

I’m seeing nurse anyway on Tuesday but need to work Monday so staying under blanket today and crocheting! Other than getting up sometimes to tidy house!! Head feels bit buzzy so hoping just a bug!

Drank bucketloads yesterday so hoping just a bug !!

Cana - What medications do you take, including those not related to your diabetes? I know some medications can lead to a "buzzy" head, although it's not anything I have experienced myself. Sometimes as we start to bring our previously uncontrolled blood sugars into range other things in our lives need to adjust or be adjusted accordingly.

It's just a thought.

woollygal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Coffee diabetes
Cana - What medications do you take, including those not related to your diabetes? I know some medications can lead to a "buzzy" head, although it's not anything I have experienced myself. Sometimes as we start to bring our previously uncontrolled blood sugars into range other things in our lives need to adjust or be adjusted accordingly.

It's just a thought.

Nothing else. Other than paracetamol
If I have headache etc